• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Diagnosing this sound - rear wheel bearing?

bradleyheathhays

NAXJA Forum User
96 XJ here. A sound is coming from my driver side rear wheel area that started as what sounded like maybe a rock in the tread, small repeating tick the same frequency as wheel rotation, and now has developed into a more aggressive rubbing sound. Suspecting a bad bearing, I did the hard left turn right turn test while going down a wide straight road but didn't hear anything definitive. What I have noticed, though, is that the sound doesn't happen at all when I'm accelerating even a little, but only happens when I'm coasting and braking. I was able to diagnose it as definitely coming from my driver's side rear when I had my buddy drive and I stuck my head out each of the back side windows.

Is there any part other than a wheel bearing that makes this kind of sound when it goes bad? Because something is definitely going bad.

What diagnostics and inspection have your performed with the tire and brake drum removed ?

Back