• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

your opinion on gears

Which Gears

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
joking

its a JU thang. people will say they have like 35's and 3.55 and it "work" and by works they mean flooring it to get rolling and burning up the transmission cruising the interstate at 1,100 RPM in overdrive

btw i double checked my RPM's today
33's + 4.56 in OD (98 auto)
@60 = 2100 RPM
@70 = 2900-3000 RPM

LouisianaZJ said:
btw i double checked my RPM's today
33's + 4.56 in OD (98 auto)
@60 = 2100 RPM
@70 = 2900-3000 RPM

I think your speedo is off, or your math is off, or your ph balance is off.
I have a '99 auto, with 4.88s and BFG MTs in 33" flavor.
At 75 MPH (on the GPS and the speedo) I am turning 2900 or so RPMs.
You have higher gears, but go slower than I do at the same RPMs?
:lecture:

4.88's 33's aw4 in overdrive
55------2100
60------2250
65------2500
70------2700
75------2900

I don't use overdrive unless I'm going faster then 60. I can deffinatly feel the power start around 2500. It's taken me a while to get used to the rpm's running continuosly over 2500.

I want to know(b/c I've been trying to regear my rig also), Is exactly what kind of gas milleage are y'll getting in town vs. Highway,... With 33" tires w/4.56's vs. 4.88?????

I run 31" w/3.55 Aw4 1990
City:13 mpg
Highway: 18->19 mpg @65mph
Thanks.
-John

ok well since we are on the topic and everyone likes to argue about this i am gonna ask as well to see what people have to say...

ok I have a 85 xj w/ a 3.4 V6 out of a camaro 8 in lift and 34 10.50 ss tsl's... now the rest... BUT it has the factory trani 5spd (i think maybe out of a AMC 2.8 V6? atleast i think it was a V6 before the swap... ) and tc ok now the axle ratios... it also still has the factory dana 30 front and the factory dana 35 rear with the 3:07 gears... now my input... it runs and drives just fine it doesnt take to much clutch to get movin round town but i know it def. needs taller gears because it halls booty once it gets movin i havent been offroad with it yet but i bet it wont be very smooth on some of the hills and what not espically with the manual 5spd... i am planning on changing the gears very soon and i was wondering what would work well it is my DD as well as my trail rig and in the next year or so i will be going to 35's or 36's i also drive on the highway quite a bit so i would like it to do ok there as well as offroad with some of the best of them i would like to get 18mpg on highway... so lets hear what yall have to say i dont need the speed (its a jeep...) about 80-85 is all i care to do maybe 90 but at 75 i would like to be at around 2500-2800rpm... so let the debating begin... again...

Trent

LouisianaZJ said:
well i corrected the speedo with a 39 tooth. mabey i am still off a couple %

im finally goin with 4.56s and a d44 up front and 35s. i also need to correct the speedo cuz i think when mine says 57-59 im doin 74. said by the cop that pulled me over last week. funny thing is, is that i was going with the traffic and he spoted me out in the middle of a dang 5 lane expressway with cars all around me doing the same speed. o yea thats the second ticket i have gotten from him. he must not like jeeps. sorry about the off topic

Back