• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Valve cover doesn't fit

Rotorwash

NAXJA Forum User
Putting my 4.0 back together with arp head bolts. Go to throw the valve cover back on but the wider arp bolt heads offset the cover and it hits the rockers. Can't fit it all the way down.

Anyone have a fix for this?

It's a 97 4.0.

You could buy a crown aluminum cover so you can clearance it for the bolts, I had to do this with my ARP bolts.

I hope it comes with some K-Y jelly for that price!

The 93-98 Grand Cherokee (ZJ) has an aluminum valve cover with the latter style CCV Grommets. It comes with the earlier style towers. I did Cruiser54's upgrades to it. I ran it on a '98 XJ no issues. With my 2000 it didn't like the thermostat housing. I used the upgraded FelPro gasket.

The 93-98 Grand Cherokee (ZJ) has an aluminum valve cover with the latter style CCV Grommets. It comes with the earlier style towers. I did Cruiser54's upgrades to it. I ran it on a '98 XJ no issues. With my 2000 it didn't like the thermostat housing. I used the upgraded FelPro gasket.

How does one go about finding one of these valve covers?

I have a '97 ZJ and a spare motor pulled from a '96 ZJ. Both appear to have the same stamped steel cover as my '95 & '96 XJs. In neither case do I have reason to suspect the valve cover is anything but original.

How does one go about finding one of these valve covers?

I have a '97 ZJ and a spare motor pulled from a '96 ZJ. Both appear to have the same stamped steel cover as my '95 & '96 XJs. In neither case do I have reason to suspect the valve cover is anything but original.

Yes, 96-up will have the stamped.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/2249364447...PaWvzWb/3iF1dadL12FmqYsFs=|tkp:Bk9SR_rLrqPNYg

Did see that on E-Bay. Also Car-parts.Inc. Although the two I saw pictured looked like '95 XJ valve covers. Aluminum and better than the RENIX Valve covers. I found mine at the Pick n Pulls. Although XJs and ZJs are getting thin.

Interesting.

How are those baffled? The ebay pics suggest there should be something on the underside, but it appears to have been removed.

Yes, that one is missing the 'towers' and the flat spring baffles. RENIX 87-90 and early HOs 91-95 have those as well.

I note he is swapping out the aluminum one for the steel one.

Everybody thinks the grass is greener on the other side of the fence.

The steel ones are better at controlling the oil. Still, if you want an aluminum one, the 93-95 ZJ does work.

The steel ones are better at controlling the oil. Still, if you want an aluminum one, the 93-95 ZJ does work.

Just how does a valve cover control oil?????:roflmao::roflmao:
Aluminum covers dissipate more heat and that's a great benefit!

Just how does a valve cover control oil?????:roflmao::roflmao:
Aluminum covers dissipate more heat and that's a great benefit!

Well, if you are familiar with Blow-By, then you'd know. Valve covers have baffles to control oil for splashing on the PC valve or the CCV .

Yes, I run a aluminum cover on my stroker! How does it not control the oil as compared to a steel one???

Yes, I run a aluminum cover on my stroker! How does it not control the oil as compared to a steel one???

You run an aftermarket aluminum valve cover. The subject was a factory Valve Cover. There were 3 or more factory aluminum valve covers. The RENIX, the HO and the ZJ's. All of them had a baffle spring or such and the shielding towers. MOPAR put out a Service Bulltin to modify the towers for better oil control to help with oil loss from the CCV system. On the 96-up steel valve covers they did a full length shield that covers both the inlet from the air cleaner and the CCV elbow.

Your scenario is based on old motors with excessive blow-by, that's a problem with the motor then! I don't have any baffles in my cover and I don't have any issues!

Well, you just need to put a few hundred thousand miles on that motor. You are not driving it enough.

If you really want to get acquainted with blow-by get yourself an older Cummins. On mine, I have swapped out 4 of my stock valve covers for a pair of siamesed, vented valve covers. Those have helped to keep me from blowing out all the engine seals under boost. Those siamesed valve covers have nicely designed baffles with oil returns. That is a good thing, and not to be dismissed.

Well baffled valve covers become important once you rack up some miles.

No, I removed the baffles when dealing with roller rocker clearance and I didn't want ANY oil vapors getting to the intake manifold so I installed a separator in the vacuum line after the factory CCV restricted office elbow! I'll never have any oil in the intake!

Back