• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Your comments on a The Jeep Wave

Funny thing, the Jeep wave,....
I bought a CJ years ago, and started waving at other CJ/YJ/TJs driving around. I noticed it after a while, but don't really remember when/why I started. 'Just some weird unconscious thing.
After I got the XJ, I stopped waving at people. Again, not a conscious thing. I took a while to notice that the "real" jeep drivers weren't waving at me any more either.

It doesn't bother me(that the XJ doesn't get the wave), but it is interesting. I'll bet if we polled a bunch of TJ owners, they couldn't tell us why they don't wave at XJs

Well its easy, all the TJ drivers are cheerleaders as you all know. Cheerleaders go to many tournaments/meets, therefore meet eachother. They arent waving because of the TJ, they wave because they are fellow cheerleaders.
Problem solved

I got a buddy that drives a CJ7 and he refuses to wave to XJ's. He says "real" Jeeps have round headlights and laughs at my XJ.....till we're offroad that is, then it's my turn to laugh. :D

...it's true, my buddy called me "sponge Mike square lights", then I installed the D300 and detroits now he just calls me for a tow! Two wheel low rocks I say to him!

I usually give wranglers the nod They look at me like i am retarded in stock Jeeps. Usually the only people who wave back have lifted XJ's. Most people buy a TJ just because the top comes off. I also wave at Rubicon's they usually know the wave.

I wave at most people with rigs for offroad here, unless I know that they wheel in areas that are shut down or have seen them try to wheel those areas. Wranglers have weird responses sometimes since I've got they better rig minus two or three on island.

i used to think it was cool to wave and get a wave back, but like the rest of you said, " dont wave to stock jeeps " well i take my jeep on just as many trails as the rest of you, maybe not nearly as difficult but i do take it out trail running every chance i get, i even pulled a lifted xj out of the snow after he got stuck in it... every chance i get when i see someone stuck i help pull them out 50% say thanks, so from now on when i pull up next to someone stuck on a trail and no ones around, i'll stop but maybe i'll throw out a price to retreive them because of all the bad apples that ruin the reason to own a jeep... if they want out i'll get them out but its not like they would help me in return cuz im just a stock xj its you fellow xj'ers that send the disrespect to stock height jeeps...so expect it in return cuz were just punk kids with loud systems looking for a cheap jeep.

Hmm. In Texas, we tend to wave ALOT (at least in South Tx.):
To any county cops (not city police)
To anyone on a back country road
To anyone in a state park
To anyone we pass on the highway

Honestly, to pretty much everyone except the city folk and city police. Meh. I moved to north texas for college (Texas Tech) and found things are a little different. People either look at you weird for waving or just plain flick you off. I wave at anyone in any decent-looking offroad vehicle, sometimes they understand.

I will say that there is really a barrier between XJ and TJ drivers though. Almost like they aren't even jeeps. I drive my XJ and hardly any TJ's wave, but when I drive the family TJ with the 5 in. lift and 34's they all wave. It worse than the damn cliques in high school. When I had my Tuscani, all the sports cars waved.

Last edited:
You are such a badass. You are my hero. :)

and its not even like that, he was a friend that got off track a little bit and started to slide down the side of a mountain, my point is, just because your a lifted jeep dont make you some sort of a god, it dont make you special, just because your jeep sits higher than mine dont make you more capable to go more places then me. but the whole wave thing for me is over, i dont care if their tj's cj's toyotas hondas range rovers, if i pass them on a trail and have to pull to the side to let them pass, i'll wave, but thats only cuz they can see that im going down their same path. and more likely than not, they wave in return.

Persecution complex much?

i used to think it was cool to wave and get a wave back, but like the rest of you said, " dont wave to stock jeeps " well i take my jeep on just as many trails as the rest of you, maybe not nearly as difficult but i do take it out trail running every chance i get, i even pulled a lifted xj out of the snow after he got stuck in it... every chance i get when i see someone stuck i help pull them out 50% say thanks, so from now on when i pull up next to someone stuck on a trail and no ones around, i'll stop but maybe i'll throw out a price to retreive them because of all the bad apples that ruin the reason to own a jeep... if they want out i'll get them out but its not like they would help me in return cuz im just a stock xj its you fellow xj'ers that send the disrespect to stock height jeeps...so expect it in return cuz were just punk kids with loud systems looking for a cheap jeep.
\

Mine is sitting on 235's. My Jeep is small but none of the other people around here with stockers get the point of the Jeep wave! Mine goes on all kinds of trails too but i don't brag about it(to other Jeep guys :D)

So you say if you see someone stuck you are gonna Charge them now is that it? You are right no one would help you because you get on here and act like a prick to everyone and their brother. No one likes you! Sell your Jeep and buy a Honda with a fartcan i bet you'll fit in better with them!

The reason people say they don't wave to stock jeeps, is because the majority of them don't take them on trails.

In fact, most of them would probably think we're crazy :D.

So you say if you see someone stuck you are gonna Charge them now is that it?

Yes sir I am, when I lived in Galveston I would ride in Pelican Island a lot and at first when I saw someone that was stuck I would pull them out to for free. Then my number started getting passed around and soon strangers were calling me saying that I pulled a friend of a friend out and they needed help. So for the services of my winch I would charge a small fee. This was far less then any of the 4x4 wreckers were charging.

The 2nd summer I was there was the worst I was getting at least two random phones calls a week. But hey it paid for the beer!

ive noticed that only the most modded CJs TJs and YJs wave to my obviously modded XJ. when i see a brand new JK thats been heavily modded with all high dollar parts, they dont wave.

it seems that only the guys that love and appreciate the jeep brand wave to someone else that shares interest in the jeep brand. i assume the wrangler guys who wave to XJs are the ones who've done all the work on their rig themselves and didnt jusst pay someone to do it and they assume someone who drives a modded XJ did the same since it might have the reputation of being cheap to build.

If you're so butthurt, then sell it and run along to the Toyotas, I hear they're a very friendly bunch...Do you really have to stick around just so you can find a reason to b%@$# and moan, "Poor me, everyone's mean to me, they call me names and hate my loud music..."
Should I call the wambulance for you?

I was just telling my wife the other day that I am about to sell the XJ.

It seems to me the only people driving lifted XJ's are punk ass kids who don't give a crap about traditions. They have got so cheap to buy and built that they are now the vehicle to have by kids who can't afford anything else.

Lol.
That use to bother me too but I got over it. Their jeeps arn't much to look at anyway, at least around here.

I wave to anyone that looks like they wheel. If it's a toyota or something else I usually wait for them to wave first. I practically got flagged down by a yota guy one time. When we go on our trips there's a lot of different vehicles there.

Back