• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Mounting a Hi-Lift?

jfiscus

NAXJA Forum User
I'm wanting to start carrying my high-lift around on my XJ now that I'm selling my FSJ cherokee. Where would be a good place to mount it on/in the XJ? I'd like to keep it inside the vehicle, but that may not be possible. How do you recommend mounting it?
(89 xj 4-door pioneer / 48" high-lift jack)

I pulled the rear seat out of my two door. There's a metal rail running crosswise under where the seat was, with 4 (?) holes in the top surface. Laid my hilift on that rail, found two holes that lined up, and secured it with 3" bolts and wing nuts...

It might fit under the seat like this, you'd have to try. Maybe if you took the base off the jack?

Lemme know if it works...

Robert

I've heard that it will fit if you take hte base off, but haven't gotten around to trying that on mine yet. Maybe that would be a good test for this weekend..

I took the base off mine and keep it under the back seat. You kinda have to force the seat down a little to get it to latch, but it works. However, I found out the downside is when your wedged between two rocks and you can't get the doors open you have to manuver it out the windo from the front seat.
Chad

here is a pic of it under my rear seat with the base off. It is the 48" model

i11.jpg

i12.jpg

John

It's not inside, but it's an idea.

When tires are too big to be kept in the stock location, you have to find something to do with the mounting bolt and big wingnut.

Mines welded to the rack and works great to hold down the jack.

is.php

I have a trick for mounting a hi-lift that keeps it from rattling and works great. Take a hockey puck and slice it in half, into two half moon shaped pieces. Drill a 1/2" hole through from the middle of the flat side you just cut to the other side. You can then mount a 1/2" bolt to what ever you want to bolt the jack to, slide the half puck over the bolt with the curved side out, and slide the jack rail over the bolt. When you apply a nut, it compresses the hockey puck and the pressure keeps the bolt from coming loose and the jack from rattling. I use a nut with a handle on it. I will post a pix in a few minutes.

HockeyPuck1.jpg

HockeyPuck2.jpg

Last edited:
Pretty slick and simple to do. Where did you find the bolt with the handle? Is that something that you can find at a hardware store?

Robert

Yes, around here the good hardware stores have racks of different types of hardware that are stocked by some company. I can't remember the name for the minute. They have them. The only problem is that they want about $9 a piece for them. I think McMaster Carr or WWGraingers probably has them cheaper.

I might have to try the 'under seat' method, but it could be pretty tricky to get out in an emergency, since my daughter's car seat is mounted there and 99% of the time she goes on my jeep rides.

XJWheelie said:
Pretty slick and simple to do. Where did you find the bolt with the handle? Is that something that you can find at a hardware store?

Robert

For my hiflift mount I simply made my own T handle bolts usint some 3/8 x 2" bolts with some 3/8 rod welded across the top.... some simple brackets fabbed onto the side of my custom rack and bobs your uncle... cheap and easy too. See if I can find my pictures and post em up

I have a warning about under seat storage of a high lift jack. Don't depend on the seat latch holding. I rolled over at Moab and all the tools I had under the seat decided to become airborne. I would hate to have jack chasing me around the passenger compartment.

Thinking outloud....

Is there anyway that you could permently mount a gun rack to a rear compartment side window and secure the hi-jack to that?

May or may not work...

Cottontail said:
Is there anyway that you could permently mount a gun rack to a rear compartment side window and secure the hi-jack to that?
I'd have to measure, but I'm pretty sure there's only about 60" from 'B' pillar to end of passenger area. At least, I think it's about 5 feet inside once I fold the seat down because at 6'4" I don't quit fit inside. A Hi-Lift at 48" would block the door, not to mention the weight of the jack would evercome most gun racks - you'd have to use heavier material than that. Finally, in the event you were rear-ended you'd have a 48" spear coming forward...I think I'll pass on that.

Along those lines, there's a TJ up here in NorCO with a Hi-Lift mounted fore-aft on the hood. To me, you're looking at the same problem if that is involved in an accident; Hi-Lift spear sticking through someone.

Along those lines, there's a TJ up here in NorCO with a Hi-Lift mounted fore-aft on the hood. To me, you're looking at the same problem if that is involved in an accident; Hi-Lift spear sticking through someone.[/QUOTE]

Along those same lines maybe you could mount across the hood, or fabricate a mount and put it on the same plane above your front bumper, kinda' like the top bar of a brush guard.

Robert

Back