• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

A Teacher at my college says all military veterans are illiterate, and rapists.

I don't think this is a non issue. she may have a valid point about vets struggling academically or being ill prepared for a transition back to civilian life, but the comment about rapists crosses a line; IMHO that clearly shows prejudice.

I had a similar professor in college but he was prejudiced against non-liberal arts majors; I took one of his classes partly to fulfill a requirement to take x number of non engineering courses and partly because the course name and description sounded interesting. His long winded introductory lecture on the first day of class made it painfully clear that he considered engineering majors in his class to be wasting the time of the people who really belonged there and he encouraged us to drop out while we still could without penalty. I don't think anything that I handed him came back with a C, despite the fact that I really put a lot of effort and thought into my work and actually had had an English prof for my obligatory freshman English course ask me if I was a writing major and also asked my permission to copy one of the first papers I wrote for that class to hand out as an example (with my name elided of course) of what she was looking for to the class.

If I'd been as crotchety and difficult then as I am today I'd probably have made a big deal out of that. That still is not anywhere close to the level of insult as accusing a whole group of people of being rapists, especially those who have chosen (as there hasn't been a draft in ages) to serve for whatever reason, at the potential cost of their lives.

I have a 3.8 I had a 4.0 for almost two years and the two classes that gave me Bs were my favorite and my favorite teachers. I don't complain about hard classes.
I'm complaining about someone who has enough hate to openly bad mouth a group yet has the power to fail that group or leave negative marks on their future.

This isn't her first time, students have started to come forward about it.

Her husband was in the Army and her son wants to be. She hates the husband and is a bitch to the son about it. She also hates mormons because her husband was one apparently he left a mark.

I don't think this is a non issue. she may have a valid point about vets struggling academically or being ill prepared for a transition back to civilian life, but the comment about rapists crosses a line; IMHO that clearly shows prejudice..

The first bit was an attempt to back peddle her original claims, making it seem like it's a concern when really she was just saying all mil is illiterate and had no desire to help. After that she lets that bit of hate slip about us being rapists.

She's made the rapist claim before as well.

Last edited:
WB, her actions and words have already proved her to be a bigot.

I agree with the rest of your statement.

I can tell you as a vet, I am in my second quarter of school. So far, my time in the service has been invaluable. My life experiences allow me input that the professors do not usually receive. My attention to detail keeps them honest.

This woman is a bigot, based on her words. An ignorant bigot at that, which is usually the truth about bigots.

I don't think this is a non issue. she may have a valid point about vets struggling academically or being ill prepared for a transition back to civilian life, ...

I agree.

I just can't get a handle on the whole "rapists" bit as reported by the media.
One could have just as well have said the thing about the GB Packers a few years back as each case of "Sexual Assault" made the paper. You know it wasn't the Clubs fault, but the individual Players messing up on their private time. However what Players do in their private time affects the rep of the Team as a whole, just as this Instructors FB comments have come back to haunt her Professional Career. It has been widely publicized that Service People have trouble adjusting to life outside of the Military. There have been suicides, murders, sexual assaults, etc. Do we blame the "Team" or the Individual for this perception? And what will the Military do to address this issue so that Service People do not face this stigma when they get out?

-Ron

I have one Associates degree (photography), one Bachelor's degree (journalism) and am working on a second Bachelor's degree (Parks and Recreation with a Natural Resource emphasis). I put 11 years into the military to give your teacher (no matter how ill-informed they may be) the right to be able to voice their opinion. Even if I don't agree with it and would love to shove their opinion where the sun doesn't shine.

Scott, I will politely disagree. Our service did not protect the right of people to act foolish, much less ya it out load.

The first amendment guarantees that the government can not suppress our speech. It does not guarantee us the right to say what we want, when we want or where we want.

It is a common misconception. Every time we say something like this, the less informed believe us.

I put 11 years into the military to give your teacher (no matter how ill-informed they may be) the right to be able to voice their opinion. Even if I don't agree with it and would love to shove their opinion where the sun doesn't shine.

How can you protect something you don't even know.
Amendment I
Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances.

Feel free to let me know where exactly the first states it protects one's employment in a position of power over a group they despise.

I will admit that I didn't follow the link. My point was that I, as an 11-year veteran, am not illiterate (with three degrees and as an ex-journalist) and am not a rapist and to place all veteran's into a category such as this, it just wrong and disrespectful.

Albandit,

Again, there is only one race, and we are all part of it. Blacks are not a separate race, neither are Indians or any other classifications that you can think of. There is but the human race. Race baiting is something that was developed by the left, to cause division amongst the people. Look it up.

Correct.

There is only one "race" - Homo sapiens sapiens.

There are varying "ethnotypes" - caucasoid, mongoloid, negroid, and the proposed Australoid for the Aborigines - but "ethnotype baiting" doesn't sound as catchy, nor does "ethnotypism."

It's kinda like child molestation - while they are "paedophiles" in a sense of the word, a "paedophile" is simply someone who enjoys children. This enjoyment need not be at all sexual, and often is not. Kindergarten teachers can be said to be paedophilic, as can paediatricians.

When such enjoyment turns sexual, it's no longer "paedophilia" in general, but "paederasty" specifically. Sadly, the term "paedophile" has been horribly corrupted through common (mis)usage, so now we're stuck with it.

And that really burns my arse! We don't need to redefine words through popular (mis)usage when we already have words that encompass the concept. "Tragedy" is another horribly misused word, as is "decimation" (and variations,) and "billet."

Again, there is only one race, and we are all part of it. Blacks are not a separate race, neither are Indians or any other classifications that you can think of. There is but the human race. Race baiting is something that was developed by the left, to cause division amongst the people. Look it up.

So to sum up. People are people unless they're left wingers.

Hahaha, go read some history. This wasn't a political statement. It was fact.

Nice try though. I won't be baited by the likes of you.

Lefties are people too, not always the brightest of people, but people.

Read 5-90s post, try to understand, I know that there lots of big words, but at least try.

Yan, you are a troll. You came into this post with nothing to add, just a question to incite someone.

I'm done engaging you. You are not worth the time.

I'm not being a troll, but I do recognize that some people deserve to be classified.
Case in point, I would classify that teacher as an idiot in need of a good ol fashioned firing. I often shake my head when I hear so-called educated (employed) people say uneducated things (deserving of unemployment).

I raised my right hand to support and defend the constitution.

That includes everyone's opinion, not just the ones I choose to agree with. If you don't like her opinion or her outlook on life, don't associate yourself with her. When you publicize her position, you give it validity.

Just like I don't burn American flags, but I don't condemn the people who have the right to do so. My position in the military supports everyone's rights, not just the ones I think are right.

If she has violated a policy set forth by the people who write her paycheck, she deserves the consequences associated with it. If she hasn't, you're just as much wrong as she is. You've chosen to discriminate against her because of her words like she has because of someone's service.

Good point, but if she has the right to say stupid things than we should have the right to say stupid things back. Also, if -as a teacher- she's spreading uneducated comments than I firmly believe she's working in the wrong field.

And that's none of your business. There are plenty of people in the world that use their position in life to propogate their own opinions. (See POTUS)

Like I said, it's not about what she says or what she thinks. It's about whether or not she's done something against the policies of the organization that writes her paychecks. Remember that every publicist on the planet will tell you that there's no such thing as bad press. She's already accomplished what she set out to do if she's got a bunch of people talking about her opinion. Continuing to do so only emphasizes her point across multiple mediums to the people that actually agree with her.

If you take the high road people will talk about it for a day and then it will disappear along with all of the rest of the silly stuff that people say everyday.

I think it is my business, because I'm of the mind education should be bi-partisan. I understand she stated her comments were personal, but she also stated that she's a teacher. She's an educated individual; therefore, it's hard for me to accept her naivety. Constitution or not, certain careers come with limits to one's ability to share their personal thoughts with the public.

Back