• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Bumpsteer bad. Can someone check my angles

I dont think so. If so thats a prett Fawked up setup, Why the hell would somebody do that??

It keeps the drag link in the factory location, below the knuckle so the trackbar and drag link stay parallel. The tie rod has a bend near the knuckle so it clears the draglink. If they mount it above the knuckle, then this would require welding a bracket to move the trackbar up too and it wouldn't be bolt-on.

That's not what I was told when I had my rig inspected by an off road specialty shop. They told me if the suspension cycles and your steering turns or jerks during this cycle then it's bumpsteer. For instance, when I would climb over this 1 foot rock, my steering would turn to the left on it's own and I would have to correct it. The cause of it was the drop pitman arm putting the draglink out of sync with the trackbar. Once I removed that drop arm, the bumpsteer was gone and i could cycle the suspension with zero movement in the steering. It made perfect sense to me. Perhaps the 22 year off road vet was wrong........or it's the same thing, explained differently??
Either the 22 year old offroading vet was wrong or you misunderstood him.

http://www.kentongrayracing.com/racing101.php

http://www.tireboys.com/expert_lexicon.htm

http://motortrend.automotive.com/34571/112-9607-technical-terms/index.html

I dont think so. If so thats a prett Fawked up setup, Why the hell would somebody do that??

x2, that's why I think the IronRock setup looks screwed up as well....

Caster doesn't cause death wobble, but it will hide or magnify the real issue... just like a wheel to wheel tie rod, and steering stabilizer will.

Have someone shake the wheel back and forth with the vehicle running while you watch and feel every link, bracket, and bushing under the front end. If you don't find anything repeat with a wheel against something (tree or whatever) to check everything under a load.

If you don't find anything loose check your toe. If that is in spec swap on a set of tires from something that doesn't death wobble.

If it's gone at that point you know your issue.

That is the strangest setup I've ever seen. I didn't think it was installed right at first, but it looks pretty close to the mfg. picture in the directions.

Last edited:
im going monday morning to pull the 2inch spacers out of there and throw some cheap 30 inch tires to drive around on while i work out this suspension and steering.

Hopefully pulling the spacers and running drop brackets will get my control arm angles a little better and maybe help my steering.

That is the strangest setup I've ever seen. I didn't think it was installed right at first, but it looks pretty close to the mfg. picture in the directions. It still seems to me like the tracbar would need to be lowered at the axle end to be "right".

As far as trac bar and drag link; your looking for similar angles AND similar lengths. One can certainly make up for (or hinder) the other to a certain extent. For instance the change in drag link length of our 1-ton setup OTK from stock seem to minimizes the difference in angles.

I got the 2inch spacers out tonight and now im sitting at around 6inchs and there a huge difference in handling. rides so much better now. No death wobble on the way home. Putting it on the lift tuesday to wiggle everything and make sure its all tight

160c7kx.jpg

1z1cuom.jpg

Alright so like I said I took out the 2inch spacers.

It looks like my axle is really angled down. The lower control brackets are angled really bad also.

I just want to get this dialed..... Getting death wobble crusing at 80 on the highway is scary as shit lol

You really need to get those control arms leveled out. That looks scary to operate.....

160c7kx.jpg

1z1cuom.jpg

Alright so like I said I took out the 2inch spacers.

It looks like my axle is really angled down. The lower control brackets are angled really bad also.

I just want to get this dialed..... Getting death wobble crusing at 80 on the highway is scary as shit lol
Brackets dont really count,but those CA angles are out of this world!

Back