• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Winter Project - 2008

sorry to hear that :bawl: . vids look sweet though. good luck with the fix!

Frank Z said:
Build it
Wheel it
Break it
Fix it

:cheers: besides, it's just a good excuse for some high lift cams hehe. anyway, how'd the rock rail hold up in moab? mine are rusted out real bad, so i'm gonna be doing some fabbing this summer... just wanted to see how your mounting style held up. i've been looking for a while and i like the design you went with the best so far.

good to know. i don't have a welder and have never welded yet, but it's as good a time to learn as any. prolly won't get it done till july/august but such is life... kind of off topic, but what kind of welder do you use and what's your thoughts on the lincoln power mig 140 as a first welder and if i never really intend to need to weld thicker than 1/4"?

On Board Air is done less a little wiring cleanup.
WinterProject066.jpg

WinterProject067.jpg

WinterProject068.jpg

WinterProject.jpg

After getting it done Deb and I timed how long it took to air up 1 tire (35") from 15psi to 30 psi....1.5 minutes.:D

Man that system looks pretty clean, with a yellow top optima no less!! Could you tell if moving your intake robbed any clean cold air?
Nice, coupler out the gas tank filler area. Did you consider putting the tank directly below that area? Check out ericsxj.com for where specifically but where he put it is where I'm thinking would be awesome!

I had this wild idea to do a dual battery setup and move the batteries to the little cargo cubby in the storage area (where ppl put a sub woofer). Obviously I'd have to make a nice little area but...I dunno, what do you think. I was maybe thinking of raising the inner fender wells to fit bigger tires.

Yeah I'm in the HVAC biz.

No tube bumpers, just some tube on the fenders.

These are my second set of longarms. I measured, cut, and welded as I went along. I built enough adjustability into the arms (upper and lower) to allow for proper axle positioning and caster adjustment.

Secert to welding thin body panels to 16ga steel? I wish i knew. I had a bitch of a time! i turned the welder to the coldest setting and extremely slow speed and I still managed to burn through the body. The welds look like crap up close. When i get back from Moab I'm going to spend some quality time with the heep and a grinder. I know I can do better.

Removing the old sliders and installing the new rocker-sliders gave me 2" of additional clearance.

From what i've heard the secret to welding a thin metal to a thicker metal is to focus the heat of the weld on the thicker metal side and "walking" it over to the thinner stuff...i'm no expert but everyone has their two cents right. hope that info proves to be helpful. seeing what you've done with your heep has inspired me to do the same. out of curiosity, are you still running the stock 30/35 diffs with 35's?

From what i've heard the secret to welding a thin metal to a thicker metal is to focus the heat of the weld on the thicker metal side and "walking" it over to the thinner stuff...

it helps to use thinner mig wire as well. try using .023" or .030" wire. :cheers:

Back