• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Temp gauge stuck ?

Tonyt22

NAXJA Forum User
So working out some bugs after my engine rebuild Getting around to relocating the temp sensor from the back of the head to the tstat housing now that I'm using a 98 head the only problem I'm having right now is I think my gauge is stuck
With the jeep off or on doesn't matter reads a hair under 210 needle doesn't move at all
Thought maybe a grounding issue with the sensor so I zip tied it to a valve cover bolt still nothing thinking of ditching it all together and running a aftermarket

Are you using the stock sensor?

Is it your old one or new?

When you extended the harness, did you inadvertently swap the wires? Check your splices.

Check the resistance across the 2 terminals of the sensor. At 212F, the resistance would be between 640 and 720 ohms.

A few more resistance measurements:

Temp F (C)...........Min Ohms........Max ohms
50 (10) ................ 17,990 ............ 21,810
68 (20) ................ 11,370 ............ 13,610
77 (25) ................. 9120 ............. 10,880
86 (30) ................. 7370 ............... 8750
104 (40) ................ 4900 ............... 5750
122 (50) ................ 3330 ............... 3880

That's the wrong sensor (for a idiot light), the gauge requires a 2 wire sensor.

What RCP Phx said. No wonder it doesn't work.

The stock sensor has 2 wires. Both go to the PCM.

The BLK-LT Blu (Black with light blue tracer) wire is the sensor ground (common ground for several sensors) and goes to Pin 4 on the PCM.

The TAN-BLK (tan with black tracer) goes to Pin 2 on the PCM.

That's the wrong sensor (for a idiot light), the gauge requires a 2 wire sensor.

The sensor at the right rear of the head was only 1-wire for both switch and gauge. I don't believe the old renix sensor and the new HO one have the same resistance values. The chart above looks to be for the later HO sensor, and I have this one from Cruiser for the Renix temp IAT/CTS sensor.

values_iat_and_cts_57449d1fdde5c8cd3e854354f109dcd7e1b4801f.jpg

Back