• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

BigK's XJs

Bummer, is it new at least?

I'll shoot you a text Thursday or Friday. Is your driveway flat and level? I don't know if my jack is tall enough for your jeep so we may have to use unsafe methods to get the transmission out, level ground would make it safer haha

I was able to pick up EMT today, I got the lower frame bends done. I should have the lower portion finished tomorrow evening after work.

if you need an emt bender i have both 1/2 & 3/4.

Bummer, is it new at least?

I'll shoot you a text Thursday or Friday. Is your driveway flat and level? I don't know if my jack is tall enough for your jeep so we may have to use unsafe methods to get the transmission out, level ground would make it safer haha

I was able to pick up EMT today, I got the lower frame bends done. I should have the lower portion finished tomorrow evening after work.

Ya we can do it at my work inside the shop. And no I bought it used :/ oh well
I'm moving the end of the month so maybe the weekend after would be better actually. If that's cool?
I'll show you a cool little playground spot we can mess around at by my work too. Been there since my dad was a kid and it's kinda a little local secret

784s and some coffee? I wanna hook you up man since sounds like you wanna do it over here

That sounds great! Hell I just want to do it on something that's not my driveway, which is this crumbly black asphalt crap. Main thing actually is everything gets all hot and a pain to work with if you drive for a bunch beforehand.

Whenever you'd like, just give me about a week in advance to clear things up with work. I really only have Saturday's off, but occasionally Sundays as well.

Tim thanks for the offer, I grabbed one already. If I finish in time I can return it and get my money back haha

Got a bit of work done on the rack, cut the ends to fit, got the EMT to fit in, though it's not as tight as I'd like it to be. Then I cut some crossbars, and drilled some holes for them. I'm bummed about how far off center the holes turned out, but I was using a hand drill and an 82° countersink bit so I can't really complain at how accurate they were. Figure I've got about 3-4 hours max till it's finished, I'll have it done and painted by the end of next week.

20140426_1726131_zps93303f84.jpg

Not in this picture, I took the cross-rails off of the jeep. The rack fits quite well on top of the main rails that run along the top of the jeep, though I only have the half rails on mine. I plan to drill through the rails on top of the jeep, and use u-bolts to secure the rack to the top. Id like to get some sort of rubber bumper thing to close the distance in the front where there are no rails, but I couldn't find anything at OSH, and haven't checked anywhere else.

NOTE: I haven't done anything to accommodate lights yet, I've been thinking of a clamp of sorts for each individual light, but that's pretty much all I've come up with.

Moparmansfield, since you're first in line, Would you like this one? I'll get some better pictures if you'd like. If so, I have 3 color options for you to choose from!

20140430_1945091_zps7adfc0a5.jpg

I can also leave it unpainted and shave of the price accordingly. Note these are mostly galvanized aside from the grid, which ill touch up with some nail polish regardless of the rack color. I'll pm you the price, and I can bring it down to Hollister at some point before the Reno run.

I'll probably end up doing the middle one, which is Rustoleum semi gloss, if you aren't interested in this rack.

I wont have another rack done till at least the end of June, School is picking up.

Thanks, I'll try to have it painted and installed tonight but I dunno. I've got a bunch of stuff to do and I'm not quite sure I like how well it all goes together.

Gonna work on my rack today, get it all painted and let it cure for at least a day because rustoleum is finniky when it comes to multiple coats. Ive got tow hooks im going to install, so pics of those as well later.

Main reason for posting is this:
I'll be doing a trip to Dinkey Creek, which is near Shaver Lake, in late July. I absolutely love this place, tons of trails and small lakes to fish. Things aren't set in stone yet, but I'll be going for at least a week. I know some guys were wanting to do swamp lake which is also in that area, but I know nothing about the trail. If anyone is interested let me know so I can set things up. I know without a doubt I'll be staying here I'll post some pics when I get home so you guys can see the scenery.

20140514_180831_zpsymopctb2.jpg

I need a 9/16 drill bit to finish up the mounts, there's a half inch carriage bolt that goes into it, the shoulder part of the bolt is too wide.

i have 9/16" bits if you want to drill them at my shop.

Thanks for the offer!

I spent about 20 minutes with a good file and some choice drill bits to open the hole up. This was all for a carriage bolt btw, I don't know if I mentioned that. Made the hole squareish to lock it in. I got the hooks installed today, I also picked up a l.p. Dana 30. Thing's beat to shit, passenger uca is completely ripped off, the lca on the passenger side is sideways like 20°, the drivers coil bracket is bent to hell, so is the track bar bracket. At least the u-joints and ball joints are good and it has new fluid in it haha. I'm going to get an Artec truss for it since I need to replace the uca bracket anyway. Maybe I can get a new trackbar bracket welded up high for otk or wj knuckles while I'm at it. Then slap some 4.10's and a selectable locker in it (I was thinking an electric ox would be good). Match it with a trussed 8.8 with discs and call it good! Seems a little excessive for 31's, but it will keep me busy during the summer and it should last me for years without worry.

The cover isn't dented, it just has some oil or something on it playing tricks with yer eyes

IMG_20140518_142744_zpsebndrbna.jpg

Picked up an aw4 with a 231 and a front driveshaft yesterday for 100 bucks. I went wheeling in july, need to post videos and pictures, but my friend has most of them and im real lazy since school starts next month.

Nice score. What year were they out of and miles?

Dunno the miles, but the jeep it came out of was very well taken care of. It was a 2000 that was in a wreck, i'm going to guess 120-160k. I'll have it in tomorrow. I'm going to see about swapping the output housings on the transmission, i have the holes to clock the tcase. maybe I'll just re rent the jig from jake.

Been a while since I've updated. Not much has happened since, I've been spending a lot of time on how I want my DD to end up. I'll probably be shooting for a 2" and 30ish inch tires with some steelies once I finish my 4x4 conversion, which I have not worked on since I stole a knuckle off of it for my rig. I'll be getting some new ball joints courtesy of my father out of the deal so thats nice. What I'm trying to say is: I'm going to possibly have some suspension components available in the near future for a 4.5" ish lift, I'll have to go through and see what i'll want to use on my rig vs what I don't need.
About that lp dana 30 for my dd:
I'm basically just going to fix the mounts and run it, no truss, gearing or lockers. I'll put that money into other stuff. I've been thinking of the best way to go about fixing the mounts, and the best thing I've found has been Ballistic Fab's TJ-XJ Combo Bracket Upgrade Kit (but they've been out of stock). I've spent the past week trying to (periodically) get a hold of them: calls, Emails, facebook, all during their "business hours". Only received one message from them asking for my phone number so they could talk to me about it. I tried them the next day and got the same treatment; so I'll be taking my business elsewhere.

Oh look, the same product right here in stock. That's how you lose customers Ballistic Fab.

Any way, here is a link to my picture (and video) album from my Dinkey Creek trip in July. I have more videos but they exceed photobucket's upload size so I'm loading them into youtube and ill post the links when they're available. It was a blast, and for my buddies who had never been wheeling before it was an awesome camping trip. The landscape was beautiful, but after a few days we realized just how many people were out there and it really made it seem less secluded.

Pics

I've ordered some headlight parts, harness and housings, that should be here next week so I can post some progress pics. After that I have a small list of stuff to do to the rig before the toy run at Hollister.

Back