• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Which black steelies?

Which black steelies are best?

• AR 767 15x8 4 inch Backspace 5 on 4.5

Votes: 45 26.3%
  • Cragar 397 15x8 4 inch backspace 5 on 4.5

Votes: 86 50.3%
  • cragar 342 15x8 4 inch backspace 5 on 4.5

Votes: 8 4.7%
  • other black steelies??

Votes: 32 18.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I just picked up Unique Wheels 297...they're identical to the Cragar 397...and since the Unique Wheels site has links to the Cragar wheel link I'm thinking they're the same rim. But they were cheaper than the Cragar's.

Dylan90xj said:
I just picked up Unique Wheels 297...they're identical to the Cragar 397...and since the Unique Wheels site has links to the Cragar wheel link I'm thinking they're the same rim. But they were cheaper than the Cragar's.
I think that's what I have too. I got them mounted with a set of 4 Michelin 235s (slightly used, like 50 miles on em) for $400. I love my wheels. New, I think the wheels were $42 at Discount Tire.

XJBill said:
I like the Cragar 397's myself. I like the round holes better. I can see these rims taking over the "D" style holes. For one, they are ALL black with no red and blue stripe around it and the round holes just look beefier and better then the "wagon wheel" look of the other ones.

Nice

I had a guy at a tire store quote me 79.00 (no center cap, no nothing) each for off brand black wheels (steel) I asked if they were AR. He said nope, AR would cost more. Is this a good deal....haha? I know I will never shop them again. The quote was like 500.00+ for the wheels, caps, and mount and balance. How can these people stay in business?

Root Moose said:
You have a picture from the front? How far under the flare or stickiing out are the tires is what I would like to see.

r@m
These should give you an idea of what 5.0 BS looks like. Keep in mind my tires are 245/75/16's which are a 31x9.50. BS of 4.5 might be a better choice for 31x10.50's or 32x11.50's.
sigxj.jpg

9.jpg

1.jpg

2.jpg

Quadratec has the 397's dirt cheap.

Last edited:
Hey alaska did you order the rings or wheels cause your link is for the rings.
I just ordered Crager street lock wheels 15x8 with 4.75 bs for my Rig from summit for 325.00 shipped, does any one know if the us wheel beadlock rings will fit these? Thinking of doing a set in yellow to match the XJ.Sorry dont mean to steal your thread dude.

So if I go from factory Grizzly alloys to steel 397's, can I use the same lug nuts or do I need to buy different ones????????
Timbo

Should be able to use your factory lugnuts but they there are a capped nut
and would not hold up as well as a solid aftermarket nut.

15x8 for the tires you're currently running-- to wide (if you plan to wheel em much, you could easily pop a bead @ low psi)

& if you choose a brand (like BFG) select 33s from then you could have an option to choose either a 33x12.5 OR 33x10.5, in the case of the later a 15x7 will work best for both your current tires and the new ones..

J98cherokee said:
on a 98 cherokee is the 5 on 4.5" pattern the right one
Not just on a '98 - 5 on 4.5" was the only option from 84 through 01... stock backspace was 5.25"

I have the cragar 397s with the pin stripes, will the acetone take off the stripes no problem without it ruining the black? its probably a stupid question i dont want to have a discolored wheel, also id go for the cragar 397s they are really sweet wheels!

Yes, the acetone will remove the pinstripes w/o harming the black paint. Then you can put some in your gas tank. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back