• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

u-joint question.

MoFo said:
$65, that's $270 cdn, right?
Depends.... :D

That tool(press/clamp) can be purchased in Canada at Princess Auto(Harbour Freight of the GWN). As part of aball-joint kit(~CAD$100), or on it's own(~CAD$50). It does go on sale periodically.

Lou said:
Depends.... :D

That tool(press/clamp) can be purchased in Canada at Princess Auto(Harbour Freight of the GWN). As part of aball-joint kit(~CAD$100), or on it's own(~CAD$50). It does go on sale periodically.

yeah, you just never know what you'll find there. I'll def go have a look see. There's one near here in Mississagua the other side of the airport. Also know a place that loans out free tools as well, so that's always an option.

Damn! I think my u-jionts are now in pretty bad shape. I just hope I can limp along until the end of the month when I get paid to replace them.
Was at the wreckers and taking a look how things were put together. Seems I'll need a huge ass socket size for the axle nut, but hwo do I take the calipers off? I know it's done with a c-clamp and you can take it off without worrying about screwing the brake lines, but have never done it before.
Was wondering as well. when the axleshaft comes out, does it simply pull out, and push back in? or is there more to it? I just trying to fully understand what I'm doing before starting as I won't be able to run out to pick anything up once I start it obviously. Other than taking off the big @ss nut and the caliper to get the roter off, is there anything else that has to be taken off to get the axle out?
Sorry if this all seems pretty basic, but it's something I"ve not done at all before as of yet.

thanks for everyones help, greatly appreciate!

LouisianaZJ said:
read these ENTIRELY

http://www.stu-offroad.com/axle/d30/axle-1.htm

http://www.stu-offroad.com/axle/ujoint1/u-joint-1.htm

the large nut does NOT have to be removed, 36mm anyway

the caliper has to be removed 2 13mm bolts i think

the 3 hub bolts have to be removed 13mm 12point sockets

i repeat do NOT need to remove the 36mm nut

Thanks for the help! I'll definitely read carefully, then read it, then read again. On my way to work so going to copy to the harddrive to read it tonight. No problem on the 13mm 12pt sockets. Got that.
As for 'limp along' , I just can't do a thing about this until I get paid the end of the month. I can hear the u-jionts when I turn and they aren't sounding good, so I'm pretty sure they're just about shot. Just want to to be careful unitl I can get them changed. Just REALLY want to do myself, to A] learn to do it and B] save my money for other things that are left to do. The less I have to spend out to a shop for doing hings, the more I can get done this year to my XJ.

Back