• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

XJ Expedition Trailer

You have a point, old springs will give a lot easier. Newer stiffer ones will move less, but once it's fully loaded you'll start to see the sway come back. You'll still need good shocks and sway bar. I think I read where you added shocks during your trip out west

I have a 90 XJ that was totaled by an insurance company after I was hit from the side so I'm planning on doing this when time permits.:)
Nice build by the way, thanks for sharing.:cheers:

trailer looked good this weekend.

regarding your spring issue, just use stockers and use blocks to adjust the height.
Blocks only suck on driven axles because of the wrap problems.

if you get some MJ spring plates you'll have some nice studs to attach a swaybar directly to the pack.

That trailer needs to be stiffer, flat factory springs wouldn't help that issue. Lift springs with a bigger arch would.

I don't know that blocks would make much of a difference one way or another when it comes to climbing ledges. At least not enough to make a difference.

Re: Re: XJ Expedition Trailer

That trailer needs to be stiffer, flat factory springs wouldn't help that issue. Lift springs with a bigger arch would.

I don't know that blocks would make much of a difference one way or another when it comes to climbing ledges. At least not enough to make a difference.

I agree stiffer spring rate would be better.

Blocks, depending on how big, could certainly make a difference. When I made the above reference my vision was ~3"+ block.

I have new much stiffer leafs sitting in my basement going on soon and better shocks, I bought them for WF but the bushings came too late to get them on before the event.

Also I was going over some of the pics and we got some great ones of this thing in the quarry rock crawling so those will come soon.

I like how they have 9 pictures from the one side of the thing. couldn't you walk the 15 feet to get the other side?

Before I update this Here is a pic I meant to share from the build showing we wired the windows and dome to work!

dome_zpsa4d76d27.jpg

Since the seat is there there has been talk about making a mount for our unused Imac that would make a great media center with tons of storage and a huge screen. But that would be crazy right ?

can you open the hatch with the tent deployed?

If so, I think you should do a flip down from the hatch. Keeps it out of the weather and makes for boss campground showings of The Big Lebowski.

can you open the hatch with the tent deployed?

If so, I think you should do a flip down from the hatch. Keeps it out of the weather and makes for boss campground showings of The Big Lebowski.

The rear hatch only opens, wouldn't be hard to make a mount outside the window on the opposite side of the add on room with a pull out awning over it.
Then you could sit on the xj bench inside with a friend or move to the mount outside and hang with a group!

Something like that is extremely low on my priority list of course being grossly unnecessary. I have however had a great time at some random campsite with music, lazers and a projector w large sheet one time.

Back to the updates!
In an effort to stiffen the rear and raise it about 1/2" we tried Procomp 3-4" leafs and ended up with 6" due to the weight difference. After deciding it was too tall we put new center pins in the old leafs To take it to Winterfest.
With the old leafs it sagged pretty bad loaded down but it wasn't as wobbly with the new Jk shocks we threw on there. By the end of the trip the Leafs had fanned out and rubbed my tire a bit so I will have to add a wrap around the leafs if I use them again.
Before we left we did a little bump stop testing.

that_zpse2a7d798.jpg

I couldn't tip it any farther because of my work bench but with it this far I could grab the roof rack and shake it and it wasn't near the tipping point yet.
Winterfest was a blast as usual and on the first day before we set up camp we took the trailer out in the rock quarry! Unfortunately we found that our front locker was not working but we had fun anyway.
The stair step put both the XJ and the trailer on their rear bumpers!

that3_zps684a24e4.jpg

aww_zps691135ea.jpg

And looked extreme going down.

20140306_111930_zps63e41778.jpg

This may be the most extreme obstacle we did with it.

20140306_112914_zps78576215.jpg

20140306_112919_zpsc04ef6d6.jpg

And back down to go set up camp.

uhoh_zpsca3cf8bf.jpg

I need to get better pics of it all set up at camp next time.

thatrre_zpsec4d840d.jpg

There is a zip out section to get at the trailer door if you want.

20140306_164926_zps8b5c74c5.jpg

This was our first trip out using the lower room and we will likely use it every time now. Our friend put a cot down there and we had tons of room to put our heater on the other side well away from anything.
With the smaller area up top only, I had to really watch our heater and didn't get much sleep in Cold weather. With it sitting out by itself I felt comfortable getting the tent up to temps and running it on low all night giving me the best sleep I have ever gotten at a Winterfest.

We use the Big Buddy heater with a long hose to a full size propane tank and it definitely packs a punch in below freezing temps. It also has a low oxygen and tip sensor that shuts it off making it one of the safer options for heat.
Adventure trailers sells a thermostatically controlled heater that sits outside, it only gives you clean warm air and while it is very safe and neat it is overpriced.

The trailer did great outside of a few minor things. The rear bumper got bent upwards a touch making the hatch harder to open, one rocker got dented and one of the end caps got knocked off again.

After we got it home we swapped in much stiffer Rancho 1.5" leafs with poly bushings. According to our measurements we lost .5" compared to our bastard pack, they are however much stiffer and wont fan out. I may add a 1" shackle someday.
We are gearing up for Naxja's birthday party in Harlan Ky that will be a week of camping in a hot humid area. I am sure we will have some more mods and pics to post after that!

Future electrical mods on my mind are a solar/battery bank to power some of the goodies to come like Fridge/freezer,radio,lights,fans and maybe even a climate control system.
For performance I'm thinking rocker rails, gas tank plumbed with pump,water tank and purifier w heater and shower head. And a tank skid, hitch or bumper to keep the back bumper from bending into the hatch when I drop off ledges.

Last but not least here are a few Vids again.
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=759952034016975&set=vb.100000065558909&type=2&theater
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=759990870679758&set=vb.100000065558909&type=2&theater

My buddies brother filmed and edited this it is NSFW and while I don't mind the music you very well might.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7641pcSeAo

Last edited:
I just noticed I have never mentioned that our tent is a Gran Sabana, the largest model from Tepui Tents.
The first year we had it there was a tornado within a few miles of our campsite and we got some pretty wicked hail too. Our Tepui never thought about failing, falling over or leaking.
If your interested this is a neat video of one in some serious wind: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGTe-zGjdJo#t=13

I will use this thread to share my camping gear too, we use a Camp chef camping oven that has worked well for us. We have made enchilada casserole, boiled a huge pot of chicken noodle soup, and of course made bacon, sausage and eggs. It has done all of those in Below freezing weather a couple times. The only complaint I have is one burner on top doesn't seem to burn as good and they both burn with a hard to see light blue flame. The last time I had the weaker burner blow out a couple times, I may set it up in the rear hatch of the trailer next time for added wind protection.
Having an oven opens up many possibilities for eating at camp that we didn't have before and we love that, it is also small enough that we don't lose much space for it.

Sammatt_zpsf07852b1.jpg

Last edited:
Back