• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Again.....what is a "REAL XJ"?

DARKFLY said:
why would any one want to get rid of there I-6 or there I-4? they are more capable of producing more torque than a v-8/v-6 would. after having a 4 banger in the 4runner and a 6 banger in the xj i would not have it any other way ( well mybe a supra I-6 in the 4runner?).:D

Oh my goodness :rolleyes:

So if the XJ came with a GM (As in GENERAL MOTORS!!!) 60 degree, 2.8L V6, then it was never a real XJ to begin with???
Or would it then be Ok to swap something else in.......

So long as it's not one of those low HP and low torque, wimpy V8s that just can't compare to the 2.5L I4 and 4.0L I6?

I'm pretty happy with the 300HP and 400ft*lbs of torque my TPI 350 brings with it. Didn't know I shouldn't be.

There is one word that defines all things associated with engine power - displacement.
How ever much torque you can get from a smaller engine, with the same parameters, you'll get more from a bigger one.

Why oh why did I enter into this thread:confused:

C-ROK said:

I'm pretty happy with the 300HP and 400ft*lbs of torque my TPI 350 brings with it.

Where's all that come at though. 4-5000? All V-8 I have seen on the trail have to rev the piss out of it to get the power. I barely touch my gas petal and mine lugs me up and over. I suppose yu could set up a V-8 for low torque but I havn't seen one yet. Even more so with the LS1' ect. Where to you think they make all their power? Way up top on the way to 150mph+

I love it when you show up to a run 10 Trailer queens of various types and you the only XJ, and you drove up, They ask" so where's your trail rig?"

Your answer right here and start to air down the 33x9.5's and they giggle, snicker at the end of the day on lost world, you have bypassed nothing, many of them have had issues,

they have bet on you rolling over on certain obstacles, you walk right through

at the end of the day you air up turn on the air and head for home, all the TQ's still scratching their heads.

You gota love it don't cha!

God I hate trailer queens!

Hey one question? if my new MJ still has AC, and boomin stereo, Ive instaled a new column so I can have cruise, Still highly roadable, is it a TRUE XJ?

While alot of the concepts mentioned are ones I agree with for my XJ, I don't think it necessarily constitutes a REAL XJ. I think what makes it real is what makes it REAL for the owners intended purpose. That also makes it the MULTI-purpose vehicle it is. One particular tubed rigs owner has gone the extra steps to put new fenders and grill on his XJ to keeps its XJness. For me it gives that XJ the soul it takes to be a REAL XJ. For most it might not be the IDEAL XL, but its REAL for its owners intended purpose.

Some might argue that the Cheromanche chop would not keep it REAL because in a REAL XJ you can put all your gear inside the vehicle keeping it dry and safe from elements. I like the look but don't think it actually makes it any more utilitarian.

I know another guy who wheeled his for many years with 35s and a D35 rear on many very tough trails in Colorado and Utah. He and his wife would go out to remote areas, sleep on its roof for days and see sights out there that few are lucky enough to witness and that makes their XJ REAL for me and makes them real lucky. Of course this is not nearly an ideal set up for 35" tires and he now runs one ton running gear, but it doesn't negate all he has done with it.

If someone is comfortable running without A/C because they would rather have that space used for a compressor to pump up it's tires, then that is their choice and doesn't make it any less a REAL XJ. In fact its still more REAL an XJ than someone who chopped the rear half in alot of peoples eyes.

It is about perspectives. I think these XJs that are chopped and tubed are sweet. I know that's where this topic stemmed and I hope it doesn't come to a point where the club says they don't have a REAL XJ and need to do so to hang around here. These members are a big part of this whole XJ thing and just because they have outgrown their rigs usefullness in stock form doesn't make them any less "XJers".

Done rambling. Just keep your minds open and witness what people can do with their stuff and don't be threatened by it.

Peace,
Crunch

Hmmm;

The 89 can't be real then...it's got no back 1/4 glass, it's taller than I like em, it leaks oil like the Valdez, and stuff tends to fall off it to the peril of all in the vicinity. It is fun to watch from a safe distance though.

The 88 can't be real... it's got 205-70 car-tread tires and pimp tint on the sunroof. It does have factory skid plates and a working track-lock in the 35 though, LOL and a CD player that works. The driver's door is real though...it's been places on my MJ that most folks will never drive into (or out of)

The 90 can't be real...the heat doesn't work (today's project?) and it has no skid plates at all. Plus it isn't mine, it's Momma's and she'd beat my ass if she even thought I was gonna take it off road. (Nip it in the bud LOL)

The two MJs can't be real XJs (duh) and since they haven't moved an inch since 9-01 they aren't even real MJs anymore...they are yard art/junk/storage (depending who ya ask)

I'd suppose we should look more at real Jeepers as their vehicles often tend to reflect their level of Jeepiness. I'm proud to know MANY real Jeepers...and for the most part, we met on the trail. Real Jeepers are usually lots of fun to be around...they offer to teach and are willing to learn. They share parts, labor, food, beverages, advice and always put forth a "can-do" attitude. They help others get through tough spots & times, and would never leave a trail mate behind. The Jeeper makes the Jeep, not the other way around IMHO.

Eagle said:
But if it's a SBC or a Ford V-8 then it's not an XJ because the engine doesn't come from the same family.

Then it becomes a Cherolazer or a Chronco.

I understand where Richard is coming from, but he's ignoring the family tree aspect. I feel the same way about Chevy V-8s in CJs. They're nice "vehicles" (if done well), but they are not "Jeeps."

It's a question of how far you want to take it and still call it by a name like "Jeep" or "Cherokee." I think we went through this part of the discussion the last time, as well. If you read the 4WD and truck magazines, so of those vehicles have almost nothing original except the VIN plate, but the magazine happily promotes a thing with a reproduction MB body on a Scout frame with a Chevy engine and Ford axles as a "Jeep."

It isn't. It is a home-built vehicle.

To me, and XJ is a Jeep made by AMC/Jeep, Chrysler/Jeep/Eagle, or DaimlerChrysler. There comes a point in modifying it (and I don't claim to know just where thgat point is, but I know some of you have crossed it) that the modifications take over and what's left isn't really a Jeep XJ any longer.

Once again, this is just your perspective. How can you stop at only part of the drivetrain. with your thinking on this, anyone person who swaps out the axles so they can run bigger tires is no longer driving a Jeep. Many people swap Bronco 9" and HP44 in their XJs. Xj now or not?

Remember the saying "Real Jeeps are built not bought"? If you are going to be that hard-nosed about a powerplant, then why not say that its no longer a Jeep because it runs a RE suspension, an Atlas t-case, too low a gear, too big a tire, too big an axle??? How much body mods are acceptable? You can chop the back off, but you can't put tubes in its place.

I just realized how stupid this thread really is and now I've contributed twice. Stupid Jeeper??

Whatever,
Crunch

Goatman said:
It’s one that’s open in front with a limited slip in the rear, 32" tires and climbs out of Mickey’s Hot Tub.

Hey, I drive a REAL XJ! :D

Nice can O' worms you cracked open here G.........hahaha

This is why threads like this always suck. Everyone gets pissy about it. I don't know it's more or less just good fun too me. I'm not going to rag on you can your XJ isn't "real".

C-ROK said:
Oh my goodness :rolleyes:

Why oh why did I enter into this thread:confused:

C-ROK:

Could it be because you dont have a "Real XJ":D :D :D

I see you XJ as real as they come, it has pretty much all the body lines of a Cherokee, wheels with the best of them, and it DRIVES home! Awsome Jeep C-ROK:cheers:

I see my Jeep as a real XJ just because it takes me where I want it to go with in reason and I have FUN doing it!

AARON

I guess I've never been wheelin'.

hey jes, if what oilslinger says is true, the fact that you merely "trailride" in JV and other people have to resort to "wheelin" and fully getting it, i guess you can take that as a compliment.

I disagree with oil'statement however....

if "breakin it" is the definition of "gettin it", then I guess I can fully "get it" on a candy-ass trail, All i gotta do is wheel like an idiot, bounce on the rev limiter at full lock, on my candy-ass stock shafts.....that would be fully retarded, but then in oilburners philosophy, people on the internet would think I was hardcore

God I hate trailer queens!

this is probably due to the fact that the trail buggies you ride with are a bunch of holier-than-thou snobs.

I would hope you'd never catch that attitude amoung naxja people.

another thought, and a quote:

It is about perspectives. I think these XJs that are chopped and tubed are sweet. I know that's where this topic stemmed and I hope it doesn't come to a point where the club says they don't have a REAL XJ and need to do so to hang around here. These members are a big part of this whole XJ thing and just because they have outgrown their rigs usefullness in stock form doesn't make them any less "XJers".

I understand the purpose of goats opening remarks and the discussion. I think you read too much into it. I'm chopped and tubed, and I would argue that my jeep IS DEFINITLY NOT A REAL XJ, I have a lot of respect for folks keeping their rigs dual-purpose. Mine is not. There is little or no REAL comfort. It cannot be driven on the highway. It is not weatherproof. It has virtually no cargo room, it is totally single-purpose.

is that a real jeep?

NOPE, not in my definition.

Last edited:
Welcome back to JU all.

In the words of the infamous bald one "This thread sucks"

Sean

Hunter-Lynchburg said:
woody hit the nail on the head. its the driver that makes it real. a real xj is wheeled. you can throw as many stickers, as much lift, the biggest tires, the newest coolest mods on a truck and not wheel it, basically what you have there is fancy wrapping around a pile of sh!t in the driver seat.

Hunter

I fully agree with woody as well, but I don't remember him saying anyone was a p!le of shit.

I do however think it is funny that the first three letters in poser are P.O.S.

Damn, I did it again.:(

Crunch

Would a convertable XJ12 Jaguar be any less Jag? From what I understand, if I cut the roof off my XJ and added a soft top, much like Rev Den did, then I guess I really wouldn't have a "real" XJ. Gimme a break! Will a factory original roof keep any more dust off of me than a soft top would? I guess it would still be an XJ until I removed the top, say on a nice day or night. Do you mean to tell me that if you were to roll your XJ over and crush the roof beyond logical repair, you'd sell your now x-XJ and buy another with a straight roof. If so, all due respect, I'd say you had more money than sense.

Terry

Goatman said:
Another REAL XJ runs Axle Alley and Sledgehammer with 32" tires, no body damage, and doesn’t break. A seriously modified REAL XJ is driven to Johnson Valley, runs a bunch of Hammer Trails with no breakdowns, then is driven back home and to work on Monday morning, and does this often.

Can I have some of what his smoking???:smoker:

Beezil said:
I would argue that my jeep IS DEFINITLY NOT A REAL XJ, I have a lot of respect for folks keeping their rigs dual-purpose. Mine is not. There is little or no REAL comfort. It cannot be driven on the highway. It is not weatherproof. It has virtually no cargo room, it is totally single-purpose.

is that a real jeep?

NOPE, not in my definition.

Ahh.....careful here. Since when does Jeep = comfort?
I know quite a few CJ owners who would argue this point! :D
Jeep = UTILITY.

BUT..... your definition of Real XJ = dual-purpose would seem to work.

I called my rig a "jeep" since its not an xj. it just isn't...

cj's are irrelavant.

is a stock xj comfortable? sure it is.....

I think people keep tripping over the word "real".

goatman said it isn't "good" or "bad"....

he probably would have used the word "original" but that's too cut and dry for a good debate....

I'm thinking "real" means: sensible, moderate, purposeful, utilitarian, genuine, honest, authentic, natural, whole, realistic, effective.

I think some of you guys are misunderstanding goatsman intent, and trying to spin it into some kind of critiscm or declaration

Back