• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Best steering setup on the market???

Thanks for all the support for JCR in this thread.

I think the strongest steering possible for a rig that gets driven a lot on the street is running the WJ or Terraflex knuckles with the TRE's or Heims of your choice and some DOM tube.

People ask me a lot what is the best setup IMHO, and I always say WJ knuckles and brakes, steering from us with Chevy TRE's.

For some, the parts availability, cost, or fabrication for the WJ setup is prohibitive. The Terra knuckle makes sense, but you don't get the braking benefit.

As far as our products go, I think the OTK (over the knuckle) kit is a good compromise. You get a flatter drag link, and that means a more positive steering feel (and less tie rod roll) plus you get the steering out of the rocks. The downside is obviously the fabrication necessary.

The UTK (under the knuckle) kit is easy to install, adds some serious beef, but has the issue that all inverted T systems do: the drag link tries to roll the tie rod before it turns the wheels. This issue is increased on the XJ because the steering box is comparatively higher than on the SWB Jeeps. We include the poly spacer for this issue, based on what Jeep had done years ago for the same issue on the FSJ's. I don't know if I would call it a band-aid, but it's the compromise for the steering setup. Some people have issue with on road feel of this setup, some do not.

What's the answer for you? I don't know. You will have to figure out what your willing to spend, how much work your willing to do (or pay to have done), and finally how do you use your Jeep?

Strength wise I'll put our UTK kit against anything. For a little more time or money, there are better options (OTK, WJ setup) if you don't get to the trail as much as you like. If anyone has any questions, feel free and call me. I'm also pretty versed in the WJ knuckle swap as well. One thing I won't do is try to sell our steering if it's not right for you. We would rather lose a sale than deal with a disappointed or angry customer.

As for me, I run the WJ setup with custom steering on my wifes XJ. It is her DD, and most of the wheeling it sees is on access roads with our camping gear. So I get by with smaller factory taper TRE's and 1.125 tube. I am super picky about my steering, and do not have any handling problems with this setup.
wjcaliper.gif

shock.gif

passangerknuckle.gif

driverknuckle.gif

tracbar.gif

steeringtracbar.gif

draglinkclear.gif

frontdone.gif

sidedone.gif

Sorry for the long post ;)

Last edited:
I did something similar with over the knuckle WJ. Lots of fab required. :)

steering.jpg

I am running Wj knuckles, heims with 1.5 OD tube with 1/4 inch wall... best set up i have EVER had - soon going to hydro assitst - i still have 1 steering stabilizer and have run JCR OTK, Currie, rugged ridge... JCR worked ok but still had some death wobble issues ... now with WJ running the heims on top all my angles check out ... best set up by far but for sure costs the most

Hey Cal, which TREs are you running on your setup?

WJ tre's at the tie rod and 1 ton chevy high misalignment DLE's at the draglink.

Anybody got a good link on a WJ conversion write-up?

I used to. I'll try and find it tomorrow and post it back up here.

I read about 40 of them, and none of them prepared me for the project. 10 minutes on the phone, and I could have you prepared for the project. :)

I am running Wj knuckles, heims with 1.5 OD tube with 1/4 inch wall... best set up i have EVER had - soon going to hydro assitst - i still have 1 steering stabilizer and have run JCR OTK, Currie, rugged ridge... JCR worked ok but still had some death wobble issues ... now with WJ running the heims on top all my angles check out ... best set up by far but for sure costs the most

that is massively bad ass. of course, if i had the money and i was able to park it for a few days while i worked on it, id be running the same set up. nice man thats some seriously rugged steering.

-Sean

I also use the JCR inverted T. It has worked well for me except for the poly bushing. had to sandwich the bushing with steel washers and now no more dead spot/TR roll or worn out bushings.

Thanks Daryl!

Since I wrote that article for my YJ a while ago, everything isn't in there... I just did this swap a few months ago on the wife's XJ and I need to update it.

You will need to move (or remove) the stock sway bar mounts on the axle, or have the drag link bent to clear.

I had to run 1" wheel spacers to clear her OEM aluminum wheels, I also had to grind the caliper some.

If you want to flip the tie rod (and/or the draglink) to the top you will need to either get inserts to keep the stock taper or drill and ream for the larger Chevy TRE's.

Her Jeep doesn't have much bump steer with the drag link under the upper arm on the knuckle, but if I put it on top I would need to move the track bar as well.

Her Jeep has a YJ steering box, and a modded pump installed. Soley because I had them laying around and the Jeep needed both. Steering was effortless to the point of be annoying with 31's. I have since added a steering stabilizer to dampen the overall feeling of the steering.

Last edited:
Since I wrote that article for my YJ a while ago, everything isn't in there... I just did this swap a few months ago on the wife's XJ and I need to update it.

You will need to move (or remove) the stock sway bar mounts on the axle, or have the drag link bent to clear.

I had to run 1" wheel spacers to clear her OEM aluminum wheels, I also had to grind the caliper some.

If you want to flip the tie rod (and/or the draglink) to the top you will need to either get inserts to keep the stock taper or drill and ream for the larger Chevy TRE's.

Her Jeep doesn't have much bump steer with the drag link under the upper arm on the knuckle, but if I put it on top I would need to move the track bar as well.

Her Jeep has a YJ steering box, and a modded pump installed. Soley because I had them laying around and the Jeep needed both. Steering was effortless to the point of be annoying with 31's. I have since added a steering stabilizer to dampen the overall feeling of the steering.

Cool, I think it'd be a good upgrade. I'm going to keep my eye open for WJ stuff. Long term, I want to do this. I'll definetly go OTK with it.

Back