• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Valve Cover and Oil Filter Adapter

I think I have a basin wrench lying around somewhere. So just try that on the torx bit itself after punching it out of the socket. I think the torx bit itself is too small for that wrench....just guessing as I am not actually looking at it infront of me.

Danman, did you punch that T-60 bit out of the socket too and then use a wrench? I still can't see that bit fitting a 17mm wrench! If it did that would be ideal......but the two I had, one fit a 10mm and the other fit 1/2"

17mm is about .67" isnt it?

Anyway even then I snapped the wrench in half (without welding) and I was having difficulty with the torx bit sliding in the wrench back and forth. When it was sliding it was very difficult to get the bit into the torx bolt on the oil filter adapter square to make sure I didn't round anything off!

Last edited:
No I didn't punch out the chrome part. Just slip the wrench over the front before wiggling the whole thing up into the bolt. I'll check again when I get home and see what wrench it is, but it's BIG. Much bigger than 10mm lol.

Use a 3/8" drive T-60 (available at autozone) on a 3/8" Breaker bar (Use a qualty tool or it may fail, I used a snap on breaker bar , Place a 3 foot length of pipe on the end for leverage, Make sure you have a buddy keep a pry bar in-between the unibody & the back of the breaker bar to ensure the T-60 does not slip out.
The 3/8" tools fit nicely & got the job done, The 1/2" tools do not fit.
apply pressure & It should come right out!

I first tried the 2 wrench approach & it felt like the 2 wrenches were going to snap off!

Last edited:
I had a 3/8" drive torx bit set from Ace hardware. It necked down to 10mm.

Then I got the 3/8" drive T60 bit from AutoZone as well. Popped it out of the socket. It does not neck down and a 1/2" wrench fits it.

But like I said I had difficulty with the wrench sliding up and down the torx bit.

Since then I popped the bit back into the socket and tried vice grips but they don't budge it either. As tight as I have them they eventually lose grip on the socket and slide.

I do have a 1/2" breaker bar but not a 3/8". The torx bit, socket, and 3/8" breaker bar fits between the oil filter adapter and the unibody rail?

I do have browndog motor mounts which are totally great so it isn't like the motor is slouching towards the passenger side or anything either!

Ohh I see, yes I have been looking for one of those....I just don't need the whole set, although maybe I'll be forced to get it individually online. Sears sells them individually but only sells the T60 in 1/2" drive which is too long! Damn!

I will have to check out some other stores like Menards, Home Depot, Lowes.........never looked at them yet.

Ohh I see, yes I have been looking for one of those....I just don't need the whole set, although maybe I'll be forced to get it individually online. Sears sells them individually but only sells the T60 in 1/2" drive which is too long! Damn!

I will have to check out some other stores like Menards, Home Depot, Lowes.........never looked at them yet.

The Whole set was $18-$19 in autozone.

i found a T60 bit for 3 bucks at a local tool depot....duct taped that into a 1/2 wrench, slid a pip over it all the way down to the bit..took a lil muscle n some PB but it popped free...if u have any ratcheting wrenches, now would b the time to tape the bit in one of those...all i could find was a 13mm but it worked jus fine

i found a T60 bit for 3 bucks at a local tool depot....duct taped that into a 1/2 wrench, slid a pip over it all the way down to the bit..took a lil muscle n some PB but it popped free...if u have any ratcheting wrenches, now would b the time to tape the bit in one of those...all i could find was a 13mm but it worked jus fine

Some of them pop easy, Some Don't, You got Lucky.

I first tried using 2 wrenches over the torx bit, everything taped up, with a long cheater over them & It would not budge, It felt like the wrenches were going to snap!

yah that 1/2" wrench was bending quite a bit i even backed off a few times because i thought it was gonna snap, but i think soaking it real good for that half hour prior with PB was the key

So I went to Harbor freight to scope out their selection or Torx bits. They did have one piece impact torx bits in 3/8" drive but only long extended reach torx! What gives? The only short 3/8" drive torx sets they had were a 3 piece set for brake caliper bolts.

Can anybody find me a part number for the 3/8" drive T60 (even if it is in a set) that is one piece and short? I couldn't find it at their website either...

Haven't looked into that but it might work if you unbolt from the motor mount. But like I said before I would be worried about the motor slipping off of the jack with the amount of torque being applied to that bolt....

I used this http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_...Name=Mechanics+Tools&sName=Socket+Accessories stuck inside of one of these
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0006BI7VM/...0&linkCode=asn and it worked pretty well. it was tight but got the job done.

I used this http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0006BI7VM/...0&linkCode=asn
With a standard 3/8" breaker bar http://www.amazon.com/Breaker-Flex-..._4?ie=UTF8&s=automotive&qid=1241911117&sr=8-4
With a cheater pipe & it fit fine, Just be sure to have someone wedge a prybar between the frame & tool so it does not slip out.

Jeeze that one 3/8" breaker bar at Amazon is like $35.00. I think you can get them at Sears for $10!

I like the idea of using that socket cap set. Do you think Sear's Lisle 1/2" drive T60 bit would fit when used in combination with the 1/2" drive socket cap? Then I wouldn't have to order that 3/8" drive T60 bit online.....

Last edited:
Jeeze that one 3/8" breaker bar at Amazon is like $35.00. I think you can get them at Sears for $10!

I like the idea of using that socket cap set. Do you think Sear's Lisle 1/2" drive T60 bit would fit when used in combination with the 1/2" drive socket cap? Then I wouldn't have to order that 3/8" drive T60 bit online.....

I don't think so, Most of the 1/2" drive stuff is too big to fit in that spot.
The 1/2" drive T60 is BIG!

found all the oil adapter o-rings at my local ace/true value hardware store. just take your old ones in and match em up.

Back