• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Again.....what is a "REAL XJ"?

I'm in an apartment, so no garage. But these don't have rubber around them yet either. And it's a set of four crawlers for now.:anon:

Re: Re: Re: Again.....what is a "REAL XJ"?

Jes said:
Re: Again.....what is a "REAL XJ"?

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by Goatman
Another REAL XJ runs Axle Alley and Sledgehammer with 32" tires, no body damage, and doesn’t break. A seriously modified REAL XJ is driven to Johnson Valley, runs a bunch of Hammer Trails with no breakdowns, then is driven back home and to work on Monday morning, and does this often.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So, are you saying he's lying, that that didn't(hasn't) happen(d)?

Jes

no Im not saying his lying,
im saying running sledgehammer with 32s and getting out without a scratch is very slim:rolleyes:
you have seen how much sheetmetal the XJ has right?

Re: Re: Re: Re: Again.....what is a "REAL XJ"?

KarmirXJ said:
im saying running sledgehammer with 32s and getting out without a scratch is very slim:rolleyes:
It's not that slim at all. I ran Sledge on 33's more times than I can count & never got a scratch.
Paul

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Again.....what is a "REAL XJ"?

Paul S said:
It's not that slim at all. I ran Sledge on 33's more times than I can count & never got a scratch.
Paul

But you're a wheeling GOD! :D

What did you scratch/dent this weekend? Oh Goatman can answer this also. (I only scratched a small section on the lock. So...)?????

hinkley

Oh but we don't have REAL XJs! :D

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Again.....what is a "REAL XJ"?

Mark Hinkley said:

What did you scratch/dent this weekend? Oh Goatman can answer this also. (I only scratched a small section on the lock. So...)?????

hinkley

Scratch, dent, what??? The Ameba is sitting in my garage ready for JV next week without a scratch or dent on it:D
That was a pretty cool run to get 3 XJ/non XJ's through.
Paul

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Again.....what is a "REAL XJ"?

Paul S said:
Scratch, dent, what??? The Ameba is sitting in my garage ready for JV next week without a scratch or dent on it:D
That was a pretty cool run to get 3 XJ/non XJ's through.
Paul

According to ??????? there was only one XJ on that run. :D

hinkley

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Again.....what is a "REAL XJ"?

Mark Hinkley said:
According to ??????? there was only one XJ on that run. :D

hinkley

I must not have read the "Real XJ" requirements close enough, does the open back exclued the Ameba? I still have A/C & heat.
BTW Mark, I'm in negotiations with Leilani for a tubing bender, sure you don't want to sell me yours:)
Paul

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Again.....what is a "REAL XJ"?

Paul S said:
I must not have read the "Real XJ" requirements close enough, does the open back exclued the Ameba? I still have A/C & heat.
BTW Mark, I'm in negotiations with Leilani for a tubing bender, sure you don't want to sell me yours:)
Paul

Yes, IT MUST BE CLOSED!

:rolleyes:

Just make sure you don't do like that B dude. :D

hinkley

Re: Re: Re: Re: Again.....what is a "REAL XJ"?

KarmirXJ said:

Karmir, when I first built my XJ it had 32's and I ran Sledge without body damage. The rig I was refering to in the post you quoted is GRNT (Mil), and I was with him when he ran both Axle Alley and Sledge with 32's and no body damage. One of the cool things about the Johnson Valley trails is that they can be run with no body damage......you have to really drive your position constantly, which makes it more challenging and fun, and you can get unlucky at any time. On one all XJ run on Sledge a couple of years ago, there was a lot of sheet metal damage, but it doesn't have to be that way.

Regarding your previous comment about the examples I used about running JV with no breakage and then driving to work on Monday, that's me and any number of other guys over the years that we've been running there. One of the points of my post is that a rig can be built to perform AND be reliable. We want to wheel, not sit out there on the trail fixing stuff. I've been running JV trails for 8 years, and the extent of my breakage in that time is one front axle joint. Paul Sinclair runs JV as much as anyone I know and I don't remember him ever breaking anything on the trail. That's a combination of vehicle preparation and driving skills.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Again.....what is a "REAL XJ"?

Mark Hinkley said:

hinkley

I never saw what Paul hit, but I got a small spot on the rear, mostly just scraped the paint. I sure like having that cage back there. :D

Paul is borderline on having a REAL XJ, he sort of closed off the back and he still drives it everywhere, including to CO this year, but you are definitely over the line! :D

Karmir, when I first built my XJ it had 32's and I ran Sledge without body damage. The rig I was refering to in the post you quoted is GRNT (Mil), and I was with him when he ran both Axle Alley and Sledge with 32's and no body damage.

The secret is to not let the G'man spot for ya!:D
picture.JPG

actually he had me on the right line and stuff shifted under me but see, even the g'man helps push you off the rocks

- Has your Jeep been off the pavement in the last 30 days? How about 60?
- Have you put your Jeep into 4 wheel drive in the last 30/60 days? (part 2 do you have to look in the owner manual to put your Jeep into 4 wheel drive)
- Do you check out other XJ’s when you see them?
- Do you spend lost of time trying to plotting/saving for/building your XJ so its even more ‘yours’

1: Every damn weekend it's my only relaxation from working on the line.
2: Of course, can't make fun of the TJs without 4lo
3: All the time, sometimes it makes me feel like I am cheating on my xj I swear she knows when I look at other xjs and am thinking "oh baby that is a big axle mmm...hot"
4: praise jebus one day I will have 2 lockrites new tires and an inch and a half more lift...And a beefier crossmember/ tranny/T-case skidplate, and lower gears and a stroker conversion kit and a tube bender and some...tube?

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Again.....what is a "REAL XJ"?

Goatman said:
but you are definitely over the line! :D

Well we already know that.

Your just upset that I drove most the trail with my lights off and didn't worry about hitting ANY rocks. :D

hinkley

Beezil said:
Paul, I wanna see pics of "ameoba" or whatever its called.

with a name like that, it must be groovey.

Don't think I've ever been called groovey, but I think I like it.
I can thank Hinkley for dubing my ride the Ameba.
Paul
hope this works
standard.jpg" border=0>

Back