• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Why stock wheels are better

33x10.50's on stock wheels...
044.jpg

045.jpg

Thing I like most about the stock steel 5 blade wheels is the valve stem is covered/proctected.

My 31s rubbed the LCA when I turned, so I cant agree about the stock XJ wheels but I can say with the Rubi wheels and 245/75/16s I had no rubbing at all.

Mine rubbed on the LCAs too, so I extended the steering stops. You lose a little turning circle, but at least you don't rub in other places.

no flex shots yet but i just got these bad boys today =D they are some bfg a/t 33 10.50's i couldnt beat the price of 149 a tire... and 12 for road hazard...

IMG_0082.jpg

Better in this case is rather subjective.

I've ran mine both ways and prefer the additional offset.

I was surprised to see that with 315/75/16 on my Rubi wheels it barely rubs on the LCA I think the offset of Rubi wheels are perfect for like 30-32" tires even a narrow 33 would work too.

lol the LCA rubbing is an easy fix... its the blasted pinch seam behind the front tire that's killing me!

no flex shots yet but i just got these bad boys today =D they are some bfg a/t 33 10.50's i couldnt beat the price of 149 a tire... and 12 for road hazard...

IMG_0082.jpg

Nice look. What are the specs on your lift? Size, etc...

I just did 4.5 on my '98 and I'd like to run 33x10.5's with out a TON of trimming. I don't mind trimming up front but I don't want to get carried away in the rear.

The stock 5 spoke wheels look good.

im just going to treat it just like my rear fenders... cut it in sections and fold it over, i took it out to a dirt mound to see if it would rub... and sure enough, the pinch seam tried to eat my tire lol

Nice look. What are the specs on your lift? Size, etc...

I just did 4.5 on my '98 and I'd like to run 33x10.5's with out a TON of trimming. I don't mind trimming up front but I don't want to get carried away in the rear.

The stock 5 spoke wheels look good.

im running some RE 4.5" coils up front, (or at least thats what im told they are) then i got some dakota leafs out back which netted me 4 inches as well stock shackles some tomken LCA's(old school lca's) and pro comp es3000 shocks. as for trimming i did the typical trimming everyone does in the rear and for the fronts all i did was traced around my stock flares and cut them with a body saw and used some door trim to cover up the sharp part around the fender, i put a pool noodle inside my fender well to help brace the fender in place cuz it tends to flex alot from lack of support

like i posted earlier i went and flexed on a hill and had no problems stuffing the rear into the fender well, as for the front it did just fine until i hit the pinch seam lol. i will update my flex pictures more after next weekends desert trip =)

I dont get why people run stock Sport silver rims. I just think they look bad. I feel like you can get stock alloys anywhere because no one wants 15X7's. Like that Blue xj running the skinny SSR's, those tires look killer, but picture some graphite grizzlies! and 15x8 black steelies are like $40, even cheaper if you have them mounted with tires and shipped from summit, etc.

again, to each your own :) , just something thats been on my mind.

I dont get why people run stock Sport silver rims. I just think they look bad. I feel like you can get stock alloys anywhere because no one wants 15X7's. Like that Blue xj running the skinny SSR's, those tires look killer, but picture some graphite grizzlies! and 15x8 black steelies are like $40, even cheaper if you have them mounted with tires and shipped from summit, etc.

i run stock sport wheel because i can afford the tires but not the extra 200 for the wheels yet, plus the backspacing allows me to tuck tire as to where most others dont... but like you said to each their own, i've seen people run those gold lookin mesh stockers that i think look horrid

Nope no problem backing out. Forward was a problem though. No thanks to running open open at the time and the fact that the front tire was actually coming off the ground in the pics. :wave1: I ended up removing and giving away the stock front skid. I found that in the mud it acted to much like a plow or scoop when trying to back out of the mud and left me stuck a few times though.

Last edited:
Nope no problem backing out. Forward was a problem though. No thanks to running open open at the time and the fact that the front tire was actually coming off the ground in the pics. :wave1: I ended up removing and giving away the stock front skid. I found that in the mud it acted to much like a plow or scoop when trying to back out of the mud and left me stuck a few times though.

hey i have the opportunity to get a front skid similar to that one... where else does it bolt up to besides the 2 anti sway bar mounts??

Can't remember exactly. For sure on the sway bar mount though and maybe 1 more bolt on each side. Sorry bud with I could remember for sure. Maybe try to google a picture of it.

15x8 steelies are the problem. They all seem to have 4.25" backspacing max, so you already have the tire sticking 1.25" out from stock. Then add 0.5" for the extra 1" width, and you're at 1.75".

These are the only aluminum Jeep wheels I like, but they aren't easy to find.
5wwe92.jpg

http://www.finishlinewheels.com/JEEP/CHEROKEE/1991/

Back