• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

The Infamous Oil Filter Adapter

They have their uses, especially in 3/8" drive, steering box plumbing comes to mind, but not for Torx heads.

I dont recall what size but it holds a t60 perfectly and allows the use of a breaker bar, I've used it many times!!!

I should add that it also allows a torque wrench to be used for re-installation.

I found my t60 bit, it actually fits 14mm a little better than 9/16" but I've got both sets so ........
P1090288.JPG

P1090287.JPG

Your bit looks a lot more bulged on the back end than the 2 I've been using. Mine are basically the exact same diameter as the front of the bit which is what fits the 12mm perfectly.

The internal body of the adapter is "indexed" so you would have to grind the body.

BTW, even though I run the pressure up to at least 20psi prior to every start, I also fill the filter prior to installing it. You cant "fill it " but you can "wet it" enough with oil without making a mess putting it on.

eXoiSG0.jpg
As the larger gasket keeps hardening, the ‘solution’ for some people is to keep torquing it tighter and tighter. I believe that’s what happened to me. The person who owned it before me just kept cranking it down. That gasket had square edges and was hard as a rock when I finally got it out. Many things were half-ass ‘fixed’ in that Jeep. Hashtag-jeep life.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's like plastic/nitrile compared to a traditional viton o-ring. And the square edging is far too uniform and consistent to have started out as one.

eXoiSG0l.jpg

Well, I gave it another shot yesterday from underneath. Unfortunately all that happened was the bolt head got slightly rounded. I decided to order a new one from ebay before attempting anything else. I know it's gonna end up destroyed before I get it out. I think I should been giving it a hard smack not trying to pull against it slowly. I just hope there's enough left of the head to give ti another shot.

Next step if that doesn't work is a pipe wrench. I actually didn't think of that til I found some threads on other forums of guys doing it that way when the head stripped out. It's just a damn shame I didn't think of wedging something behind it before torquing on it like I did. It's not stripped...yet. But it definitely has some gnarling to it. The bit twisted sideways some and got jammed.

The other thing I didn't think too much about at first....all these threads and videos...the guys are typically working on 10 year old or so vehicles at the time and look a LOT cleaner than mine under the hood. Mine is 24 years old and has lived life in the NE rust belt the entire time. Probably about the worst case scenario.

Ironically, I just had to deal with this on my '92 (or, rather, my mechanic did).

Getting it apart was an ordeal and it did go back together tight apparently, but he was concerned about the threads on the bolt failing to hold up if we ever have to do the o-rings again (this was, as far as I know, the first time the thing had ever been apart). He recommended I lay in a spare bolt just in case.

The correct part number for my year (53009070, hex head) shows on MoparPartsGiant as discontinued/NLA, but the later Torx version (p/n53020237) is available and claimed to be compatible with 1991-2001.

Anyone ever use the later torx-style bolt on an engine originally equipped with the hex version? Figured I'd ask before I plunk down the $23 to get one of the later ones...

Last edited:
Ironically, I just had to deal with this on my '92 (or, rather, my mechanic did).

Getting it apart was an ordeal and it did go back together tight apparently, but he was concerned about the threads on the bolt failing to hold up if we ever have to do the o-rings again (this was, as far as I know, the first time the thing had ever been apart). He recommended I lay in a spare bolt just in case.

The correct part number for my year (53009070, hex head) shows on MoparPartsGiant as discontinued/NLA, but the later Torx version (p/n53020337) is available and claimed to be compatible with 1991-2001.

Anyone ever use the later torx-style bolt on an engine originally equipped with the hex version? Figured I'd ask before I plunk down the $23 to get one of the later ones...

Not an answer to your question, but a comment. I actually ordered 53020237 the other day from ebay. Not sure if your number was a typo or not (you had 337 instead of 237). I researched as much as I could for my 99 and found this to be the replacement.

I was going to order off of one of the "mopar xxx" sites until I researched them on resellerratings.com. With shipping, it was going to be right around $30 anyway, so the one on ebay was I think $32. Essentially the same price and I figured I'd have better luck with ebay since it's usually easier to deal with individual sellers. Here is the link if interested:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/166392681197

Yeah, I think the "0337" was a typo. Thanks for the catch, I've corrected my post.

Well, ended up ordering the new style from the eBay link gba88 provided. MoparPartsGiant wantrd to tack on $10 more because they had to get it from a "vintage parts seller",then $22 more to ship it. Wasn't gonna pay THAT much.

Thanks again for the link!

Well, ended up ordering the new style from the eBay link gba88 provided. MoparPartsGiant wantrd to tack on $10 more because they had to get it from a "vintage parts seller",then $22 more to ship it. Wasn't gonna pay THAT much.

Thanks again for the link!

No problem! Mine arrived last week. Unfortunately.....this job has officially kicked my A55... I cannot believe out of all the projects I've done on jeeps over the years (even replacing the exhaust manifold this year), that THIS little part is what did me in.

The bolt is now rounded out, I've spent probably $100 on different bits/tools and a replacement bolt and the original remains seized in place with the infamous drip collecting on the oil filter.

I tried to get a small pipe wrench on the rim of the bolt but holy hell...trying to hit JUST the rim and not mangle the housing...not sure how it can be done. My dad thought we should cut a slot in the edge and hammer with a screwdriver. Since this is a DD and I can't afford for it to be out of commission, it made more sense to just deal with the leak for now than to start cutting and pounding on stuff especially since I have the bolt but NOT an extra housing.

I'm open to any ideas/links/advice that anyone may have who found themselves in a similar situation with this project from hell.

Do you have a welder?

I have found welding to be the best solution for stuck bolts. Provide yourself with something that gives a better grip + the benefits of the hot wrench.

If the bolt is rounded off I gather it is the old style (not Torx). I would get a piece of flat stock, probably 5/16" thick x 1" or 1-1/2" wide, drill a hole that will fit over the rounded head and weld that on in a position that will let you crank on it to loosen the bolt. Keep in mind you will need to cut off said piece of steel in order to remove the bolt. First step is to get it loose. Next step is to get it out.

Do you have a welder?

I have found welding to be the best solution for stuck bolts. Provide yourself with something that gives a better grip + the benefits of the hot wrench.

If the bolt is rounded off I gather it is the old style (not Torx). I would get a piece of flat stock, probably 5/16" thick x 1" or 1-1/2" wide, drill a hole that will fit over the rounded head and weld that on in a position that will let you crank on it to loosen the bolt. Keep in mind you will need to cut off said piece of steel in order to remove the bolt. First step is to get it loose. Next step is to get it out.

Sorry for any confusion, it's a 99 and it was the torx... rounded out at this point. I don't weld, but my brother does and I thought of having a large nut welded on it, but didn't know about the safety/ability to weld in that area.

Your in a world of hurt at this point, about the only non-distructive way now would be to pull the engine. You might try a good pipe wrench again but since your likely to do damage to the adapter I would have a replacement on hand. They are getting hard to find new so you probably need to go through this again at the junk yard.

Back