• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

waggy 44 vs. jk 44

The pictures I posted is a high pinion D44 from a '77 Ford F150 that I narrowed down to a custom width but cutting off and re-welding the inner C's back on.

The way you suggested would be a more time and work consuming way of narrowing the axle. It is easier to cut the inner C's off, cut some of the tube down, then weld the C's back on.

You would need two axles to do that, which would mean more money, and just a lot of extra work. You would also need to get the axle tubes out of the housing, which isn't the easiest thing.

so did you wind up using custom axle shafts? or did you narrow it to the wagoneer spec?

I ended up using custom length inner axle shafts. I was ordering Chromoly shafts anyway, so it wasn't a big deal. Extra $50 per shaft.

Yeah I know, but the ring gear is really where it isnt going much further. I guess if I can convince myself to stick with just 35s I will be fine, and if I don't wheel it too hard. But the shafts get so damn expensive. What I may do is just grab some extra shafts, throw a cheap $230 aussie in and see how that goes.

For what its worth, I know a hand full of TJ guys on 36"s fully locked, geared low, with their stock LP30s, and I can't remember anyone breaking.

Could you elaborate?

Grind some of the inner part of the yoke away to fit a full circle c-clip flat against the yoke ear.

What happens is when the ear stretches from the torque, the stock half circle clip pops out and following that the u-joint cap spits out. The trunion of the u-joint then launches into the now open hole in the ear and destroys it.

Cheap insurance in my mind. Some people choose to tack weld them in, but I tend to wear through u-joints faster than I blow them up.

Yeah i know a guy locked on 37" SSRs. And his is on a YJ (cant remember if that is LP or HP, pretty sure its HP, it may be different from TJs which are LP). His is locked and has no truss or even a stiff cover.

Could you elaborate?
Grind the inside of the ears of the axle shafts so that you can put a full circle snap ring to retain the caps. Its stronger.
For photo reference in case anyone searches later:

Here is a set of stock D60 stubs that I threw on the bridgeport for clearance for the full circle clips before I sold them. They were also sandblasted for the buyer too. Hence why the yoke is no longer shiny from the endmill marks.

D60_30Spline_Stub4.jpg

D60_30Spline_Stub3.jpg

Back