• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

u-joint question.

LouisianaZJ said:
if your going to be using anything other than spicer ujoints dont bother. all the generic crap at the autostores are just that, junk
Cyk,
The axelshaft ujoints at the dealer are CAD$30-35. The ones that Tire/PartSource/NAPA carry are only a couple of dollars cheaper, and not as good. Get the Spicers at the dealer.

I have a feeling that the ones you picked up at the bone yard may not even be the correct ones(size).

The dealer price on ujoint replacement is ~CAD$150--between removing the the axelnut or the hub it can be a PITA.

LouisianaZJ said:
if your going to be using anything other than spicer ujoints dont bother. all the generic crap at the autostores are just that, junk

the spicers i pointed out are 99% identical to the stealership part

and to find out if they are 760's or the 260's
the caps an the 760's are 1 3/16" diameter. the 260's are 1 1/16" diameter

Just found this
http://xjconnection.jtv.cc/dana30_xj.htm

Would it be worth fhile to put in greaseable ones over the non-greaseable ones? that is if I can get them of course. I'll have to search to see which one it would use.

Lou said:
Cyk,
The axelshaft ujoints at the dealer are CAD$30-35. The ones that Tire/PartSource/NAPA carry are only a couple of dollars cheaper, and not as good. Get the Spicers at the dealer.

I have a feeling that the ones you picked up at the bone yard may not even be the correct ones(size).

The dealer price on ujoint replacement is ~CAD$150--between removing the the axelnut or the hub it can be a PITA.
Seriously?!?!?!?!? I was quoted $100 ea, plus with labour and taxes it'll be almost $500 give or take for doing both the fronts. Even have the sheet of things they said I needed to get done. Most I"ve done myself. This is the last big thing to do.

Call Islington Chrysler(don't buy a vehicle there, but service not so bad), and QEW/427 JEEP-Chrysler--get a quotes for axel ujoint replacement.

From an old receipt(2002) from Islington Crys.

1.5hr labour front suspension / ujoint replacement(p/n J# 1 02CCZ) $126
1x Spider 16-010-001 (p/n J8126637) $33.17

Total $159.17 plus taxes

Last edited:
Lou said:
Call Islington Chrysler(don't buy a vehicle there, but service not so bad), and QEW/427 JEEP-Chrysler--get a quotes for axel ujoint replacement.

From an old receipt(2002) from Islington Crys.

1.5hr labour front suspension / ujoint replacement(p/n J# 1 02CCZ) $126
1x Spider 16-010-001 (p/n J8126637) $33.17

Total $159.17 plus taxes

Thanks, will def check them out. I gather that that's the price for just one side right?

cykaaro said:
Just found this
http://xjconnection.jtv.cc/dana30_xj.htm

Would it be worth fhile to put in greaseable ones over the non-greaseable ones? that is if I can get them of course. I'll have to search to see which one it would use.

Greasable ones will be weaker, I wouldn't bother with them. Just buy four regulars and keep the other two as spares. Once you've changed them the first time the next time is ALOT easier. Mine were terribly rusted in there, they hadn't ever been changed (1988). But it was also my first time ever replacing them and did them by myself.

And to anwer the original question again, no don't get the greasables.

WobblesXJ said:
And to anwer the original question again, no don't get the greasables.

Unless....you run in mud and water, then get the greasables. grease them every oil change and after muddy trails. I run greasables and have never had a problem with breaking.

Rev

Rev Den said:
Unless....you run in mud and water, then get the greasables. grease them every oil change and after muddy trails. I run greasables and have never had a problem with breaking.

Rev

Don't know where I'll end up going a lot of the time, and have come across some pretty muddy/water conditions now and again. Is there much difference between the two price wise?

i personally think the spicer non greasables would be better either way

if you look at the seals between the two the non greasable 760's have a triple lip seal with a plastic dirt guard, the greasables have like a single lip seal that is not as waterproof

Asked about the u-jionts at Partsource this morning as I had to by the spring tool for doing my rear brakes.

They don't carry the spicer ones, but have Rockford Xtreme premium heavy duty u-jionts. Any on here of this type? Are they any good? They're $32cdn each.

This link should help you out a bit:

http://www.jeepin.com/features/ujoint/index.asp

Also, off the jeepin.com mainpage you can hit the link to shop for new parts. What may be an option for you is to buy complete new axleshafts assemblys with new Ujoints already installed. About 115 each side shipped, and plus you can keep your old ones as spares.

dtd-d30-ds.jpg

Last edited:
Lucas said:
This link should help you out a bit:

http://www.jeepin.com/features/ujoint/index.asp

Also, off the jeepin.com mainpage you can hit the link to shop for new parts. What may be an option for you is to buy complete new axleshafts assemblys with new Ujoints already installed. About 115 each side shipped, and plus you can keep your old ones as spares.

Thanks for the link. Muchly appreciated. No in my budget to replace the axleshafts right now with a couple other things to be done first, but something that is good to keep in mind. Will check them out.

Honestly how hard is it to replace the u-joints on the front axle? I just had them replaced about a year and half ago, and now needs to be done again. I dont have any specialty tools just normal hand tools and such. Im worried Ill run into something I cant fix in a weekend. Any heads up would be appreciated, I do have the chiltons manual but for this Im still not sure about.

XJsqared said:
Honestly how hard is it to replace the u-joints on the front axle? I just had them replaced about a year and half ago, and now needs to be done again. I dont have any specialty tools just normal hand tools and such. Im worried Ill run into something I cant fix in a weekend. Any heads up would be appreciated, I do have the chiltons manual but for this Im still not sure about.

Exactly where I'm at too. Guess I'll need to see about getting a C clamp. Never had use of one before. Anyparticular size needed?
Going to hit the wreckers this morning so going to take a good look at what's involved in this, and of course, will have my digital camera in hand. Just never know.......

Q:How hard is it/ what is involved?

CLICK ON THE LINK I POSTED ABOVE

cykaaro said:
Exactly where I'm at too. Guess I'll need to see about getting a C clamp. Never had use of one before. Anyparticular size needed?
Going to hit the wreckers this morning so going to take a good look at what's involved in this, and of course, will have my digital camera in hand. Just never know.......

I have one of those ball joint/u-joint presses from Astro Pneumatic, got it for about $65 to do some ball joints on my truck. Works *great* for u-joints, is so-so for lower ball joints (got the job done anyway...). Nice tool to have around, although if you ever wanted to use it for D30 ball joints, I'm not certain it'd fit as is. They do say it'll work for the D44 axle.

But for u-joints, it's superb overkill. Beats a hammer, hands down.

See http://www.mytoolstore.com/astro/asthan14.html#7865

$65, that's $270 cdn, right?

I like the Ball Joint / C-press from Harbor Freight. I found them on sale last fall and got 2 for $39 each. If you have a Harbor Freight tools store where you are, maybe you can catch a deal.

Back