• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How long did your locked Dana 30 last on 35's?

I broke my short shaft, at the joint on my 30. It is a 94 axle, with 4.56's, stock shafts and a Lockright. I run 33's. The tire got caught while I was backing off of an obstacle.

The joint was non-greaseable and it was clearly dry. Boom, perfect recipe for breakage.

Broken Axle shaft by Sean Mitchell 707, on Flickr

Untitled by Sean Mitchell 707, on Flickr

It depends on how you wheel.
I broke spiders pinned up in a rock ledge. Also broke 2 shafts and hurt my ring and pinion.
My buddy who is running my 88s front end did the same thing just locked. That was on 34x9.5 swampers. That was when I decided to go dana 44. 30 spline inners 19 spline outers with lockouts spicer joints with oil impregnated bronze bushings and Full circle clips. Top with warn hubs and serve with a side of RUFFSTUFF steering beef.

35's, chromos, lockrite, and 4.88's here

Went to 4.88's because I stripped a couple of 4.56 teeth the first weekend out on 35's. Been wheeling a little bit more careful since and have had no issues.

So many opinions...

Tire diameter isn't the whole tire side of the equation, there is also width, airpressure, tread type, and terrain.

And nobody has talked about power yet.
A '96 and up makes 50 more HP than a non-HO.

Or transmissions:
It seems to me that automatics to allow more torque to be appled on the low end because of the loosly coupled relationship between the engine and the wheels.

I have ""yet"" to beak a shaft with a manual.

Or a 2.8L or a 2.5L.

But have busted more than I want with a '96 and up Automatic. I even twisted a short side chrome shaft at the splines with 31's.

That said, regardless of the engine/transmission/tire, if you watch out for sudden stoppage of the tires, don't apply tons of power with the wheels at severe angles, and drive it like you want to drive it home again, you stand a good chance of having things survive for a long time.

50 horsepower? Sometimes the things you spew amaze me.

The 4.0 launched at 177 horsepower and died at 190.

has anyone just locked up a dana 30 and left the rear 35 alone?

Not with that particular setup I haven't.

I had my 44/9" setup locked in the front with a full Detroit and left the rear open for drivability purposes on the street. Loved the setup! Actually plan on locking the front of my TJ and leaving the rear open.

has anyone just locked up a dana 30 and left the rear 35 alone?

yes, but even an open D35 with 35's is not likely to live a long life.

I broke a few with skinny 34's before going 8.8

wit the abundance of better axles that are out there cheap, a d35 is not really worth polishing.

Yeah, what he said.

You won't read anything good about the d35 other than a possible boat anchor.

I ran a d35 with 32's, open/open. I used a little too much throttle making a u-turn on gravel and grenaded it.

I wish i had video of how easy it was.

A few years back I had a great thread going on how to build a D35 for 35's.....but I had Cal deleted it because way to many people thought I was being serious.

John

A few years back I had a great thread going on how to build a D35 for 35's.....but I had Cal deleted it because way to many people thought I was being serious.

John

I wheeled with a trail guide that had a TJ on 35" Krawlers with a super35 kit in the rear. We weren't on the hardest trails in the world, but he said it was a pretty solid setup.

Would I do it? Not a chance.

And to the above question, I prefer both axles locked, rear first.

I ran a d35 with 32's, open/open. I used a little too much throttle making a u-turn on gravel and grenaded it.

I wish i had video of how easy it was.

the last one I broke was simply shifting into 2nd leaving a stop light turning left.

broke 4 teeth off the ring gear right there in the middle of the intersection.

I popped mine getting on it trying to make it up a snowy drive way. On 30 ats.

Cracker was selling an 8.8 to a guy some years ago. The guy no show'd to pick it up because his 35 broke hitting a pot hole on the freeway.

They suck that much. :0

Back