• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

H4 led head light kits..... Thoughts?

hot_rod_hooligans

NAXJA Forum User
I'm running a modified Putco light harness, Autopal housings, and Hella xenon 80w/100w bulbs, with LED stop/turn signals. Today after talking with my father-in-law he showed me these:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2x-1800LM-H...-Truck-Head-lamp-Beam-Auto-Bulb-/291044621634
Looks like a fairly priced alternative to both Truck Lites, and a true HID conversion with projector lenses(not a fan of the projector lens look in an XJ), while reducing power drain and increasing life over going to the 100w/135w bulbs.

1600LM low/1800LM high equates to brighter than I currently am running(my guess is equal to 100w/135w), but is this something that I would want to run a projector lens like the hid conversions or are my current housings suitable? I'm also not entirely sold on the way the Autopal housings focus the light, mostly high beams, and have entertained the idea of upgrading to the Hella E-Code lenses.

Any thoughts?

Those look like a great deal but I would like to see a side by side comparison with stock and HID inserts. I like the price. If these are comparable to the LED headlights that sell for like $500 then it is a smoking deal.

Found this on Instagram. Tj stock headlights top left is low beam top right is high beam. Bottom photos are of corresponding led kit. Pretty impressive.

what about the whole issue of it getting hot enough to require fans in the bulb? I wonder what happens to that stuff exposed to elements like it is in XJ? seems overly complicated when the higher watt better harness thing is happening for you already. I have the same exact setup you do and have had no thoughts on upgrading from there for past couple years. New bulbs are like $5 each also.

This experiment shows that at least a fair amount of the time, LED bulbs will melt snow. Anecdotally, commenters on the thread I link to have said that sometimes, you are SOL with halogens, too.

I have read from a few different sources that say while driving in snow and ice the LEDs keep the snow from building up on the lights because they are so cool. The build up is caused by the melting and moisture allowing snow to stick. The theory of it sounds right but not sure on the actual results.

This would be enough to wrench $80 from my wallet.

How so? All I see is a blob of light with no discernible cutoff. Plus we don't know what housing they are in.

I purchased a set last week to put in my ZJ's e-code housings. I've seen a set in some random housing (don't know the brand) and was not impressed. Maybe I'll throw them in my Cibies on the XJ just for comparison too.

A blob of light is better than the terrible light coming from my xj. Mines mostly used off road, so I bought a 40" lightbar rather than upgrading the headlights. Talk about a huge blob of light with no cutoffs.

I went with H4 CIBIES for my DD XJ, and although they are not technically legal for DD, I think.., but, they do have a nice cut off for low beams for oncoming vehicle traffic, and very impressive with the high beams on the lonely straight-a-ways. Totally dislike HID, and LED setups coming at me in the dark, or following to closely. (Seems a pre-cursor to road rage issues). CIBIES really help to see those moose, etc., those about to attempt a road crossing in front of me, giving me the extra time well within my braking speed limitations. Anyway one thing I notice with brighter lights are all of those road signs that glare twice as bad.., very annoying. If your vehicle is just for off road well.., whatever.

Back