• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Bumpers

stp189

NAXJA Forum User
After my 8.8, 4:56 and ARB this weekend I am going to focus on getting a winch. What is the best bumper that has a winch cradle? I allready have a 2 inch reciever up front, but I feel that will take away my aproach angle and I don't want to have to take it off and on.

Any Help.

winch

check out our design www.wnccustomjeeps.com Under what we do. Very good approach angle! feel free to PM me with questions. dave

do your own custom bumper(if you can), then you can design it how you want it.

I'm running the custom 4x4 fabrication front bumper...they're practically made for the x8000i (which i also have) and are really, really solid. hth

check out www.bpifab.com their winch bumpers are real nice and not too expensive:
IMG_3687.jpg

Dang Fatwreck, how many BPI bumpers have you had!?! ;)

Anyone try a Tomken protec system? front or rear...if rear have you tried their tire swing?

Just curious as I'm about to replace my bumpers with the Bulletproof system, but I'm still up for other options...

The BPI set up looks pretty good for my front as I'm not looking for a in bumper winch set up.

Matt

mdwatkins said:
Anyone try a Tomken protec system? front or rear...if rear have you tried their tire swing?

Just curious as I'm about to replace my bumpers with the Bulletproof system, but I'm still up for other options...

The BPI set up looks pretty good for my front as I'm not looking for a in bumper winch set up.

I have the tompken tire carrier. I am not sure if it is the protec or not. I am not aware if Tompken has 2 different kinds of tire carriers. The one that I have which is on their Web site has much to be desired. The front bumper is great. The rear is pretty good but the swing out tire carrier has a few problems. I do not like the hinge. It doesn't get very tight and it is a bit low for my taste and it is hard to detach. Whebn I do my tire carrier again it will not be with Tompken.

Andy at Carolina Rock Shop did a great job on my bumper. Has my Warn 9.5ti tucked up tight leaving a nice approach angle.
Check it out at www.carolinarockshop.com under fabrication, then front bumpers.

mdwatkins said:

Matt

Have you checked out the price of the Bulletproof bumers yet? It's rediculous. They are $1000 apeice at least. And then you have to add in shipping. You're looking at $2500 bucks for those. Sure their are beefy, but too heavy IMO and the rear bumper - well sucks for $1200. It doesn't look like it belongs on an XJ and the corner guards are a joke.

I just bought front and rear BPI bumpers for $1500 or so shipped!

Front winch bumper w/ brush guard d-rings, painted
Rear w/ tire carrier, receiver, d-rings, painted

And Tim is a very nice guy. Great to deal with and willing to do anything.

Very glad I finally decided on BPI and I haven't even gotten the bumpers yet lol!

I agree w/ basalt51 regarding bulletproof bumpers as far as price for both, thier front is too much for me, the rear isn't light but I havn't weighed it against other bumpers, and if you need lots of protection from corner guards then it might not be the best option.
Why do I love my rear bulletproof bumper? First of all it kept my stock XJ off the slickrock on the Hells Revenge trail very nicely. The swingout rocks, it's dead solid rattle free and they will customize it with the options you want, havn't seen a better swingout option yet(not that there isn't one). Looks are perfect and balanced on a cherokee not only matching my xj's lines and overall shape, but not to beefy, and also matched the front bumper I went with. Looks are important to me so if it looked bad I wouldn't have forked out that much for it.
And while I'm slinging out my opinions here, the best looking front bumper out there to this day is made by http://www.durango4x4.com/xjfront.htm
If what you want isn't out there or too expensive then as mentioned before, build it yourself. have fun!

:lecture:

Your bumper choice is your opinion in what you think looks good, what you can afford, and most importantly what your intended usage will be. Because there are so many bumpers out there that are different and there are so many types of abuse to protect against, I wouldn't make it a habit of talking trash about a product I havn't used or don't like the looks of or that doesn't work for my intended usage because it might make another XJ owner perfectly happy either by looks or by function or both! To each his own!

Back