• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

XJ Expedition Trailer

(I know this is an old thread but;) I have been searching all over for this thread. Finally found it. I have to say I'm really not building mine to tackle the type of terrain you take yours on. But I might find my self going for it after all.

Thanks, I keep telling myself to update this thread and my Jeeps build thread. I just never seem to actually get to it.

We haven't done any overlanding trips in a while and mainly use it as a base camp when we get it out these days. I think early on I wanted to prove what it could do and now that we have, we don't feel the need to. It is so much easier to just leave it set up for the week or weekend and venture out in just the Jeep. I would really like to get it out on some overlanding trips where it would see some mild trail duty again and get us to some out of the way camp spots..

It was a fun project that has left us with an awesome base camp, good luck on yours!

So Far It has been built all out of Scrap , I measure cut and clean the parts and they get welded by Chachi .

The First thing we did after I got it home was weld the rear Hatch Off My 01 to cover most of the front hole .

Fronthatchoutside_zps424128b9.jpg

The hatch had been backed into a tree Wheeling and when I replaced the glass the Defrost was Bad , between that and it being dented I replaced it with one I got off Flex at WF .

Hatchonfrontinside_zps125dc659.jpg

I also used some Box tubing I got from the scrap area of where I buy my steel.
it was only $40 for a couple big sticks of it and the only metal I have bought for this so far.
Why can't I see or open the photos??

Why can't I see or open the photos??

Photobucket decided to start charging people for their 3rd party hosting. So, those of us who used their "free" hosting have two choices. We either can start paying and the pictures will become visible, or we don't pay and the result is what you are experiencing. I think Photobucket was shady for what they did, so I stopped supporting them. There are other "free" hosting sites.

Photobucket decided to start charging people for their 3rd party hosting. So, those of us who used their "free" hosting have two choices. We either can start paying and the pictures will become visible, or we don't pay and the result is what you are experiencing. I think Photobucket was shady for what they did, so I stopped supporting them. There are other "free" hosting sites.

Thanks for the explanation. Really wanted to see these photos as I am about to start my own XJ camper trailer.

Just found this work around for photobucket, if you're running Chrome add this extension: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/...-fix/naolkcpnnlofnnghnmfegnfnflicjjgj/related

It works a treat.

To be honest the whole photobucket thing really took the wind out of my sails as far as my build threads are concerned. I have a little but not much to add to the trailer build really, but we've done a ton more on the Jeep. The Chrome extension doesn't seem to be working for me.

Maybe we should be given a window or permanent permission to edit past posts for those that want to fix their threads. There is likely some logistics or traffic issue that makes that a bigger deal than I realize though.

Last edited:
Agreed. I spent a couple of hours one night pulling all of my pics and rehosting them for my build thread. If I didn't have edit privileges it would have been impossible.

Hello, New to the forum. No I do not have an XJ. YET!!! I have been looking around to see what is what. I have narrowed down search to the '97-'01 version. I have been looking at XJ for sale, reading articles, and watching many videos. Dealings with issues at the current time which prevents me moving forward (NO...it is not the wife :looney: I'm single!).

I know others with different vehicles have created a trailer of some kind from another vehicle, and from the XJ as well. The ones I have so far have not really cut the mustard or style I was looking for. Then I thought of the other day to use the back portion of another XJ to be the front of the XJ trailer build. I have not seen that yet. Till now. This is what brought me to this forum.

Even with the current build, I think it will look good and functions in the end. AWESOME!

However, still not the way I would have done it. I had done a quick and dirty drawing on Sketchup but don't know how to upload my drawing. (The NAXJA Forum ask for a URL. Dont have one)

Back