• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

aw4 trans problem!

The TPS voltage input reads .8 volts at closed throttle and 1.9 volts at wide open throttle.
BadBowtie, that's a very low TPS voltage on the wide open throttle end. It should be about 4.8v at WOT. Since the TCU uses TPS inputs when shifting, you might want to double check the TPS readings.

I dropped the pan to have a look at the solenoids. One solenoid had a yellow wire, one had a white wire, and there was a solenoid with a black wire. The yellow wire solenoid had about 14 ohms resistance. The other two wouldnt even read until i switched the meter over to what i believe is called mega ohms. So i think that there is hardly any resistance there. I checked each of the solenoids with battery voltage. The yellow wired solenoid made a very slight clicking noise when i applied power to it. The other two made absolutly no noise. Im assuming that this means the solenoids are bad???? What else could i check for while the pan is off?

badbowtie87 said:
I dropped the pan to have a look at the solenoids. One solenoid had a yellow wire, one had a white wire, and there was a solenoid with a black wire. The yellow wire solenoid had about 14 ohms resistance. The other two wouldnt even read until i switched the meter over to what i believe is called mega ohms. So i think that there is hardly any resistance there. I checked each of the solenoids with battery voltage. The yellow wired solenoid made a very slight clicking noise when i applied power to it. The other two made absolutly no noise. Im assuming that this means the solenoids are bad???? What else could i check for while the pan is off?

Very high resistance sounds like bad solenoids. The 14 ohms sounds about right (11-15 is normal). If your meter does amperage, measure the current when you apply battery voltage. I don't have the FSM in front of me, but I believe it said 1 to 1.2 amps was normal.

Hey guys just wanted to say thanks for helping me through this tranny problem and also let you know that it was the shift solenoids. Two of them were bad but i went ahead and replaced all three of them. Shifts like a brand new trans now. As soon as i get my new tires and wheels i will post some pictures of the RE 5.5" lift I just put in. Looks gay with the 235's and all that lift. lol

Hey guys got a question for the experts.

I have a 95 XJ 4.0L AW4 8" RK LA, 35's, 4.56's, detroits and about 200K on it. After a trail ride last week its was about 70* outside, ran about 3.5hrs straight, when we were done with the trail getting ready to hit the road, took it out of 4LO, backed up a few feet, went into Drive and it felt like something was in front of me, but there wasn't. So i put it down in drive 1-2 just fine, got up to about 15mph, shifted into drive it was ok. Let it sit for about 2hrs (figured it was a heating issue) went out, it was just fine. I though that was it.

Well took it out to the car wash yesterday, about 70* outside again, its exactly 1.3miles from home, ran up there no problem shifted fine, let it run for the 3.5mins that the carwash was running, got in, didn't want to move in drive, no slipping feeling, just like it wasn't in 1st, shifted to drive 1-2, had power as it should, shifted up to drive after about 10-15mph and it was ok. So that eliminated my thoughts of a heating issue.

Pulled the dipstick, trans fluid is clean, no burnt smell, and a hair below the full line for running temp.

BTW GREAT SITE EVERYONE!!!!!!!!!

Also I started a new thread b/c this one hasnt been active since Jan.

Thanks,

Barry

Back