• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What was done to YOUR rig(XJ/MJ) today MECHANICALY????

Well after you get it running, seems like you may have all the bugs worked out. :dunno:
feels like there is always "something next" to break on this thing for me.

ive owned it almost a year, including the cost of the jeep im around 8k into it. ive driven it a hair over 400 miles since purchase.

its cost me 20 dollars a mile to own so far... not exactly confidence inspiring haha.

Awesome! Lol. You've done a lot more to yours than I have to mine. Got it back in late Feb almost $2k in it counting tag and insurance. So at just over 3000 miles I am around .80 cents a mile. Planning on a lift and mud tires soon so that should jump the cost up. Plus mine is uglier than yours.

Got the remains of the 89 jeep home :sunshine:. The ride home for her was too humiliating, oh the horror of it, to be towed home by a FORD, :( LOL.

Good news is the white 4x4 Renix gas tank and fuel pump/assy replacement was finished and she fired right up, runs great lots of power, she lives!! Had to get it finished to move her to make room for mash team spot for the now beat to hell 89. Is there a market for a pre-rolled rock crawler wanna be? LOL

Last edited:
I do not think I have put more than $3000 into my 85 Diesel that gets 34 mpgs, since I bought in 2003. That includes what I paid for it. Put about 80,000 miles on it in 13 years. Saved me a fortune on 75 mile daily trips in 2006-08.

Got the rest of the welding done, swaybar brackets and lca mounts

Next up, painting and ball joints, then time to put it in

Replaced the DD starter beast on my 85 diesel jeep today

and drained the last 7 gallons of gas out of the crushed beat to hell gas tank on the 89 that was rolled Sunday.

Just got word my son was rear ended by another car (We not aware there was any other car involved), the guy must have been doing 90 when he hit my son doing under 60 on the freeway to do all that rear end damage he did, and he wants to claim it was my sons fault. Give me a break. I may try to post photos later. We hired an attorney.

Pulled the busted windshield off and trashed it, and covered the entire jeep for now. Got the hood up and pulled the still good/OK battery out (about 1 YO). Pulled on rear tire off, flat busted rim bit the new tire looks OK. One other tire/rim swapped onto my Wagoneer, it needed a new tire right away. Saved $100 there.

Turn back your clock one hour in the morning.

Checked to see if my TREs are bad...they seem to have some movement in them. The one on the passenger side seems to move up and down. So this may be some of my problem with my DW i've had for a while. I have the ZJ setup but bought it used.

My 87 Renix Wagoneer is getting its first used working knock sensor since I bought it 10-12 years ago, thanks to Cruiser54 today. Be interesting to see if anything changes.

White 4x4 XJ with the new gas pump and tank got an oil change today. Need to order K&N filters, was out....

Saturn is getting rear drum brake work done today if all goes well.

Diesel 85 XJ battery is finally recharged and the new starter got installed yesterday. Old one seems to have a burned contact on the solenoid valve, hoping the starter windings were not damaged. Will have a local shop work it over and test it out this year for a spare. The starter mine uses is no longer available. Bought the last two 10 years ago, LOL.

i popped the VC on the XJ this weekend. cyl 3 exhaust valve looks like its stuck open. its not returning fully to the close position. that rocker is loose because of it. its sitting about an 1/8in lower than the rest of the spring retainers.

but the springs all look new so i am going to call teh shop that the car was at before i bought it and see what exactly they did because they said they swapped the head.

wanted to do this last week or one night this week but ive been trashing with my buddy to get his 3000gt VR4 running again before his wedding this coming weekend. cool car but a pain to work on. we spent the majority of the day yesterday trying to get it started. finally had to bail around 7p to make dinner (was my turn) and he got it started around midnight. half tempted to bail out of work early today and use a vacation day to go help him button the rest of it up.

Last edited:

Got these things today, sprayed some pb blaster on everything and will continue for the next week till I get everything else I think I need then a couple inches higher she will go. Was going to go four, but not sure that I am going to run more than a 31 anyway...

Yep that is what I have heard...why I started soaking them already with pb blaster. I sure hope it helps. Of course this thing being a suburban warrior sure has helped on a lot of the things I have already fixed. Completely different than my wife's Armada that grew up north...nightmares are made of cars like it.

i was so close to buying a loaded 4x4 05 yukon with 80k miles a couple years ago. until i got it on the lift at my buddies shop and saw the rusty undercarriage.

after talking to the owner she lived in pennsylvania which is where she bought the yukon and drove it to texas. wasnt about to deal with that nonsense. i lowballed the hell out of them but they didnt take it so o well.

i like my 05 tahoe a ton. its been great and only has 75k miles on it. we bought it in 14 with 54k.

Crap! So the plan was 2" of lift shackles I already bought, and some cheap 2" spacers then... I asked on a local xj site where to grab 2" spacers local. Low and behold a guy had 5.5" springs, he is going coil overs, $40 better and as cheap as spacers! Cool oh how about a sye installed on a good tc already, cool and a driveshaft! Damn it! What the heck I was just going small! Now bpe's shocks and 3" more of rear lift! Crap! Guess I better order some adjustable control arms! Well $240 in the lift kit already...what's another few bills

I had 3 flat tires this week. Two on the jeep. One was fixable, sidewall cracked on another and unfixable. Got an idle problem that im chasing, its throwing an IAC code and that hasnt fixed it yet. Wiring checked out and my junkyard ECU created a massive misfire... still after it....

I had 3 flat tires this week. Two on the jeep. One was fixable, sidewall cracked on another and unfixable. Got an idle problem that im chasing, its throwing an IAC code and that hasnt fixed it yet. Wiring checked out and my junkyard ECU created a massive misfire... still after it....

What year?

Trying to sort out a caliper-rotor front brake knock sound on mine that has gotten worse after it broke the 4th anti rattle clip on the top side in 4-6 months and I decided to not install a new one this time. It was quitter with out the broken rattle clip at first but now is very noisy during a slow stop, knock, knock, knock.

No noise on fast stops,.

No noise when not braking, and no noise when braking at higher speeds, like on the freeway.

Rotor, caliper bolts, and pads are all new, and the calipers are factory rebuilt. I do get some brake peddle feedback pulse feel when I first brake at freeway speeds. Front axle shaft bearings feel and act good.

Any thoughts???

Back