• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Want Opinion on Axle Locker Combination

it pains me.

Just listen to Cal.
put a late model 8.25 in it and be done.
Grab the axle and it's driveshaft from the junkyard.
Don't spend money on a 35, ever. I stripped a ring gear shifting from 1st to 2nd on pavement.

Years ago I talked with one of the Currie brothers because I thought my 35 was a POS. I was going to pick up one of their reverse cut D44s and feel confident everywhere. He asked me what size tires I was running, if I was going to be lead footing runs, and what I did in the way of wheeling. I told him 32 or 33 inch tires, no I'm not a lead foot, and my most difficult runs were Dusy-Ershim, Rubicon, Pinion Mountain, and Smugglers Cave stuff. I wouldn't be doing the Hammers. He told me my D35 rear and D30 front were plenty strong even though it meant not selling me an expensive piece of gear. I have a 98 with the Chrys 8.25 now, but in 10 years of wheeling with the D35 I never had any trouble.

About auto lockers in the rear. If you're on a wet muddy side slope your auto locker will kick in and the rear end will end up sliding to the low end of the slope. After it happened to me twice I dumped the Detroit and went to ARB front and rear. At least one tire has a chance of maintaining traction.

^THIS^

You're running 32" tires. D35s break from locking them and putting 35s on. I wouldn't change a rear axle for 32" tires. Lock the front if you're worried about it

^THIS^

You're running 32" tires. D35s break from locking them and putting 35s on. I wouldn't change a rear axle for 32" tires. Lock the front if you're worried about it

but you're wrong :)

^THIS^

hahahahhahhaaaaaaa

*breath*

Hahhahhhahhahhahhaaaaaaaa

no.
they break from wet noodle axle tubes that get tweaked by minor wheeling, or as I posted, they eat a ring gear on a basic 1-2 upshift while turning left at a stoplight, on 31's. That was the third D35 that I lunched on 31's.
and since the OP's original question was about putting a locker in the rear, your point is invalid, because he's gonna lock it. Then it's going to break.

spend no money on a D35.

running a 8.8 w/ a OX myself, NEVER had any problems w/ the OX - just make sure you route the cable away from the exhaust and you should be good to go.:sunshine: - DO NOT spend any money on the 35 ( i blew 2 of them on very mild wheeling on 31's)

Last edited:
New here (to the forum), but not to XJ's, I did the 8.25/HPD30 swap in my 01. Yukon Zip in the D30 & ARB in the 8.25.

Hit up a local junk yard or CL & for $100 - $200 plus the price of some new U bolts you have a bullet proof rear axle. I snapped an axle shaft (at the carrier) in my D35 on my TJ with open diff & 31" tires.

if you want to go cheap, look into auto lockers (Spartan/lokka), if your driving in crappy snow (Buffalo, New England, etc) auto lockers aren't your friend, but they're cheap.

Selectables are the way to go, but you'd better have deep pockets.... might as well regear if you're going lower than 4.10's too....

hahahahhahhaaaaaaa

*breath*

Hahhahhhahhahhahhaaaaaaaa

no.
they break from wet noodle axle tubes that get tweaked by minor wheeling, or as I posted, they eat a ring gear on a basic 1-2 upshift while turning left at a stoplight, on 31's. That was the third D35 that I lunched on 31's.
and since the OP's original question was about putting a locker in the rear, your point is invalid, because he's gonna lock it. Then it's going to break.

spend no money on a D35.
Missed the locked part. Yea I wouldn't lock one either

I ran a Power Trax limited slip in my 8.25 and 33s to save a few bucks and it failed after one year. Went with an ARB and love the combo. Wish I went with that years ago. A disk brake conversion is also one of the better upgrades you can make.

I have a Detroit locker in my c8.25. I like not having any cables or airlines to potentially have issues with, particularly when I'm in the boonies. Winter driving is a non-issue, granted I run all terrain tires.

Back