• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

A shocking question...

I don't think you will have enough room for the shock eyelet, and the shock body at full compression, I think to remove that much material, you will be removing the bolt holes, or at minimum severely weakening them.

Shock body shouldn't be an issue since most of the shocks I'm looking at mount body side up. Still might not be enough room though.

I did stumble across this image however. It's from a teraflex (TJ) LCG pro lift kit. Seems like something like this for our lower mounts would be a sweet solution to get rid of the bar pins & provide for a longer shock.

Hmmmm...

0612_4wd_31z%2bteraflex_lcg_pro_suspension_system%2brear_upper_shock_bar_pin_eliminator.jpg

All jokes aside, do not just put two tabs off the lower control arm mounts like a noob.

Not planning on it. It seems like it could probably be done with enough reinforcement to work, but it's beyond the scope of my garage fabrication at this point anyway.

, but it's beyond the scope of my garage fabrication at this point anyway.

Only one way to increase your abilities and tooling...

$60 DeWalt grinder and a $450 Lowes Lincoln 110v MIG welder can accomplish a lot.

Haha, agreed! And while I have some of the tools it's more a question of space when it comes to deciding to start doing even simple fabrication out of my garage.

With the autocross Mustang, two motorcycles and 5 bikes already in the garage - there isn't much room for more!

There's also the small advantage to having access to the plethora of bolt-in axles to be found for a Cherokee.

Contrary to what some might believe about engineers - where nothing we do gets beyond the drawing board - when you're on a small race car team engineering includes everything from design, manufacturing, testing and competing. Sadly the "big kid" job means I have less time for such endeavors these days...

uHgJi_9m1CZQ2AZWFaNcAn3RCGg-eSiPU8sthHAe-V0HWfQFsUU0X7tpBb5mr8fc3BPTXWKwtZa0ibucL1aE4PD2Kfw-K5GV0V0_dJ93CEUz1ykdLcYn0UB6VSs4cjrGcgrCXIusVcQroqj8WhveOxQzm0XHi_1mLeHLvX9--mNLm4VEHHjPJvyhYQsHGkGJSCbND1jPJlxWE0oTmCVf0kpq4xgfEhIG9PyjP0KL9se56Z9DaJc-HqsbFI35P5j6fbWqWGem6hBvqj-Lxd0AIWtzfnbrCqbPlErwsP9RgEmyzYlY0k0HrmpzGkHnI5mWgZoF7XZ27guvxR5ytbtuyLL0sq8GxcTLHUoNn_6WmF1pqKoHdcr_JHB2kKHEd-V3_YSM2MEzi_5dbmQaVqJgbw3PBTX7lM98e4wxSQzDNDHhJ_3mIBLRCocZXzCRmiQoM41jkw56s-6JsTSIi016AtQgRDw8qqTPjyZ0YRHBrxNoTUfJawP266hD8U7FD5pCmfukQgrYo2thGgoQ8lj54Xjq0aA1wOvdyYJWIX6sXnqS3cDlE585qZAw1Bgs5UzneC6Om6ZSlRoOzuOX6nOOmUiTNLWeN42P=w320-h426-no

WZAgYaOini4-Ktse_cJ7EBYoI6RmQenKeuhZ2wHeeo80Kc7vS--xZ-ZDNuw9zvfsZ1XtJm7XfPNFik6F5LSaPK-oBs7_XCSFNVSNr0Bu72RoTmkheVS8X_eHzWXxobts7RkIBCpHxrXHbz_QjmXICGX_7o4sio_RjSe1k9C-D6MVvRBX_Zl6nQnxU2e_5FzyiC8VEdjmxgqinWYJzkgvHUvBlIXMHwNBBr3w89Am17jT_LEGTN_msinXh_nGCnvGBub4IOoPS6Wvg9U22-P7135nS8E4JrZIww0IYw5exwLhyBrOTUD8onp-QXU_LRWiX1FScA0T1veNGYHftYhMTbNJdF_QwunMD7tr3EssSCB4wYtVcOkVSaoaJZ3roJ9eq9fNT38MD7j1T5YytTfnQBQdhUlaVsxp1ZkT_TYjn-YgjoQCRWKcoDkTT52Nl0T68EYUBkleb_7yqbkjkkLQmtbwNAKxqSiHbo1IxOyEeZt8tIMvdOnq-Ig23tmxYqyI6Ez8kOHgT7DCqp6UJhDwSGMuqrliPFQVgKpY5u6XfYBz7QLt9UG9idGnWMH2CgRhUbmnyd1AMaXoXfCQulXJ9JtbwkHaH959=w568-h426-no

b17qiZMwG0Txo_UEcS9JluGClkJIhNhPfEZjDgt-K85C6xbSCe3nIMluxMV5_QjasUzVtzdfuyzGqAD6bx5hUGCehBEPoqHG1NIl3Z7qoTaG99tSX7WViBtgSQN18W1ruNlrjfQbwsDqGv-6_B0JKBENzRcZuCITI0NBZMnu53vfQDDfmOYG4PNI9Slzw5P33lJ6lqUcNmCvQpTfYZd81HWaCTCnfA1Mw-GnAzdLdWA0CvVk0SkKOq4gyshp_B43-fF8lyuJl0hugyd8Bjz6xCWAJQgNbGkYAo0jcR2H3aMg4BPHZ26t_un1_rTB_tb_htDZO04iRcJr3kFmLrLCCGWZGoQ0GohoYfPs8-0kAv4UvN1QSzL6ArDSyeDp3qC1nIch-wRZxDVpExgiy5nANiW2mJAV4F-rei5WJBYLxw5hVI3KNZLqeDdQiLM6KaDqOQBRGM4_lpzrsaFIjcuECx4KeBYi1s25mIolTycx8SfWZXDjrF0EnXcR2ya5KZAWM1qE5_gRqr_aZZxh4o5PhcixZkThciDA58dj4dF1cldaApKBczwSKDEjQHtiseoj-isjI_pSz6StqYQ0PNVj8q-Ga6KlOVzP=w320-h426-no

2kbwiP5C0a7av5aHP8iR6KebVx6M7T5Kz9Rw-V5WQsNnmve18p1drfKVojrPnjplQ8UrK5zuiP65UkFY5Hlh5XaPbiEaYdHuukYC5HrmfRO29cWDZd4ayppJnpBz1vmAu_f4ItnEKTiUFBRvOb6rS2ajnJVLvEH8-3Q2cMzQatakTGHgcP2YykAnFkYlJwXwwcTmv9lr65gSzZ--cgyU-ywQYj3JccWcecMEJwdVpzg5KqsD760O-dR207HCR8pq6ZszMK0WPd3kYI4rrb4QmWkBGvjaIQN48iyXEH80_FtiVdc4kJD7yS15XD9X3UUEjW-GzmGeGlrZ5eoVDF_E0jbYfkPCeTPvrKGgvL7rZN8gbkKjhRU2UZ3wZpqGtJoT3AhthusBXBS7-M_X7UrXgtSqBYswDbkSsONUPiw2SnZxUqsy-Co8HoHUUJusXJ4fSFlcf-CF7beNL7ssCdelQDKY5Jnbdgc78I8EprVEmgvRoHEK4e7YB3RnNOHcBjG07x6wIXlinpOd1vLUZIDVspZtnsYXgLe70lGk_kbJ5LxAwTw2l-Nz4v9CsvF_tY71613KSlJvTGG7c4_rOdggzb3fJG8sH7QM=w720-h540-no

Formula here. Oregon State University "Global Formula Racing".

If designing and building an open wheeled race car and competing in Michigan, California, the UK, Germany, Austria and Italy isn't a race team I'd hate to hear what you have to say about Jeep speed guys...

www.global-formula-racing.com

Really though. Composite chassis, engine management, suspension, torsion differential, pneumatic shifting, aero package etc all designed in house. Much of it, composite chassis included built in house. Sponsorships from major automotive suppliers. I'm not certain what entails a real team but it felt awfully close.

Not that any of this particularly matters regarding shock choice.

no comments on jeep speed.

but i am an SAE alum myself... as well as doing design judging and cost auditing at MIS. i am quite aware of the SAE programs. and i am familiar with the cobbled together mess even some of the top tier teams bring to comp. oregon does in fact do some cool stuff, ill attest to that. but even the bottom of the barrel SAE guys at my half rate engineering school can handle most tasks. fitting a shock in a tight space isnt that challenging.

I'm not certain, but your comments seem as though an attempt at a personal attack.

If I'm mistaken, please let me know.

For the record, in my year (2010) we were not A top team. We were THE top team - at the competition you judge at. Was the car perfect? Not even close. I suspect it was designed and built to at least the standards of amateur racers hanging out on a Jeep Cherokee forum. I don't see a reason to knock either and would be ecstatic about being part of either one. I would think a judge of all people would be supportive of such endeavors...

I should also note: They got back to me and can produce a shock with a compressed length of 14.5", extended length of 23.75" for 9.25" of travel. They can do this by putting their rebuildable components in the housing of their serviceable shock. This gives it the same "spun" type end at the stem side as the Bilstein 5160s which takes up less space than the threaded end they traditionally provide on rebuildable shocks. Because it's the non-threaded housing it'll be somewhere between their serviceable price ($130) and rebuildable price ($182).

So it took a bit of back and forth... In the end my 3" lifted Jeep will get 9.25" travel rebuildable, external reservoir 2" shocks @ roughly $300 for the pair. No fabrication required. If I sort out a way to mount bushings below the OEM mounting surface - 14.75" compressed length would provide 9.5" of travel.

Now they may show up and be terribly valved, poor build quality, or otherwise flawed. But since that data isn't available I guess I'll just have to buy them and see.

The Doetsch shocks I had on my ZJ were crap they ...all 4...leaked oil in less than 6 months if mostly easy commute driving on ZJ built to drive easy for looks...I would not say they are all junk that is just one set of shocks but I would not gamble $200 a shock on them when that buys shocks with known quality .

Its a big world out there, and on this forum. You'd be surprised what some of these folks do for a living. Some of the folks here are master craftsmen in their own trades, and you are certainly not the only person with an engineering degree.

Toning down the horn tooting a bit, and ya might get you more helpful responses, and you might be able to learn something.

I never once claimed a lack of intelligence on the part of any individual who replied to this thread. Nor did I make any assumptions about the background, career, etc of anyone. In fact on multiple occasions, I pointed out that individuals provided useful information and in the case of CAL likely held a world of knowledge I was not privy to.

Early responses to my question were met with assumptions about a lack of my intelligence. Assumptions that I had already chosen a product simply because I would not accept a lack of information as an answer.

I'll admit, I foolishly pandered to the whims of the internet in replying to them. My goal was to simply make clear that a technical answer should not be held back on account of assuming I wouldn't understand.

Responses then degraded into attacks on my character. Which I again foolishly responded to.

It seems to me that if you find a conversation unnecessary, you would... Not click on the thread.

Is this Pirate4x4 or NAXJA?

Hey, you could always slow down some if you dont want to pay.

Man, you REALLY want those shocks dont you?

Buy them!

You have been warned a million differant ways, you deserve what you get.

Dude, you're an engineer. That means your sole purpose in life is to over-complicate the most basic of tasks and you are succeeding spectacularly in this thread and getting angry at everyone else for not wanting to have a hugely unnecessary technical conversation about a topic that has been beaten to death.

NAILED IT

Why not buy some dirt logics by f*ag tech?

If you put all the effort into being an engineer, that you do in finding excuses for peoples arguments against DT, you could afford a set of foxes!

Ok, so as an engineer you know fluids fallow the path of least resistance...
Bypass tubes BYPASS the shock piston... meaning you cannot make a shock zone stiffer than the static valving, you can only make it SOFTER than the static valving...

consider giving the shock game a rest for a minute and focusing on the suspension geometry itself. fancy shocks and tuning can make a world of difference on a race rig, but arent going to make THEE difference from where it sounds like your suspension is at.

Yeah, please mount your shocks to the control arm mount, so YOU TOO can look like the pics I posted of tone on page 2.

SAE baja/formula is a far cry from a "race car team"

humor me... what school? which SAE program?

but even the bottom of the barrel SAE guys at my half rate engineering school can handle most tasks. fitting a shock in a tight space isnt that challenging.

Admin go ahead and close the thread I think the OP is going with Bilstein, another satisfied customer!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Admin go ahead and close the thread I think the OP is going with Bilstein, another satisfied customer!

lol. might as well.

Its not the amount of travel that actually ****ing matters......its the quality of travel.

who the **** uses post mount anyway? :cheers:

Back