• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

30% off at REI until christmas eve

you got proof to back that up or just saying it to say it?

I've got proof I'll post when I get home, but if you look at the major SUWA supporters up to 08 or 09 REI is on their list of top 5. It was one of those yrs that people came down hard on REI about it so they removed themselves from all the lists after by not being a direct SUWA supporter.

Edit: I see other links to proof has been posted.

I haven't set foot in an REI in several years. Even without proof of corporate management funding SUWA and their ilk, it's always seemed to me that REI and it's major customers have problems with motorized recreation. I've decided that I'll shop from other sources.

Last year or maybe the year before that they were listed on SUWAs website as one of their top contributors.

Even if they never gave SUWA a dime, look at that list. They obviously are donating a lot of money to groups who work very hard to shut down public trails.

Phil, maybe you haven't had any of your favorite trails closed like we have here but it's become pretty obvious to me that the only real way to fight the anti-access groups is to go after their money tree. If you hit the pocketbooks of their contributors then they have to think a little about contributing to the fringe groups. If REI isn't donating to SUWA anymore than maybe it's working...if just a little.

Here's the full list of recipients of donations by REI for 2010.
http://www.rei.com/pdf/aboutrei/2010_Grant_Recipient_List_Final.pdf

At the beginning of Forest Service Travel Management plannig here in California the Off-road Community asked for support from REI. After all here in California anyone that drives on a dirt road is an Off Highway Vehicle and REI is moving toward car camping, we were told to pound salt!
Look at the list, first you will not see one OHV group, second do a little research you will find 90% of the groups support closing our Public Lands to any type of motorized access!

Go ahead and shop REI but don’t come crying when you no longer can go off Roading in this free country of ours!!!

Good Off-Roader don’t shop REI

Just for the record, I'm not disagreeing with you, or anyone else who doesn't support buying from them. I've never actually bought something from REI. I, as it shows, have simply asked someone to prove what they were saying. Nothing more. Then certain people jumped to the conclusion that I had or do purchase from there, hence the ignorant comment. Just wanted to throw that out there.

And the one post saying go shopping there with an exclamation point, was a bit of sarcasm.

Here are the contributions for Washinton state groups.

Washington Area Bicyclist Association Rockville Youth Bike Project $3,000
Washington Trails Association WTA 2010 Volunteer Trail Maintenance $20,000
Washington Water Trails Association Public Access Outreach $10,000
Washington Wildlife and Recreation Coalition WWRC's Action Fund $20,000

I'm gonna keep shopping at REI. When I need something now, they have it. It's usually small stuff like a map. They can don't they profit portion of my $8 map wherever they like, it isn't going to make much difference

Man if half this passion could be harnessed toward actual useful political activity rather than boycotting a retailer who will do fine without us then perhaps the offroad community would do better. We actually have more in common with other users of the outdoors than the logging companies who want to gate more access. Perhaps it is time to do more outreach, volunteering and other slightly more positive activity than playing willingly into the negative stereotype that we have. Personally my issue with REI has a lot more to do with exporting jobs to China than supporting environmental groups. Spend more money there, lobby them to support causes we can buy into if you are that bothered.

Man if half this passion could be harnessed toward actual useful political activity rather than boycotting a retailer who will do fine without us then perhaps the offroad community would do better. We actually have more in common with other users of the outdoors than the logging companies who want to gate more access. Perhaps it is time to do more outreach, volunteering and other slightly more positive activity than playing willingly into the negative stereotype that we have.
X2! Well said, Nick.

Damn, I knew nothing of this. I used to work for Eastern Mountain Sports, and they were the bad guys because they were the competition, now I have one more reason not to shop there. And if EMS is a supporter like REI, I'll have to stop buying there too.

Nick, your right about the passion, but don't knock anything that is done to work against overzealous orgs like SUWA. Every little bit DOES help.

It seems to me that we have proven 1 thing from this thread........

There are two types of people on our forum; Outdoor enthusiasts, and Wheelers. Some of you try to pretend to be both (depending on the argument at the time). The reality is that it would be best served for each of us to be a little more educated about all of the things that we do, how we do them, and who we support!

Seems I have supported all of the top donators with my time, effort and support (every single one of them listed below). I also used to work for REI and am still a long time member (for many reasons, some listed earlier, it is an excellent company). I also agree with Nick's comments whole hartedly (although this isnt unusual, he usually has great things to say and says them well!).

I support motorized use of our public lands! I also am detested by the way in which many motorized users use our public lands!

Am I not allowed to mt bike, hike, climb, ski, walk, camp, if I wheel? Isn't there room for all of us?

Maybe I should be banned!

Michael

REI has been of the philosophy that "Muscle Powered Recreation" is the only kind of recreation that is suitable in the outdoors since the DAY THEY OPENED. It is a little sad that you guys don't know this. If you don't care, that's on you.

http://www.wildwilderness.org/docs/reiquits.htm

As for those that posted about taking our passion and putting it where our mouth is. . .some of us do volunteer, write letters, attend meetings, build relationships with lawmakers and generally try to do the right thing to promote our lifestyle.

Look what I found on the back of the latest REI ad. :D

2heho3d.jpg

While they may not be North Face, I'm sure they're just as comfy.

Back