• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Xj tube Doors

Very nice!! Especially when The steel for 3/4" tube is dirt cheap, awesome job! I may have to make some of these for summer, I don't have AC :-/

For The hinge rattling instead of rubber snubbers, what about wrapping the hinge with rubber hose?

how much? and when will they be ready for delivery? also want the blue canvas installed? getting carried away lol if ur not selling them dont hate me for copying them for myself,(i will give u all the credit though!:rolleyes:) the best tube doors i have seen there are others ut there that are great , but these are my favorite. later

I've been thinking about price and will probably sell for $250 a pair (front or back), painted black, with the padded arm rests and another $40 for canvas covers with snaps.

Considering the time it takes to make one, I don't think it'd be very cost effective to sell for much less.....unless I just get that bored and with two little boys, that probably isn't going to happen.

Where abouts in Texas are you? I'd love to see these in person.

so awesome. Im definatly stealing this idea...(luckily my fabricator friend has already seen and talked about wanting to do them in this thread) thanks in advance Mikey...lol

Casey, the going price is 250 :) lol like dr jeckel stated... It takes a lot of time to fabricate this idea. I wont go fancy and lay pointy ends up I'll go flat tops and if i do it I'll make notes so it's easier to duplicate them later, I can make the doors themselves and just make the hinges a weld in position sorta setup.

Well, I finally got around to finishing these up this past weekend...well made 95% complete. I still need to make the rest of the covers, but you get the idea from the rear door cover what its going to look like.
I made some armrests and a cup holder for the driver side (need to do the passenger side). I only made one to test and see if they would hold up on the highway before I spent time making the others. I made the cover, which has velcro sewed to them and corresponging velcro on the inside of the door.....My wife quilts so I have access to a sewing machine. It held up just fine to a 30 mile trip to the river and back at 65mph, so now I just have to make 5 more pieces (2 pieces per front door). Also, took some cheapo autozone wmirrors that were chrome at painted them flat black.
They worked really well, so much nicer to be able to see the things around you.
Here are some pics and a nice poser pic at the end :toast:

IMG_0270.jpg

IMG_0275.jpg

IMG_0282.jpg

IMG_0281.jpg

IMG_0280.jpg

IMG_0279.jpg

IMG_0284.jpg

Very nice! How do you feel about those latches? Fairly secure? Do they rattle going down the road at all?

Also, lets see that rear bumper!

The latches work well. If you look in the picture of the latch you can see a rubber bushing below it. I found these in the plumbing section at lowes and they work real well at keep things snug. Rattling is very minor and I have plans to try a couple things to completely eliminate it.

Regarding the interest in the doors, thank you but I have since decided I'm not going to try and build any of these for other people. Using the gate latches and getting them to work properly requires them to align almost perfectly to the pin. Even a difference of an 1/8" and the hinge point translates into a huge difference at the latch and then it doesn't work. Also, these things take forever to do, I probably have about 40-50 hours in these doors and that's just too much time, which I don't have, with two kids and a full time job. So, thank y'all for the interest but these won't be produced by me although I do encourage anyone to use my idea and create your own.

Thanks again,
James

Last edited:
i would not mind them not lining up properly and would have easily paid $250 for a set for a 2 door xj

As he stated... 40 hours to build em... Calculate that to even 8/hr labor fees and $320 wouldn't be worth it in fee's alone...

I could see doing 2 doors in a weekends time thou :) hardest part would be mocking it up for measurements to make it fit.

Back