• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Upgrading to a d44 rear build thread

I'm also doing a rear D44 build. I just bought a new 33-spline Detroit Locker for $400. And a new Spicer 4.56 R&P for $110.

I've been debating whether to go with the Explorer or Crown Vic rear disc setup. After all is said and done, I'll probably go the Teraflex route. Everything is brand new and is a complete bolt-on.

www.dc4wd.com quoted me a very good price on the Teraflex kit.

Just waiting on the 33-spline shafts now. This is all replacing my 29-spline 8.25 with 4.56 gears, No-Slip locker, alloy shafts, BTF cover, and ZJ disc brakes.

www.car-part.com

Put in the year, make and model of the vehicle you want the backing plate from, select the correct part in the drop down menu, and sort by price. At the bottom of the page will be a list of page numbers, one will have a * by it; that is the page with the lowest listed price. Start on that page working backward calling the yards until you can work a good deal with one. You could probably get your backing plate for $30 shipped.

I used the backing plates from a Grand Cherokee with a D35 and Discs . You have to do some re-drilling, and get a bearing retainer for a Rubicon D44, but it's not too bad. I think I used a lot of Stu's info too.

Harvo said:
I used the backing plates from a Grand Cherokee with a D35 and Discs . You have to do some re-drilling, and get a bearing retainer for a Rubicon D44, but it's not too bad. I think I used a lot of Stu's info too.

I pulled a spare bearing backing plate from a buddy's Rubicon yesterday afternoon and it turns out that that hole pattern doesn't line up either but it does have the lip that is so important.

Got the bearing retainer plates in from the dealer ($14 for both). I've located a d35 from a ZJ at a junkyard for $100 so that should have all the parts I need and will give me core exchanges for things like calipers and such.

While at the dealership I asked about rubicon rear disc backing plates. They said that they come as an assembly that includes the backing plate/bracket and all the e-brake parts and shoes. The only thing not covered is the caliper and the pads. Price was around $120 per side. Not too bad.

I just put all this together on my D44 as well. I went with the ZJ set up too. Here's my price breakdown:
Rubicon bearing retainers - $20
Ebrake hardware kit - $20
Ebrake shoes - $20
New rotors - $60
New rear pads - $30
Backing plates and calipers from my local junkyard - $25

The bearing and backing plates were a bit of a pain to redrill, even with a drill press because the holes overlap each other a bit. I ended up redrilling each hole to 7/16, and then using a 10mm axle flange bolt. That gave me a good fit, but a little wiggle room because my holes weren't perfect.

Update: This past week I went to pick up the ZJ d35 rear with discs. Turns out the j-yard's speciality was Grands! SCORE. The axle turned out to be in really good shape. Looks like it's only been sitting in the weather for a few months and I even walked away with great condition e-brake cables.

IMG_6889-800.jpg

IMG_6891-800.jpg

IMG_6892-800.jpg

Today I got around to pulling the chunk and locker out of another (slower moving) project. Now I have those items taken care of.

IMG_6893-800.jpg

IMG_6894-800.jpg

The gears are on order (4.88's), as is the master install kit. I still need to order the U-bolt yoke and the diff cover.

Hopefully tomorrow I'll work on getting some tubes bent up for the truss.

The 4.88 gears and overhaul/install kit came in.

Bought $38 worth of e-brake shoes and brake pads and got to use my $20 Autozone rewards card :cool:

Just ordered a SOLID diff cover and a U-bolt yoke kit. I got the trail repair kit cause you get a spare U-joint, U-bolts and nuts, seal, and pinion nut for about just a few $$ more than the yoke.

The rotors are getting turned and one of the last things I need to get before I start assembling is the longer wheel studs.

Nice...And I couldn't help but notice the beedlocks in the background:exclamati

98XJROKS said:
Nice...And I couldn't help but notice the beedlocks in the background:exclamati

Those are Hummer wheels (12 bolt version with the rubber runflats) mounted to 37" SS Irok Radials on my Scout II project. They are VERY heavy!

you gotta nice write up goin.
i also just got done rebuilding a 87 dana44 this summer. but iam saving up to get 4.56's and a detroit soft locker. Maybe a truss to!

Well I think I finially have all the right parts. I got the gears and install kits in my hands today. Cost was $150 for the gears and $75 for the install kit.

Some other prices I've left out in the last few days were...
-Solid diff cover $115 shipped from Northridge 4x4.com
-U-bolt Yoke kit (which came in today :D ) was $70 shipped from completeoffroad.com
-Brake rotors $22 each (got new ones cause turning was almost as much as new) (these came from a 96 ZJ with rear disc's)
-Wheel studs $20 ($2 each) These are about 3/8" longer than the factory d44ones and that part number was 610-446.1 They were for an 06 Rubicon D44 rear. Hopefully they work

Here's a pict of the pile of new parts...

IMG_6967-800.jpg

Tonight I got my garage cleaned up ready for assembly. I pulled the old carrier bearings off and measured shims for my starting point. I got the ring gear loktite'd and torqued to the carrier (the one with the locker already in).

Calling it quits for the night. :speepin:

Had some more progress this weekend. Got the main bar for the truss bent up. Also cut the shock mounts off and ground the axle tube back smooth. Pulled the bearings off of each carrier to figure out which shim setup I'm going to go with first. Also pressed the inner pinion bearings on and got the race and shims punched into the housing...

I also picked up some sanding drums to make the carrier setup bearings.

IMG_6969-800.jpg

IMG_6970-800.jpg

IMG_6971-800.jpg

IMG_6972-800.jpg

IMG_6973-800.jpg

Now I have to fishmouth the tube in the right spot and get that ready to weld.

lapisxj said:
Had some more progress this weekend. Got the main bar for the truss bent up. Also cut the shock mounts off and ground the axle tube back smooth. Pulled the bearings off of each carrier to figure out which shim setup I'm going to go with first. Also pressed the inner pinion bearings on and got the race and shims punched into the housing...

I also picked up some sanding drums to make the carrier setup bearings.

IMG_6969-800.jpg

IMG_6970-800.jpg

IMG_6971-800.jpg

IMG_6972-800.jpg

IMG_6973-800.jpg

Now I have to fishmouth the tube in the right spot and get that ready to weld.

looking good, You'll enjoy the 4.88s. Mine is a DD and the 4.88s work great. Looking foreward to the disc conversion I need to do that(take lots of pictures.)

Made some progress on setting up gears this weekend. I got the setup bearings made. I took a set of old carrier bearings and used a sanding drum on the ID until they were a slip fit on the carrier.

Here's the initial setup. I used the same thickness of shims that originally came out of the axle as my starting point.
Non Ring Gear side (NRG): .043
Ring Gear (RG) side: 052
Pinion: .033
Backlash (BL): .009
firstpattern1-800.jpg

firstpattern2-800.jpg

Backlash was good but the pinion needed to come in some...

Last edited:
Second setup. Brought the pinion in by .018 and shifted carrier shims to compensate for the depth change.

RG: .038
NRG: .050
Pinion: .051
BL: .015

secondpattern2-800.jpg

secondpattern2-800.jpg

Pinion looked better but I wanted it a little bit deeper. I'm limited on shim variety as they sent a poor selection.

Third setup. I left the carrier shims alone and brought the pinion in.

RG: .038 (stayed the same)
NRG: .050 (stayed the same)
Pinion: .061
BL: .013

thirdpattern1-800.jpg

thirdpattern2-800.jpg

OK, now I've got the pinion too deep and the BL is still too loose...

Fourth setup. It was getting late and I only changed the carrier shims since they could be done quickly. Again my shim variety is killing me so I'm having to make bigger jumps than normal.

RG: .048
NRG: .040
Pinion: .061
BL: .004

fourthpattern1-800.jpg

fourthpattern2-800.jpg

OK so now my pinion is too close AND my backlash is too tight. Time to call it a night.

Very nice, very similar to mine and I'm sure many others D44 builds here :)

When I got my d44 it was out of an 87 with a limited slip and 3.07s. Instead of dealing with replacing a carrier, I went with a Detroit in the rear and 4.56s (I was already running 35s on a 8.25 29 spline which I blew the R&P in). I stuck with 30 spline shafts and the drum brakes for the time being. This setup with 35s on my 99 seemed to work very well and wasn't too expensive all things considered. I ordered all my parts (full master install kit, r&p, detroit, u-bolt style yoke kit + u-joint) through DC4wd after getting the lowest prices online and having DC Peters match them.

Don't bother with a lunchbox locker in the rear, get a full carrier replacement like a Detroit or an ARB or OX if you want something selectable.

Back