• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Winch bumper attempt.

Need more pics from different angles!

ok Here's some fresh pics after I beat it up last week.

DSC05673.jpg

DSC05671.jpg

DSC05670.jpg

DSC05669.jpg

DSC05668.jpg

DSC05667.jpg

DSC05666.jpg

Good stuff. Looks well made with attention to detail. How much time/money did it cost to make?

Eh, I don't really know about how much time since I worked on it an hour at the time every now and then over about 3 months time.

I spent $52.39.

If I was to do it again I wouldn't have made the winch sit to low so I could raise up the bottom of the winch another 2 inches. It still has a great approach angle but it could be better.

lowrange2 said:
If I was to do it again I wouldn't have made the winch sit to low so I could raise up the bottom of the winch another 2 inches. It still has a great approach angle but it could be better.

I looks real good for a first bumper. Goods job.:greensmok

Here is what I would do for that style of bumper.
I would have mounted the winch 2" below the top of the bumper. Then have used 2" tube that tapered back from the winch tray for the bumper top. It would taper it steeply the bottom of the tube to the crossmember under the radiator and taper it up so the corners were only 2" wide.
I would use a hawse fairlead and rope instead of cable. It would help the approach angle and increase winch safetly.
Adding a couple of recesesed D-ring mounts would be a nice finishing touch.

A nice stinger would look nice on it.

Now that you have built the bumper you could always sell it and make enough money to build a redesigned one. That way you could make it exactly how you would want it.

I find myself building things and selling them so I can build my latest greatest design. Sometimes I just cut it them up for reuse also.

Ha.

That's exactly what I have been thinking. If you take you time and make something decent you can always sell it and make something new.

Yes, a simple, short stinger/pushbar type thing is in order and as soon as I have money for a hawse fairlead and rope it'll be on order. I'm going to get the DOM to make my stinger in the morning. I also have some shackle tabs for it.I just haven't mounted them yet. I use the reciever with a shackle mount in it if I need recovering.

PS: I bent my fairlead back pushing a Mavric turd on 150 running gear. lol

CanMan said:
THOR armor makes front bumper brackets that have a hole provision for an Antirock setup.

They are these ones.

e7c85d7f.jpg

NOOB Question!! But where can I get a set of these. Searched the net and got nothing. Thank you and sorry

Ukraine Train's are a lot better and I imagine he can beat their price but I'm not sure. He's a member on here. Go thru him and I promise you won't be displeased.

Edit: Unless of course you plan to add an anti-rock system. Which I'm sure Alex would add for ya.

How about actual numbers,it look at least 8" tall?How far does it stick out from the grille?

7.5" from top to bottom and 7" from the grille out to the front.

Like I said earlier If i were to do it again I would move the winch plate up about 2"s and bring the bottom up with it. Making it only about 5 inchs from top to bottom.

lowrange2 said:
7.5" from top to bottom and 7" from the grille out to the front.

Like I said earlier If i were to do it again I would move the winch plate up about 2"s and bring the bottom up with it. Making it only about 5 inchs from top to bottom.
Yeah thats about right.The one Im working on is 5"x6" and tapering to 3-1/2" at the returns,the 6" height just matches the framerails!

I'm definitly planning another one... a little more approach angle friendly.

Are you cutting the grille to get that 5 inchs? My winch barely fit with 7 inches.

lowrange2 said:
I'm definitly planning another one... a little more approach angle friendly.

Are you cutting the grille to get that 5 inchs? My winch barely fit with 7 inches.
Yeap,just left enough room for a trans cooler! It's got 3 compound anlges(very similar to proto fabs),should have some pics soon!

Back