• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Again.....what is a "REAL XJ"?

I think there is a point where an XJ is morphed beyond recognition as a "real" XJ, and that the purpose of the thread was to try to define that point ... hmmm ... too many variables. There's a big grey area between a moderately modified grocery-getter and a trailer-queen rock crawler. I don't think we can list a bunch of parts and state that if you keep these originals then you still have a real XJ. Nor can we say that if you keep the body outline true then you have a real XJ. I think this is one of those questions that have no "real" answer :)

edited for spelling typos

Last edited:
I would hope you'd never catch that attitude amoung naxja people

Actually NAXJA is a very CLIKish group and can be very hard for new guys to be accepted.

My first time in MOAB I was talking to a group, mentioned something and they turned away, Not until I helped out MIL and his broken axle did anyone really come up to talk, except for the few from AZ that I had already met.

And the holier than thou lives and breaths at NAXJA as with all groups

What's a "Real XJ"?

If you've seen the abuse those stock XJ's took on Proving Grounds - you've seen a "Real XJ"! ;)

But seriously, I'm kinda on the fence on this one.

In the spirit of NAXJA, every single Cherokee owned by those that are visitors and members here is a Real XJ - because we're all here focusing our attention and efforts on our beloved vehicles.

In the spirit of four wheeling, this is where it all gets convoluted. All of us here have chosen the XJ as the core of "what gets us there". The rest of the ideas and opinions regarding what's bolted or welded to the XJ really comes from where the owner wants to take his/her XJ. "Purpose built" is the phrase that's been used here fairly frequently.

So, in order to define a "Real XJ", I tend to lean toward the rigs that fit into the "completely stock to modified with stock components" description. To me, a "Real XJ" is one that still resembles and functions as it did when originally designed. Slight modifications like lifts that use the factory mounting points, suspension design (keeping the front coil and rear leaf systems) and the factory drivetrain fall into this category.

When an XJ owner cuts it all up, installs D60's, Chevy small blocks, Atlas II's, exo-cages and the like, are simply outgrowing what their XJ was intended to do and making it "Purpose built".

If an owner takes his 5" lifted, 32" clad, D30/D35 axle'd, single locker'd rig over the Hammers, especially with out breakage, then there's no doubt in my mind that this accomplishment is ALL DRIVER - and has very little to do with the XJ and how it's built.

My rig? I hate to admit it, but it's really not to be considered a "Real XJ". I don't rely on it for daily transportation, the body is all cut up, it's far from "utilitarian", and I've changed a few factory configurations here and there. The majority of the modifications are "Purpose built" and so I come from the opinion that I'm a "Real 'Wheeler" who has chosen the XJ as the core of "what gets me there".

Those that rely on their XJ's for daily transportation and adhere to their local laws regarding modifications, lift heights, tire sizes to keep them street legal, have "Real XJ's" in my opinion.

That's my .02
Troy

Oh, and I LOVE Trailer Queens! Those that hate them just won't admit that they are simply jealous of those of us with a tow rig and trailer! :moon: :D

Last edited:
Crunch said:
I fully agree with woody as well, but I don't remember him saying anyone was a p!le of shit.

I do however think it is funny that the first three letters in poser are P.O.S.

Damn, I did it again.:(

Crunch

the pile of sh!t came from me and my spinoff of woody. if only we could come up with a catchy dergoatory phrase that could be turned into the acronym POSER.

Hunter

Actually is a very CLIKish group and can be very hard for new guys to be accepted

if this is how you feel, this would be a good discussion on the members board.

Moab was HUGE! I have never seen a bigger group of jeepers that i KNOW in all my life.

it was very difficult to socialize. There were TONS of people i wanted to have a beer with that I barely even SAW, let alone get to talk to, or sit down at thier camp and throw back some bubbas. We've been doing this for some time now, and a large percentage of people are good friends with each other, and you know there will be a bunch of inside things that go along with that....

if you are a new guy, you can just sit there and wait for the group to approach YOU. This is not a clique. Cliques are exclusive. Cliques aren't interested in seeking new members. naxja's GROUP is the opposite. We are fun-loving, and friendly. *YOU* have to involve yourself in the group, the group is not going to find YOU. If I ever find you standing in our campfire circle, the first beer is on me.

wanna bring this to members?

If I ever find you standing in our campfire circle, the first beer is on me.

That sort of exemplifies my experiences with this group. I joined with a bit of trepidation, knowing that I'm in the minority, politically speaking, but NAXJA folks, on the whole, embrace their own diversity well. Here's to us! :cheers:

Elitist? Hell, yeah, we're elitist by definition -- we're Jeep drivers, and members of an owner's club. But from what I've seen, our predjudices don't extend beyond there and we take a bit of pride in that fact.

When Jeep introduced the XJ I don't think there was even a recognized motorsports area known as rock crawling (if there was it was obscure). To say an XJ is real only if it can tackle the harshest trials is barking up the wrong tree and not keeping with the original design intent. Along the same lines, how then would you catagorize a bone stock 4cyl 2wd XJ or MJ......is it real?

A champion rock-crawler can be an XJ but a REAL XJ cannot be a champion rock crawler....is what I conclude.

Personally a real XJ to me is one that is and or can be used as a daily driver...and that means the whole family not just you in a polypropylene race car bucket. In all weather conditions, searing hot, freezing cold, torrentially raining, and wonderfully dry. A real XJ in my eyes is easily recognizable as such to even the casual observer. It keeps your crap clean and dry inside and is a Jeep that you feel just as comfortable taking to a remote campsite as you are cruising down 5th Ave on the way to a fine venue wearing your best. A real XJ is revered and not called or treated like junk, and certainly not looked at as some POS that you enjoy seeing how much sheetmetal you can rip off it on every outing.

Your opinions may vary

XJguy

Last edited:
I think Troy summed up my feelings pretty well:

Originally posted by Yellaheep
Those that rely on their XJ's for daily transportation and adhere to their local laws regarding modifications, lift heights, tire sizes to keep them street legal, have "Real XJ's" in my opinion.

The part about adhering to local lift laws is an interesting point. After all, the XJ was introduced as a multi-purpose street-legal passenger vehicle. As soon as modifications make it illegal, that virtually defines it out of being a "Real" XJ.

:D :D :D

This is good.....are we having fun?

How many of you remember the "Real Men" joke books from awhile back (maybe too far back...showing my age)? That's what this REAL XJ thing came from. This is a tongue in cheek way to talk about what it is to keep an XJ true to it's original purpose. This has nothing to do with how much or how little a rig is modified, but it has everything to do with how it is modified. It has nothing to do with how much lift or what size tires, but it has everything to do with the balance that is maintained in the buildup between capability, function, and reliability. Like I already said, it has nothing to do with a good or bad rig, or what each want their own rig to do for them, or how much fun anyone has with their own rig, but it has everything to do with the concept of continuing to do "everything well" no matter what degree of build up is undertaken.

What I'm doing is coining the term REAL XJ (tongue in cheek, remember) to represent an XJ that has stayed true to it's do everything well, multi-purpose function. That can mean a totally stock XJ, or a highly modified XJ that still can be driven to the trail with the A/C on and with the family inside. I'm not saying that a purpose built trail rig isn't real, or good, or doesn't work, just that it doesn't fall under the description of a "REAL XJ". I understand that everyone doesn't even want a REAL XJ. This has nothing to do with each person making their rig whatever they want it to be, this isn't talking about the owner or driver, this is talking specifically about the rig.

This also has nothing to do with breaking or not breaking. The examples I used are real rigs and really happened, and are there as examples that a rig can be built to both perform well and be reliable, which is what having a REAL XJ is all about.

BTW, C-Rok's rig is definitely a REAL XJ. The intent was to build a rig that will do it all, run hard trails, drive on the street, and carry the family.......bingo! A REAL XJ! :D

I just read the whole thread and I still don't see the point of it. Why is this even in the Tech forum? I think that if it does what you want it to do then thats all that matters.
:anon:

Whats the point of this thread?
according to Dictionary.com
"real" means:
re·al1
adj.

A. Being or occurring in fact or actuality; having verifiable existence: real objects; a real illness.
B. True and actual; not imaginary, alleged, or ideal: real people, not ghosts; a film based on real life.
C. Of or founded on practical matters and concerns: a recent graduate experiencing the real world for the first time.
2. Genuine and authentic; not artificial or spurious: real mink; real humility.
3. Being no less than what is stated; worthy of the name: a real friend.
4. Free of pretense, falsehood, or affectation: tourists hoping for a real experience on the guided tour.
5. Not to be taken lightly; serious: in real trouble.
6. Philosophy. Existing objectively in the world regardless of subjectivity or conventions of thought or language.
7. Relating to, being, or having value reckoned by actual purchasing power: real income; real growth.
8. Physics. Of, relating to, or being an image formed by light rays that converge in space.
9. Mathematics. Of, relating to, or being a real number.
10. Law. Of or relating to stationary or fixed property, such as buildings or land.

adv. Informal
Very: I'm real sorry about that.

n.
A thing or whole having actual existence. Often used with the: theories beyond the realm of the real.
Mathematics. A real number.

how technical do ya people wanna get.
this thread is just people going against what each other is saying defending themselves for no "real" reason.

thats just my opinion.. HAHA.. have fun with this!:angel: :anon:

If I ever find you standing in our campfire circle, the first beer is on me.

Thanks, the second is on me!

Im cool with things now, jsut thougt Id mention it.

Now as for the MJ's where do we stand?

and as for Trailer Queens it kinda takes some of the fun out of what we do!, To me if it aint safe or easy to drive on the highway, I mean hey if you cant drive it to the event its so modified, you can't get groceries with it, what use is it, you have kinda defeated the purpose of the XJ

this is a real cherokee http://digilander.libero.it/xjconnection/cherokee_pioneer_turtle_1989us_image03.jpg
cherokee_pioneer_turtle_1989us_image03.jpg
This is dan starc's cherokee he is a friend of a friend. He drives it all over the country to rock crawling competitions.

more pictures

What makes a REAL XJ?

The person behind the wheel!

REAL XJs are used by the owner for REAL things.
They are driven to work
They are driven on the trail
They are moded big time
They are stock
They are tubed inside
They are tubed outside
They are tubed inreplace of...
They are trailer queens
They are driven to and from the trail

But

These people all have XJs, which are wheeled, are like no other owners of a vehicle. Wheeling is the major part of helping these people make their XJs REAL. They have a desire to help and prolong the use and life of the XJ in the wheeling world. They help others out as needed and are there first to lend that helping hand. The live, eat and breathe XJs 24/7. XJ people make the XJ special and it's how that owner uses and relates to others is what makes all their XJs, REAL XJs.

People/XJs/Wheeling= REAL XJs

mark

Ok, a little corny but all the years out on the trail I've never dealt with a better group of vehicle drivers/owners than XJ drivers.

Last edited:
A real XJ is just that---AN XJ! It's what it was when it left the factory,it's what it says on the title **"Jeep Cherokee"** What you do with it/to it after you get your grubby little hands on it will never-not ever,change the fact that that's what it left the factory as. Now,if you started out with an XJ and now there's nothing left of said XJ,then you can call it something else. But for now,my welded 8.25" 27 spline rear and Lock Righted front,4.5" lifted,33" Swampered,beat to sh!t,custom bumpered,cut fendered,TJ flared,skid plated-to-smithereens,quarter panel CB antenna mounted Xj is STILL an XJ. Period. :D :D :D :D

At least it is to me,and nobody else counts :moon: :D

Re: Re: Again.....what is a "REAL XJ"?

Re: Again.....what is a "REAL XJ"?

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by Goatman
Another REAL XJ runs Axle Alley and Sledgehammer with 32" tires, no body damage, and doesn’t break. A seriously modified REAL XJ is driven to Johnson Valley, runs a bunch of Hammer Trails with no breakdowns, then is driven back home and to work on Monday morning, and does this often.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

KarmirXJ said:
Can I have some of what his smoking???:smoker:

So, are you saying he's lying, that that didn't(hasn't) happen(d)?

Jes

If leaving the factory as an XJ is enough of a perdigree to justify it as being perpetually an XJ then what if you bought your XJ in 84 and through the years have modified it a little at a time...enter 2003 and the only thing in the vehicle left that is from the original purchase due to the cumulated mods is the VIN tag and the steering column...is it an XJ? To the owner who has been modding it up a little at a time it still feels like an XJ and he has a title that proves it.....kinda like a mother and her child, her progeny will always be her child before and after the sex change. Sure the child is now very different and started out as one thing and is now something totally different, but to her its still her baby.

XJguy

Back