• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

BigK's XJs

So where is this trail ? Are there more near it? Dinkey creek? thats out by the Dusy and Swamp? Josh doesn't seem to have this trail mapped out.

Yeah this is out there. Dusy and swamp are a bit south of these ones. The campground I stayed at is about 10 minutes away from the dusy/ swamp trailhead. Ill grab my map later and snap a pic.

awesome thanks man.
looks like a fun trail.

Karl the weather looks awesome! Are these recent? I wanna squeeze in a trip possibly

Those were from this June. Yeah man, I'll actually be in Yosemite for a week after Christmas. Maybe I can squeeze in a day trip out to the dinkey creek area after since they're about 2 hours away. I'll check my schedule and let you know, it'll be cold out there though.

Jon, I have the picture on my phone, I'll upload it tonight.

Yeah, I'm thinking either the 30th or the 31st of December. Couple days? One day? Swamp would be nice, I've never run it, but red lake is still some good fun even though its an easier trail. If we can get some other guys interested lets definitely do a swamp run.

http://i1358.photobucket.com/albums/q766/Karl_Nordhoff/20141106_0855421_zpsa4175460.jpg

there ya go Jon,
The trails I did were the Coyote trail, and the Brewer Lake trail. I was completely off on where I thought swamp and dusy were, which makes me wonder what I actually saw.

That picture is horrible, I apologize. If you're really interested, I can see about scanning it and emailing it to you. I couldn't find a single map of that area online when I was planning the trip.

Been a while since I've updated. Not much has happened since, I've been spending a lot of time on how I want my DD to end up. I'll probably be shooting for a 2" and 30ish inch tires with some steelies once I finish my 4x4 conversion, which I have not worked on since I stole a knuckle off of it for my rig. I'll be getting some new ball joints courtesy of my father out of the deal so thats nice. What I'm trying to say is: I'm going to possibly have some suspension components available in the near future for a 4.5" ish lift, I'll have to go through and see what i'll want to use on my rig vs what I don't need.
About that lp dana 30 for my dd:
I'm basically just going to fix the mounts and run it, no truss, gearing or lockers. I'll put that money into other stuff. I've been thinking of the best way to go about fixing the mounts, and the best thing I've found has been Ballistic Fab's TJ-XJ Combo Bracket Upgrade Kit (but they've been out of stock). I've spent the past week trying to (periodically) get a hold of them: calls, Emails, facebook, all during their "business hours". Only received one message from them asking for my phone number so they could talk to me about it. I tried them the next day and got the same treatment; so I'll be taking my business elsewhere.

Oh look, the same product right here in stock. That's how you lose customers Ballistic Fab.

Any way, here is a link to my picture (and video) album from my Dinkey Creek trip in July. I have more videos but they exceed photobucket's upload size so I'm loading them into youtube and ill post the links when they're available. It was a blast, and for my buddies who had never been wheeling before it was an awesome camping trip. The landscape was beautiful, but after a few days we realized just how many people were out there and it really made it seem less secluded.

Pics

I've ordered some headlight parts, harness and housings, that should be here next week so I can post some progress pics. After that I have a small list of stuff to do to the rig before the toy run at Hollister.

FWIW, it looks like they are a Ballistic Fab dealer so you wouldn't exactly be "sticking it to the man"

While I love their products, they have absolutely piss poor service and everyone knows it.

Hmm...
I'm really torn, those brackets would solve a lot of my problems, but I really don't want to support bad customer service. Well I'll be messaging around with solidworks later today anyway, I'll see about designing something myself and sending it to a local fab shop.
Thanks for the tip.

Artec's customer service is only about a thousand times better than Ballistic fab.
you can't loose with Ruffstuff either. they don't mess around, they just ship the right part at the right price right away.

Artec was my first choice, but pretty much every mount on the axle save for the drivers side uca is bent, which is why I like the ballistic fab brackets. I might end up getting them from that other site that has them just to save myself the hassle of dealing with trying to unbend and fortify the stock stuff thats on there. Ruffstuff is good stuff, but as much as I want to re-design the steering and run a low-lift otk steering and over the axle trackbar, I just don't have the time or the resources. This is for my dd after all.

I got a little done in prep for the toy run, not as much as I like, but hopefully I can get out there tonight without getting rained on so I can button some stuff up.

thought I had a lock-rite in the rear, so I wanted to check and make sure it was set up correctly from the po, and also the diff was leaking so that had to be addressed.
20141118_1510431_zps6f7cc5c6.jpg

Whered the Lock-rite go?

I also finally mounted the CB, just a temporary spot until I can install the overhead console and stuff it up there. Gotta get that wired up soon too. I don't know where the best spot is for the antenna I got: a tuneable 4' firestik, but I picked up some 3/16 bar stock so I can make up a nice mount for it. I'm thinking either on the hood or on the tire carrier. I keep hearing about ground planes and weird things about wavelengths and body intererence, so I'm all confused, but I think the hood is the best spot.
20141120_0908291_zps2e99538f.jpg

I think I'll go with these for the price, they seem to be the best. Some choice work with a jigsaw and those coil plates will work just fine. I'll give them a call and if things go well they should be here in a week or so... It is a Ballistic Fab product, so we'll see. If these aren't available I'm just going to draw up my own and have someone make them.

Edit: got a call back just now. I'm going with these. Just leaves me the track bar mount and the PS UCA mount.

Last edited:
hmmm axle tube diameter could be a problem.
Also control arm length.
this is aggravating, Im going to talk to the machine shop at school. I signed up for classes today for next quarter and got into the machining and cnc class. scyoooooorrrreeeeee. Hopefully ill have this axle done by my birthday hahaha. ughhh...

Only possible problem I see is the degree angle the arms sit at. Interested to see the outcome of this.

Twinhauler, did you buy the D30 specific mounts
http://www.artecindustries.com/Dana-30-HD-Lower-Control-Arm-Brackets-pair_p_372.html

or the generic?
http://www.artecindustries.com/Lower-Link-Axle-Brackets-pair_p_252.html

Yeah the angle would push the axle forward a bit, then if i wanted to use those as well I would have to make a spacer to convert from the minimum 3" axle tube mount on those brackets to fit the 2.5" od of the axle tube, thereby pushing the axle forward another .5". For 31's its just not feasible, unless anyone knows any shorter than xj sized adjustable arms that will work. I'll check Ironman Andy's site for stuff later but I have school now till 6:30 then its crunch time to finish the jeep for saturday. This whole thing can wait, but I do have a couple weeks free coming up and it would be nice to get it done.

Back