• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What's the difference?? Any (Heads)

AboveNBeyond said:
So this is good no?

Would it not be a higher HP motor then the 89 Renix motor?

Depends on who you talk to ;)

This is the information we have collected:

You had a 89 and a 96

Engine wise, you had the 96 swapped into the 89.

Whoever did the swap used the 96's head and block, but used the 89's Intake / Intake manifold, and exhaust manifold... and somehow made them fit..

You have the better flowing head from the 96 so thats good, however i would argue that the 89's block is better than the 96's .. but thats more in strength than anything else.

Now since your using the exhaust manifold and intake manifold from the 89, thats your downfall. They are also poor flowing compared to the 91-96's.

If it was mine i would attempt to swap to the 2000 intake \ intake manifold and the 91-96 exhaust manifold... That would be a good thing in your case. However, you dont really know what the installer did... especially now that you know they had to make some modifications to make the 89's intake and exhaust bolt up to the 96 head.

Since it doesnt really sound like your mechanically inclined, (im really not trying to be a dick) then if it needs a replacement exhaust just replace it with another RENIX manifold..... BUT there is also one thing to consider here also. What did they do to make the exhaust fit on that 7120 head?? Would the same have to be done to the replacement that you get (probably)...

Another thing to consider is that your doing double duty with reguards to your EGR valve. The 91's were redesigned to eliminate the EGR from the system (had alot to do with the cam grind). Now that you have a 96 in there (with that 96 cam) Your EGR valve could be really hindering you.

Last edited:
Back