• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

A Teacher at my college says all military veterans are illiterate, and rapists.

Correction, education should be non-partisan. Teach facts, not opinions or political agendas

I think it is my business, because I'm of the mind education should be bi-partisan. I understand she stated her comments were personal, but she also stated that she's a teacher. She's an educated individual; therefore, it's hard for me to accept her naivety. Constitution or not, certain careers come with limits to one's ability to share their personal thoughts with the public.

"I have the right to tell someone else what they can and can't say."

You can't wave the American flag and violate someone's first admendment rights at the same time.

FWIW, sitting in a classroom for 4 years at a university does not an education make. The wisdom to choose your words carefully has nothing to do with a piece of paper hanging on your wall in a frame.

I'd love to see the legal requirements for educators to not have a political opinion. The very basis of our education system lies within the geographical boundaries of the particular district you reside. Do you think that teachers in Texas have the same opinion about political issues as teachers in New York?

Like I said, the only limitations to her opinions are the ones provided to her by her employer. You're the niave one if you think it works like the USSR.

Correction, education should be non-partisan. Teach facts, not opinions or political agendas
My apologies. That's what I meant. Heck, we're in agreement for once.

Like I said, the only limitations to her opinions are the ones provided to her by her employer. You're the niave one if you think it works like the USSR.
I don't think I am THAT naive, but thanks for your opinion.

I raised my right hand to support and defend the constitution.

That includes everyone's opinion, not just the ones I choose to agree with. I

Then you don't understand the oath you took, or what it entails. Scroll up and read what has been said about the First Amendment that you swore to protect. It doesn't allow everyone to say what they want, when they want or where they want. It guarantees that the government cannot suppress your speech.

My favorite analogy is this: you cannot walk into a movie theater and yell "FIRE" and think that you are protected by the. First Amendment. It doesn't work like that.

Go read the constitution, or pick up a Constitution for Dummies book if need be, then come back and admit you were wrong.

Re: Re: A Teacher at my college says all military veterans are illiterate, and rapist

Feel free to let me know where exactly the first states it protects one's employment in a position of power over a group they despise.

Indeed. "I'm taking disciplinary action against you because you sound like a reprehensible human being, and if I ever hear of comments like that again or any action reflecting those prejudices then you're fired" is also protected speech.

Then you don't understand the oath you took, or what it entails. Scroll up and read what has been said about the First Amendment that you swore to protect. It doesn't allow everyone to say what they want, when they want or where they want. It guarantees that the government cannot suppress your speech.

My favorite analogy is this: you cannot walk into a movie theater and yell "FIRE" and think that you are protected by the. First Amendment. It doesn't work like that.

Go read the constitution, or pick up a Constitution for Dummies book if need be, then come back and admit you were wrong.

I think it's funny that you confuse the laws enacted by congress with the amendments to the constitution.

What exactly about her statement involves public safety? Absolutely nothing.

Certainly you can't say what you want where you want if it violates legal statutes or policies set forth in an employment contract. You should try and understand what I said rather than assume I meant something else. I simply said that someone's opinion was someone's opinion and that a person had a right to say it if they were willing to accept the consequences if that opinion or the act of publicizing that opinion in some way violated the policies of the organization that person belonged to.

I'm not a constitutional scholar. If you are, good on you. I'm on a message board of a silly little jeep club telling you guys that you're making a mountain out of a mole hill. Nobody in the military cares what that lady said and you shouldn't either.

I'm not a constitutional scholar. If you are, good on you. I'm on a message board of a silly little jeep club telling you guys that you're making a mountain out of a mole hill. Nobody in the military cares what that lady said and you shouldn't either.

Deep down inside I know you're right, but it still won't bottle-up the side of me that wants to punish idiots for saying grossly idiotic things. We've become a society that celebrates stupid behaviour at worst, shows apathy towards it at best.

I'm not sure why this is such a hard thing to grasp. I don't want DHS to swoop in and send her off to GITMO. The first is unrelated, I couldn't give a shit less about what people say. I don't care what westboro idiots say, though I may smile a little when fred kicks the bucket.

The problem is an open bigot is in a position that determines the success or failure of the people she hates.
People that are retarded enough to be bigots should not be in those positions. It is fully within the rights of the employer to terminate her employment and within the rights of the consumer to demand it.

Last edited:
Nobody in the military cares what that lady said and you shouldn't either.

So you speak for the entire military now? How'd you get that appointment? More importantly, I know that you are incorrect.

What I find interesting is your general misunderstanding of the oath that you took.

The problem is an open bigot is in a position that determines the success or failure of the people she hates.
People that are retarded enough to be bigots should not be in those positions. It is fully within the rights of the employer to terminate her employment and within the rights of the consumer to demand it.

Al, you hit it on the head.

I think it's funny that you confuse the laws enacted by congress with the amendments to the constitution.

I'm not a constitutional scholar.

Two things, when did I ever mention laws enacted by the government. You stated that the oath you took to protect the constitution, guaranteed her her right of freedom of speech. On that you are incorrect. The constitution doesn't guarantee anyone the right to say anything they want out loud. As previously mention, you cannot walk into a movie theater and scream fire, and think that you are protected by the first amendment.

Second, you don't have to be a constitutional scholar to do a little research and find out the truth. However, I'd bet you spend hours on this little jeep bulletin board learning about your rig. Shame that you don't show the same interest for the laws that govern you.

I did see a headline saying he was sick a while back. Didn't care enough to read and see what it was though.

I think she likely sent some Vet in her class a note that said something like "I know how you can improve your grade, meet me in my office after school" and he answered "UGH! I'd rather rape a Camel".

"Hell has no fury like a woman scorned".

Back