• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Why stock wheels are better

Im running a 3.5" with 33x12.50's on ravines and have no LCA rub and it tucks the 33 nicely with minor trimming

15x8 steelies are the problem. They all seem to have 4.25" backspacing max, so you already have the tire sticking 1.25" out from stock. Then add 0.5" for the extra 1" width, and you're at 1.75".

These are the only aluminum Jeep wheels I like, but they aren't easy to find.
5wwe92.jpg

http://www.finishlinewheels.com/JEEP/CHEROKEE/1991/

I have a set of both, and the price is right, haha. :eyes:

Wow I love those Wagoneer rims! and I also love the fact that those rims say JEEP. did any other factory jeep rim say that (besides center caps of course)

go1lum--I didn't even know they made 33" street tires

and XJ9140-----HOW DID YOU DO THAT! 14.50's on 8 wides! loose beads much?

Wow I love those Wagoneer rims! and I also love the fact that those rims say JEEP. did any other factory jeep rim say that (besides center caps of course)

:doh: They where not street tires. Why would I wheel with street tires. :laugh:
http://www.lentzweb.com/lentz_tire/summit/tcct.htm I was running those. One of the best tires I have ever ran. I got all four of mine for 60 bucks and they had 85% tread. I got the homie discount. Mine where studded and where some snow eating machines. I climbed some hills in about 3-4' of snow that other rigs can't even make in the summer.

Last edited:
wow thats a great deal. well i guess every tire eventually becomes a "street tire". looks like you got some good use out of em. sometimes the cheap generic tires work really well.

winkosmosis: "You can tuck a 31x10.5 tire. Who needs bumpstop extensions and trimming??"

I do with my 31's and stock wheels. I did the hockey puck thing to keep my new ome shocks from overcompressing and to keep from having to trim.

EJID...every jeep is different.

I still have my stock shocks. Not sure how much they limit downtravel. I wonder if getting the 2" lift OME shocks would reduce my usable uptravel, because I'd rather have up than down.

15x8 steelies are the problem. They all seem to have 4.25" backspacing max, so you already have the tire sticking 1.25" out from stock. Then add 0.5" for the extra 1" width, and you're at 1.75".

These are the only aluminum Jeep wheels I like, but they aren't easy to find.
5wwe92.jpg

http://www.finishlinewheels.com/JEEP/CHEROKEE/1991/
The wheel on the right is my favorite stock wheel. They just look good on a cherokee!

I still have my stock shocks. Not sure how much they limit downtravel. I wonder if getting the 2" lift OME shocks would reduce my usable uptravel, because I'd rather have up than down.

Your stock shocks probably give you about 2 inches less down travel and perhaps about 1 inch more up travel than the OME's for 2 inch lifts. Its hard to say for sure regarding the up travel because some excess compression is probably built into shocks beyond what the suspension provides.

Had to use spacers, the rims are 15x7's, its a cheep alternative to bead locks.

I dont get why people run stock Sport silver rims. I just think they look bad. I feel like you can get stock alloys anywhere because no one wants 15X7's. Like that Blue xj running the skinny SSR's, those tires look killer, but picture some graphite grizzlies! and 15x8 black steelies are like $40, even cheaper if you have them mounted with tires and shipped from summit, etc.

again, to each your own :) , just something thats been on my mind.

15x8 steelies would limit the ability to stuff or, require extensive trim in the rear, which would then require welding in new material to fill the void left by the trim. They would also require additional triming up front that would remove the fender lip... then, you'd have a lip out back and none up front.
Not to my liking.
15x8's would not hold a bead as well as a 15x7 when running a 10.5" wide tire.
and, I've yet to see an affordable wheel that protects the valve stem anywhere close to as well as the stock 5 star steelies.

I'm not going to get into the whole contact patch "shape" explanation that most seem unwilling to understand when discussing 33x12.50's vs 33x10.5's... lets just say I prefer the 10.50.

Those are my reasons.
I'm not trying to convince you, but you said you didn't understand regarding my rig... so, now you do... :).

and... "to each their own" ... cheers on that.

Back