• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Why I won't be doing any wheeling this year.

Here's a photo that didn't make it into the book:

pr03.jpg

that steering view is one of the best locations to put a go pro i have seen yet

Eric, what process did you use to narrow the rear? Did you cut it and press the tube out? Or have someone do it for you? Alignment bar?

Just picked up a 96 dana60-isu, and thinking about putting together a slow build plan, and the first step is centering the diff. I haven't measured/researched it yet but it looks like about 5". Do you recall how much you shortened it?

Eric, what process did you use to narrow the rear? Did you cut it and press the tube out? Or have someone do it for you? Alignment bar?

Just picked up a 96 dana60-isu, and thinking about putting together a slow build plan, and the first step is centering the diff. I haven't measured/researched it yet but it looks like about 5". Do you recall how much you shortened it?

:rtm: Like blenny said, I have very detailed info in the book on how I narrowed that axle. You can get it here at Amazon for less than $18. I also show how I made an alignment bar for that job.

blenny said:
... Helped me a lot in my planning
:thumbup:

Last edited:
:rtm: Like blenny said, I have very detailed info in the book on how I narrowed that axle. You can get it here at Amazon for less than $18. I also show how I made an alignment bar for that job.

:thumbup:

I have your book, I just don't know where my 2 year old garage helper hid it. I'll see if I can scrounge it up, didn't remember the axle narrowing being in there!

Yep that's the one I have. I know I've seen it, but wasn't a part I'd considered for my build until a d60 1su fell into my lap. Trying to decide if I want to narrow it at all, so maybe I don't have to narrow the front. Those hubs stick out pretty far, but this jeep is hardly street driven

67" is pretty wide for a rear axle.... too wide IMO if you aren't running a full-width 60 up front.

If I had to do it all over again I wouldn't change a thing with mine. Width, upgraded shafts, brakes, everything turned out perfect. I really like this axle.

67" is pretty wide for a rear axle.... too wide IMO if you aren't running a full-width 60 up front.

If I had to do it all over again I wouldn't change a thing with mine. Width, upgraded shafts, brakes, everything turned out perfect. I really like this axle.

Yeah I'm thinking I would like it narrrowed, maybe an inch or two wider than stock. But like I said I'll probably settle on whatever centers the diff/equal length shafts.

It won't be going in until I build a front axle, whenever that is. I dont have the skills to narrow it myself, but I think we have a few builders around here who could do it. Chris Durham lives up the road a ways. I think the narrower track would help the streetability and also allow me to run a larger backspace to suck the hubs in a little more. Not that they are particularly vulnerable given their beef.

Yeah I'm thinking I would like it narrrowed, maybe an inch or two wider than stock. But like I said I'll probably settle on whatever centers the diff/equal length shafts.

It won't be going in until I build a front axle, whenever that is. I dont have the skills to narrow it myself,
If you have decent welding skills you can narrow this axle by following the how-to I have in the book. Its easy!

I think the narrower track would help the streetability and also allow me to run a larger backspace to suck the hubs in a little more. Not that they are particularly vulnerable given their beef.
Agreed! Using wheels with less backspace will help protect the hubs. But you are right, they are beefy. Mostly, the less backspace on the wheels will be more of a help with the hubs up front, if you plan on having any.

Back