• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

The end all Exhaust/ Header thread!

Started plumbing not quite through the trans crossmember and in the clear yet.

Gained lots better driveline clearance

Kept the crossover above the control arms theyre about the only protection the exhaust gets.

Last pick is stock pipe thats been beat up by driveline and oil pan.

Afraid this thing will be loud it may get resonator to tame down the spintech, well see.

Tomorrow night hopefully get through the crossmember mount spintech and kick pipe over rear axle then decide where O2 bung is going to go. Also will block off egr port in intake.

Also what causes carbon build up in intake ports in the head
33344b381a389954630decffd115ca16.jpg
f106ec2ac0c7f41e1edbad8e5ecb8a8e.jpg
18e17996017836bb01476cea405496e8.jpg
892371c37f114d1256c8b5e120653daf.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

'Also what causes carbon build up in intake ports in the head?'

My best two guesses are, oil getting past the vales ie valve stem seals gone bad. At least on the exhaust side. I spent last night cleaning the intake ports on my 2000 Intake manifold. Yes, they were carboned up. So, probably not the valve stem seals. I would say that is from the CCV system.
The latter 96+ CCV is suppose to be better than previous ones. Well, not entirely true. It did have a RENIX motor in my '88 Comanche. I had the dreaded 'blow-by'. I upgraded to a '95 valve cover. Also, did Cruiser's Tip on the oil towers. I had a rough time getting it to seal with the cork valve cover gaskets. I finally got it sealed with some rubber ones. I had to splice the CCV hose to the intake manifold to get to use the Big Hose CCV from the later XJs.
So, the not really. I like the looks of the cast aluminum valve covers. Still, I want the latter CCV grommets. I don't like the looks of the aftermarket ones. Well, Jeep planned ahead. The 93-95 Grand Cherokees have aluminum valve covers with the late style CCV grommets. I also use a Fel-Pro rubber gasket from the 91-95 HOs. I think $35. Also, used the 'Big hose' CCV and fitting. Looks good.
If you are using oil, this might be the issue. I'd also look into the '99+ 'Horse shoe' intake manifold. Might not have to splice the rear CCV tube/hose.

Doesn't use oil.
I'll consider it normal ish then.

I do have this intake ive been eyeing. No clue what year. Since I'm deleting egr its nearly a straight swap with the addition of a throttle cable.

It appear the renix tps sensor will bolt on the newer throttle body but haven't verified.

Doesn't look like a horse shoe. Maybe ill check out what your talking about atvtge salvage yard
12bec6f9d8b07a33aa9db0baea4f84a5.jpg

Look here:
https://naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1162392&page=2

Also, I think there is a wiring change to use the HO TPS. Check around though. I though I read somewhere that a latter say 2006 TPS was the same wiring as a RENIX. ???
You have an HO 91-96 Intake and a RENIX intake pictured. I was going to offer to bore the RENIX TB, I think I have. I have been boring out some 4.0L TB the last few weeks. Just to the 60mm. I did the last 3 with a taper at both ends. Actually, the inlet side has a cast taper. I machined that. It was actually causing me issues, as I could not dial or center the bore. Then I chucked on the outside. I might have an HO to spare, if you haven't bored one out. It would be interesting as to what performance it gives.
I will note on my '98 XJ with the 99+ intake and 2.5 exhaust, I did notice better performance on some hills or inclines. I can't remember which injectors I was running. I think the Ford 4 holes. Presently, I am running the 12 holes. On the RENIX, I hear the Volvo is the injector to use. Also, some use a Neon 1-hole injector. I don't have a clear view on this.

Your top intake manifold is a RENIX 87-90. Bottom HO 91-95.

Thank you for the link and information.

Its so hot I may take my time . If I do the swap id like to do the latest and greatest

Might do some junk yard prowling.

I might be interested in a bored throttle body.

If I do swap i have to fab a intake hot air suck pipe ;) lol.

Sorry to take this thread to the intake side
b8857d9dd5a119d522bec433030343e8.jpg

Thank you for the link and information.

Its so hot I may take my time . If I do the swap id like to do the latest and greatest

Might do some junk yard prowling.

I might be interested in a bored throttle body.

If I do swap i have to fab a intake hot air suck pipe ;) lol.

Sorry to take this thread to the intake side
b8857d9dd5a119d522bec433030343e8.jpg

If you mean the CCV tube, then you might be OK if you update the Valve Cover and the intake manifold. If you decide on an HO Throttle Body, then I'll ship you one. I'm just messing with them and don't want to charge for them. More as a data point.

I have a valve cover to I think. Whats ccv?

CCV is Crank Case Ventilation system. Basically, a modern PVC system. Look at the later XJ or 4.0L with the stamped steel valve covers. Then try and find a 93-95 ZJ with the 4.0L. The VC has the same CCV gromets or setup.

Started plumbing not quite through the trans crossmember and in the clear yet.

Gained lots better driveline clearance

Kept the crossover above the control arms theyre about the only protection the exhaust gets.

Last pick is stock pipe thats been beat up by driveline and oil pan.

Afraid this thing will be loud it may get resonator to tame down the spintech, well see.

Tomorrow night hopefully get through the crossmember mount spintech and kick pipe over rear axle then decide where O2 bung is going to go. Also will block off egr port in intake.

Also what causes carbon build up in intake ports in the head
33344b381a389954630decffd115ca16.jpg
f106ec2ac0c7f41e1edbad8e5ecb8a8e.jpg
18e17996017836bb01476cea405496e8.jpg
892371c37f114d1256c8b5e120653daf.jpg

Well that's some guaranteed cracking!

I did get the the header swapped in. I could not say if there is a HP increase. If so, its slight, maybe 5 hp. I will say the engine runs smoother and the power progresses better than the stock cast iron exhaust manifolds.

I think that it might rev quicker with ho header I have run it but not with a good muffler yet. The small muffler i drove around the block was loud and embarrassing.
I did make a quuter muffler and did a trail run with it but feel its choking it out at upper rpms.

I have a spintech 5000 series in route.

Hoping it is noticable improvement over the muffler im running.

I also haven't set the tps. I just put it back were it was. Ill have to get off my but and get it adjusted properly.

What is the 17% number. Is this minumum fuel required to idle?
What happens if its adjusted alittle one way or the other im assuming would be under or over fueled per pedal position.

Would elevation play a role in this. 17% almost certainly is a number derived from performance at sea level

What's the love for spintech from? Maybe adding a highflow cat will help?
Nothing against spinach, but all my jeeps have sounded great with Flowmaster. 5.2, hemi 5.7, even the little 4banger wrangler sounded decent. The xj with Flowmaster 40 series sounds nice and throaty, not quite like the v8s, but fsr from ricer.

Sounds like all that work back fired so far? That's a bummer, but I'm sure you'll dail it in. Curious how that diy "muffler" sounds.
Got any clips from wheeling?

50 series would probly sound good to me without having to add resonators

My 40 series on 3" with resonator sounded good.

I dunno i love how spintech sounds on my ford.
Haven't to impressed with anything I've done on my 4.0 or otheres.

The spin tech 6000 on v8 wj with cats in place sounds very nice. And is dumped due to not having time yet to route tube through long arms.

Hasn't backfired as ove already got my money back out of the spintech 6000.

I thought dropping pipe size would help reduce sound. Haha not even close. My dummy muffler is sized same as 5000 thats on its way here so its a bolt in swap.

I've read alot on spintech no real reason othere than they are different. Was my bad as the 6000 is comparable to the little 10 flowmasters or whatever they are.

Luckily for me I like the research tune and try for myself process.

Diy muffler sounds like crap. But quiter than the the spintech 6000 with no ricer rasp that the 6000 has lots of.

I did not take a video of either its embarrassing you guys know. Lol the rest of the world doesn't need to hear it.

Try bolting up both? Your homemade bit can act as the cat, or more appropriately the "resonator" like my subi has before the mufflers. Might get rid of the rice, and give you a better sound out of the spintech?

Or just back to the drawing board. No shame in that. Only way to learn is to try... props for daring the unknown and the balls to be different bro

No I didn't try both the second muffler is twice the size so should be noticably quiter.

I can fir a small resonator just off the header if needed. Would be a fte twister.

I think that it might rev quicker with ho header I have run it but not with a good muffler yet. The small muffler i drove around the block was loud and embarrassing.
I did make a quuter muffler and did a trail run with it but feel its choking it out at upper rpms.

I have a spintech 5000 series in route.

Hoping it is noticable improvement over the muffler im running.

I also haven't set the tps. I just put it back were it was. Ill have to get off my but and get it adjusted properly.

What is the 17% number. Is this minumum fuel required to idle?
What happens if its adjusted alittle one way or the other im assuming would be under or over fueled per pedal position.

Would elevation play a role in this. 17% almost certainly is a number derived from performance at sea level

What TB are you using? HO or Renix? Also, bored out or not?

Back