• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

WJ knockles

polar_jeep_04 said:
so is there a way to tell which is which with out having them side to side?

The Teves are Black and the Akebono's are silver/gray.

XJSpencer said:
Cal. Follow the directions. No problem.

With the 5x5.5 kit and WJ knuckles supposedly I have to machine .230" from -some- surface.. but people dont seem to remember which one. :)

I didnt get directions with my parts, they came off of another rig. I probably just need to dig into it and make it up as I go along.

XJSpencer said:
Really?! Hell mine are silver! Maybe I got Akebono's. I just assumed they were Teves because they fit well and I thought I recalled seeing Teves stamped in them.

What Tracbar bracket did you use? Or did you make that one?

XJSpencer said:

My teves are silver. In fact, I have two pairs that are silver.

cal said:
My teves are silver. In fact, I have two pairs that are silver.

I guess that info I had was wrong.:D I thought I got that from the dealer. Who know what I have then?...I'm pretty sure they're Teves.

Cal. I'm guessing the rotors have to be machined to fit the bigger hub.

edit: I got it off of Car-Part.com

InvLogo.jpg
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular]Caliper[/FONT]

Rear, R.
Rear, L.
Front, Continential Teves (black color), R.
Front, Continential Teves (black color), L.
Front, Akebono (silver color), R.
Front, Akebono (silver color), L.

This service uses Car-Part Interchange
By clicking on "SEARCH" You agree to the Web Site User Agreement.

Last edited:
XJSpencer said:
Cal. I'm guessing the rotors have to be machined to fit the bigger hub.

Yeah I have to figure that out. Some people claim to run re-drilled WJ rotors, others CJ7 rotors. The kit I have has rotors with it, but I dont know which ones. I may just bolt it all up and see what happens - but I hate going into a project unprepared.

the 5x4.5" hub kit is suggested by warn not to use on anything bigger than 32" tires.

The "bigger than 32's" kit is a 5x5.5 bolt pattern.. (which is why i'm installing it). I wouldnt bother if you arent changing bolt patterns.

Since this thread started about "knuckles",might want to consider the Tera-flex.No mods other than steering/trackbar.No spacers/calipers-rotor issues/hub issues/no ball joints/!
004828490%20high%20steer%20knuckle.jpg

Last edited:
I think my rig stopped better with stock XJ brakes than it does with WJ brakes - once I put a WJ master/booster in.

cal said:
the 5x4.5" hub kit is suggested by warn not to use on anything bigger than 32" tires.

The "bigger than 32's" kit is a 5x5.5 bolt pattern.. (which is why i'm installing it). I wouldnt bother if you arent changing bolt patterns.

So what was your prime reason to adding the hubs? Just to change the bolt pattern? Seems awefully pricey for just that...

lowrange2 said:
But then you still have crappy brakes for the same prices as 2 knuckles, 2 calipers and discs. Just not my cup-o-tea
Like I said,this thread started about knuckles only,so I was leading to a OTK steering suggestion only!
No other mods required.

RCP Phx said:
Like I sais,this thread started about knuckles only,so I was leading to a OTK steering suggestion only!
No other mods required.

I got ya.

As far as the stock brakes working better. My WJ brakes work WAY better!

lowrange2 said:
So what was your prime reason to adding the hubs? Just to change the bolt pattern? Seems awefully pricey for just that...

Not pricey at all. I bought a set of champion beadlocks from a friend, and he threw in the 5x5.5 hub kit free - had it sitting around from his old dana 30.

Locking hub kit.

Right now I run year 2000+ 30 spline TJ unit bearings with alloy usa 30 spline stubs.

I'll be going to the warn 5x5.5 locking hub kit, 30 spline. I like the idea of locking hubs, but I'm more interested in the change in bolt pattern.

Back