• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Xj tube Doors

Thanks for all the comments, I appreciate it.
Oh and as far as stealing my idea, I'm all for it.....thats what I do, get a bunch of ideas and create my own.
I had thought about making them and selling them and I still may. The only problem I would see is the fittment. Seeing as how my front doors had pulled away from the body, which I had to bend back and weld plate, I don't think they are going to be exactly the same as another XJ and I'm pretty sure every Xj will have slightly different alignment issues. It's not that big of a deal if you can move the hinge points, but the way I make them, there is no movement and the pins have to be perfectly aligned to allow them to slide in and out easily.
I'm not saying I wouldn't make them, just would hate to make them and then people have fitment issues.

Anyway,
Here are a few picks of the latch, hinge area and a couple of the rear door that I started yesterday afternoon(they're not that good...I'll get better ones later). I still have to plate it like the front and get the latch welded on, but it went pretty well. I'm still just running flux core on my little 110v lincoln...I need to get some gas, but it's worked well for everything I've built to do....just not the prettiest.
latched2.jpg

latched1.jpg

hinges.jpg

reardoor.jpg

doors.jpg

I really like that design, The latches could use a little prettying up lol.
Time for you to start Fabing and selling Skinned and Open versions.
As far as Alligning them to each XJ ..... Harbor Frieght sells sledge hammers pretty cheap.

I really like that design, The latches could use a little prettying up lol.
Time for you to start Fabing and selling Skinned and Open versions.
As far as Alligning them to each XJ ..... Harbor Frieght sells sledge hammers pretty cheap.

Yeah, hard to weld 1/16" material without just melting it with my welder...and my skill. Nothing a flapper wheel and paint won't take care of though.

What did you use to notch the tubing? The weld joints look good.
4 1/2" angle grinder with a cutoff wheel. I wish I had a metal cutting bandsaw, but the angle grinder works well enough.

WOW! those are awesome when i saw the rears on all i could say was , Those are AWESOME F'N DOORS! I would buy those in a heart beat, and i agree the square tubes totaly match the XJ's body lines, best ive seen, awesome job bro. later

I saw this when you originally posted it the other day and agreed with everything that was said. Now having seen the rear my response is: Those doors are 'tight', very nice. If I ever actually get around to going with tube doors these will be my model. The rear is the one that makes them so impressive.

You should look into just selling a kit. Maybe a DIY type of deal so you don't have to take the hit for improper fitment. Just a thought

It's not that big of a deal if you can move the hinge points, but the way I make them, there is no movement and the pins have to be perfectly aligned to allow them to slide in and out easily.
I'm not saying I wouldn't make them, just would hate to make them and then people have fitment issues.

Bolt the pins on, so they can be rotated some degrees. As there are two hinge points, the doors will sit tight even if each pin is adjustable.

Here are few updated pictures of both doors on the jeep. I still need to weld on the pieces that will support the arm rests and a provision to mount a cup holder for the front....and clean up slag, but other than that they are done. Now I just have to do the other side :lol:

I was thinking about using some UTV side view mirrors or jusat some super cheap auto parts store ones.

tubedoors3.jpg

tubedoors1.jpg

tubedoors2.jpg

rearlatch.jpg

I probably won't paint them until after I use them as templates for the other side and to do the other side requires going back to the steel yard.

Thank ya'll.

Cutting the tube isn't that bad once you get all the angles and lengths figured out(which I use autocad for). It is a little tricky to get them to be square though and line up at all the right angles. Definitely not a quick process though, that is for sure.

I am going to have to cut the top tube of the triangular portion of the rear door off and move it down about 1/2". I had thought it wouldn't bother me that the rear triangle is slightly bigger than the front but it does....oh well, nothing a cuttoff disk won't and some more welding won't fix.

I still am trying to figure out the best way to mount a snubber to the front and back door so they don't rattle. Been looking at a few different ideas, just have to find time to try some of them out.

Those looks awesome! Very nicely done

1998 XJ Sport. 3.5" RE Superflex, 31x11.50x15 Dakota Futura A/T, HP D30 Front & 8.25 Rear, Kargo Master Rack, Cobra 29 WX ST, JCR Stage III Front, JCR T-Case Skid, Front skid, Gas Tank skid, IPF H4 w/ X4 bulbs.

Back