• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

XJ Budget Boost Options

I heard from other people that adding stock leaves yields a better ride than having one harsh/siff aal ? Also for the front wouuld it be better to get grand cherokee v8 coils rather than a spacer ?

pete

jeepsrock said:
I heard from other people that adding stock leaves yields a better ride than having one harsh/siff aal ? Also for the front wouuld it be better to get grand cherokee v8 coils rather than a spacer ?

pete
Rear: What I view as a definite advantage to using leaves from a second set of XJ springs is that they are arched the same as your stock springs, so everything works together. Using just the main leaves will produce about 1-1/4" to 1-1/2". By contrast, Rancho's full-length AAL has more arch than a Cherokee main leaf, is NOT full-length(but is longer than a shorty AAL), and produces 2" to 2-1/2" of lift. BUT ... because the initial arch is more than the other leaves in the pack, it's sort of fighting the other leaves and I feel this is one reason why people report that their AALs sag rather quickly.

I can't tell you how your rig will ride if you add two leaves per side from the donor packs, but I can tell you that with just the added main leaves the ride is very comfortable, and IMHO better than stock. I would expect that adding another leaf would firm things up still more, but I don't think it will be "harsh."

Front: Sure, new coils are better than spacers. Problem numero uno -- you won't know just how much lift to expect, whereas if you toss in a pair of 1-3/4" spacers you know you're going to get 1-3/4" of lift. Problem numero dos is that you can buy spacers for $30 or $35 per pair, and couils are going to cost you $60 to $70 each if you buy new, about half that if you buy used -- which is still twice the cost of spacers.

since its a BB just use spacers which are cheap and work, and use the donor pack you have since you already have it. all you may need now is some spring clamps.

Trackbar @ 2"? No, not really, but anything taller usually requires a relocated axle end or adjustable trackbar.

Back