• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

aw4 trans problem!

Yeah ive heard of solenoids going bad but i have heard when that happens you usually just lose 1 gear not all. But im not real sure. I looked at my fueses one more time and everything is fine as far as i can tell so im just gonna try to get a salvage yard TCU. I'll let everyone know if it was the problem or not.

badbowtie87 said:
Yeah ive heard of solenoids going bad but i have heard when that happens you usually just lose 1 gear not all. But im not real sure. I looked at my fueses one more time and everything is fine as far as i can tell so im just gonna try to get a salvage yard TCU. I'll let everyone know if it was the problem or not.
After the TCU don't work then clean the NSS/Range switch.

badbowtie87 said:

Just depends on which solenoid.

OK, I'll clean the nss first. I will do it when i get off work tommorow and let you know by the evening if it fixed it. Any bets????

ok i took the NSS apart. CLeaned it thoroughly with carb cleaner, sanded the terminals lightly and lubed it up with dielectric grease. The backup lights work great now. It did not fix the tranny issue. So ill recap what ive done so far. new TPS, new MAP sensor, NSS switch, checked fuses, checked for power at TCU plug and it has power at 2 terminals. What else could i be missing?

I forgot to ask. Is there a chart that tells what each terminal on the TCU plug should as far as voltage. Maybe if i knew some of these specs i could check the terminals while its running to see if they match up. That might be something to try???

I am having the same problem with my 97'. It shifts great manually. Have you had your trans codes tested with a cpu yet? I'll be watching your post for a resolution.

96 should be obd II I think only on 96 you can turn the key in the following sequence starting from the off position: on, off, on, off, on. The check engine will flash the codes from the computer. Haynes publishes the codes. If you still need them, I have them in my manual. I'll look them up for you. I'm also sure you can do a search on this forum. Just make sure you get the right codes for the right year. There were 2 different set of codes from what I can tell.

I didnt have the codes pulled just for the simple fact it was cheaper to order a used TCU. I already tried eveything that i could think of and it has to be that. Im still waiting to recieve the TCU, it shipped on friday. I will let you know if it fixed the problem.

badbowtie87 said:
I didnt have the codes pulled just for the simple fact it was cheaper to order a used TCU. I already tried eveything that i could think of and it has to be that. Im still waiting to recieve the TCU, it shipped on friday. I will let you know if it fixed the problem.

Just curious how much you paid. I keep thinking I should make a trip to the local pull-n-save yard and start pulling trans and engine computers to resell on eBay. The yard only charges $8 each, and sometimes $3 if the counter person doesn't know what it is. Of course, with the AW4, usually the computer is the last thing to suspect or replace. In your case, if you have voltage to the TCU I would first suspect either a bad solenoid, wiring or the computer.

lawsoncl said:
Just curious how much you paid. I keep thinking I should make a trip to the local pull-n-save yard and start pulling trans and engine computers to resell on eBay. The yard only charges $8 each, and sometimes $3 if the counter person doesn't know what it is. Of course, with the AW4, usually the computer is the last thing to suspect or replace. In your case, if you have voltage to the TCU I would first suspect either a bad solenoid, wiring or the computer.

$10 bucks for TCU (got 3)

$60 for transfercase (got 2)

$75 for AW4 ( one of these)

$10 for DS I got three of everything except the AW4...only wanted one.

I am picking up a D44 in the morning but I am paying premium for it. They are hard to come by at the Pick N Pull bt only $60 for a D44

O.k guys don't any of you own a scanner? Not to sound rude but I keep reading topic of problems that can be fixed with a scanner. Some 95's are OBD II and everything from 96 is. If you look at the prices the low cost ones are the same price as the parts your throwing at the problems. Most shops charge $80.00 to pull the codes. Mac Tools sells one under $200.00 and most auto parts houses sell some for under $100.00. Think of it like this " It will pay for it self just after one or two repairs". O.K I did pay more for mine but it will do all my vehicles (92 Ranger, 88 Cherokee Chief and 97 Land Rover Disc.). Trust me it's paid for it's sell 10x. Benefits would be 1)you see what the computer sees 2) Able to check the sensor on the vehicle 3) pull codes (Engine, ABS and TRANS 4) not buying part that are not needed 5) piece of mind that the problem is solve and your not crossing your fingers and 6) your wife mon't be upset with you wasting money on your jeep...

Well, I pulled a code 66 (the TCU is sending no message to the ECM) by doing the magical key turn deal. So, just waitin' to see if the new/used TCU fixes your problem.

Well, langer said that replacing my TCU wouldnt fix my problem. I have to admit i doubted him but he was right! The friggin thing didnt change a anything. I tried the used TCU in a buddies XJ and worked fine. I should have tried my old one on his XJ but i guess i was too much of a moron to think of that until today and it worked fine also. I thought of one last thing to try that i didnt before and that was to check the ground terminal on the TCU plug for continuity. It does have a good ground. Anyone want to buy a jeep? LOL

i just did a check at the TCU terminals. Everything seems to check out to spec except the #2 shift solenoid. It says it should be within 11-15 ohms and it is measuring about 24 ohms. Think its possible that this could be causing my entire problem? I didnt check the solenoid ground at the dipstick. I will have to do that tommorow its gettin late here.

badbowtie87 said:
i just did a check at the TCU terminals. Everything seems to check out to spec except the #2 shift solenoid. It says it should be within 11-15 ohms and it is measuring about 24 ohms. Think its possible that this could be causing my entire problem? I didnt check the solenoid ground at the dipstick. I will have to do that tommorow its gettin late here.
I doubt it.

badbowtie87 said:

Certainly could cause the shifting problem. The #2 solenoid is engaged for 2nd and 3rd gear, so I would think you'd only have 1st and 4th. I would pull the pan and measure the solenoid directly and make sure it's not a wiring problem. Doesn't explain the code 66 about the Engine Computer not getting messages from the TCU.

Last edited:
Back