• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Winch bumper attempt.

lowrange2 said:
Sweet. I'll be waitin for pictures. I just did'nt want to cut my grille.
Its my trail rig,but I plan(I hope) to make the grille looking even better being "frenched" in! Im going to cut out most of the ribs and cover the whole thing with wire mesh(paintes black of course).I even built my own receiver to gain that extra 1/4"!!!!

1599682868_be54304c67_o.jpg
1641586736_0b06b12338_o.jpg

Looks good from here. I like how you tweaked the original drawings. I know that anything I build is subject to mid project revisions. Well done sir. Here's a shot of mine. Check out the rock rails too.
1640713113_0dd46dba5a_o.jpg
1888372761_f633e8f8af_o.jpg

Wow, I mixed that up pretty good but you get my drift. How about some $14 diff. guards.
1599683010_daa6ec5af3_o.jpg

Thank God my fabbing comes out better than my posts.

I like the looks of those rockers, but I can't help but think they would not "glide" over the rocks very well, but end up catching them and acting as anchors with all of those vertical faces.

Here is a couple of pictures of the bumper I made for slaying deer (6 so far without damage). It could use a splash guard to so when you hit one at 65mph it's not so messy thou... The top bumper tube is 2"x2" tube. The winch tray sits down 2" below the bumper tube. I was built so a Warn 9500 winch will fit with some room to spare. It has the same angle as a front skid does and they line up perfectly. I can use it to slide up rocks or most cars no problem. I know its different then what you have in mind but I thought it might give you an idea or two. Maybe one of these days I'll be able to afford a winch...

side view on XJ
Picture20008.jpg

front view on MJ
MJ005.jpg

lowrange2 said:
You love showing that thing off don't ya?

Yea I've posted it a bunch.!!!1 It kinda has the look of a guard on a football helmet.:laugh:

I just wanted to show how the approach angle can come out and explain how I chose the angle.

I actually building a different bumper for my MJ that will have even better clearance.

I'll probably sell this one to a friend that wants it.

goodburbon said:
I like the looks of those rockers, but I can't help but think they would not "glide" over the rocks very well, but end up catching them and acting as anchors with all of those vertical faces.

I haven't had that happen yet but it is possible. At the first sign of that happening they will get modified. My original thought on putting that many verticals was to help prevent the head of a HighLift from sliding laterally if jacking against them and to keep stuff from getting wedged in between the rails and rocker panel. If you have ever seen a HighLift get spit out from under a shifting vehicle you know you don't want it happening. They are a great tool but can be very dangerous. Overkill no doubt but they are Gorilla strong and the added weight is negligible. We shall see.
Hmmmmm, Goodburbon huh. JD Single Barrel is a good one but I have to confess to being a TaKillYa man. A bottle of El Tesoro Anejo and/or Plata always puts a smile on my face.

cloudedjudgement said:
NOOB Question!! But where can I get a set of these. Searched the net and got nothing. Thank you and sorry

If your still looking for a set contact them via thor4x4.com. That was the passenger side bracket and an earlier design I believe because mine have alot more holes and tie in the steering box on the drivers side.

-Alex

lowrange2 said:
Copyrighted! :) Skychi can send ya some DXFs maybe.

I'll gladly share the drawings that I have with anyone interested. Like Lowrange2 said they will be in DXF Format. Without a CAD program or some other DXF reading software they won't be much good to you. They are pretty simplistic but can be used to cut individual components for the design using a CNC burning table. They are by no means a complete set of blueprints to build the bumper and neither of the bumpers that Lowrange2 and I built follow them completely. WOW that was a mouthfull. All that I would ask is that no one try to profiteer from them. Feel free to share then Lowrange2. No Bubbles, no troubles.

Back