• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

U bolt eliminators

Yes, the spring platform welds on in place of the normal spring pad and then the springs are clamped to the springpad directly with normal bolts rather than u-bolts.

They are extremly easy to make yourself. The local place that sells steel in my area has a huge guletine and some heavy duty bending equipment too. I've bought some 6mm steel plate which I had bent in a big U shape. I'll now determine exactly how high I need the mount to be and then drill 75mm holes with a hole saw, trim the legs and mount it. Easy!

Whats wrong with u-bolts? I could see how on a spring under set-up you would gain some ground clearance but on a XJ what would the benifit be?

Stumpalump said:
Whats wrong with u-bolts? I could see how on a spring under set-up you would gain some ground clearance but on a XJ what would the benifit be?

I was thinking the same thing. On a spring-over axle like an XJ rear, the only gain you'd get is the 1/2" diameter of the two u-bolts where they radius around the bottom of the axle tube. Hardly seems worth putting in extra effort to make a nut-plate attached to the spring perch.

Although they are called u-bolt eliminators, I think their real purpose is to provide additional lift without using heavily curved or stiff leafs. They have a greater seat area to prevent spring wrap.

Have a look at the TNT website - they are advertised to be used in the following way to give for example a 6" lift:
2 x 1.5" u-bolt eliminator spring pads
2 x 3.5" leafs springs
2 x 1.5" lift longer shackles

fubar XJ said:
I was thinking the same thing. On a spring-over axle like an XJ rear, the only gain you'd get is the 1/2" diameter of the two u-bolts where they radius around the bottom of the axle tube. Hardly seems worth putting in extra effort to make a nut-plate attached to the spring perch.
I put mine on for a little lift when I put my front ACOS on as well as to combat spring wrap.

I just ordered a set of the 1.5". Since I dropped the shackle mount down and forward a couple of inches to get the shackle to be 40-50*, I lost an inch or so in height and it changed my pinion angle. I will be using these to compensate for the height loss and to correct pinion angle.

gorman said:
Although they are called u-bolt eliminators, I think their real purpose is to provide additional lift without using heavily curved or stiff leafs. They have a greater seat area to prevent spring wrap.

Have a look at the TNT website - they are advertised to be used in the following way to give for example a 6" lift:
2 x 1.5" u-bolt eliminator spring pads
2 x 3.5" leafs springs
2 x 1.5" lift longer shackles

This setup works great on mine.

Smasher.jpg

Ryan, do you care to elaborate a bit on the specs of your Jeep - such as the what suspension you have and also that interesting looking steering setup and what knuckles you need for that?

jrowell said:
I put mine on for a little lift when I put my front ACOS on as well as to combat spring wrap.

Ah, that makes sense, once I factored in that they're used to provide lift as well.

Are they like a long short-leaf bolted to the tube, in the way they combat spring wrap?

yeah i am getting some to eliminate my 1.5 blocks just to be safer and more reliable - also to combat some axle wrap as well

fubar XJ said:
Ah, that makes sense, once I factored in that they're used to provide lift as well.

Are they like a long short-leaf bolted to the tube, in the way they combat spring wrap?
They are basically a long spring purch. Before I put them on I broke two times at my rear driveline ujoint-Pinion Yoke. Got Ubolt style yoke and these "ubolt eliminator" spring purches and have broke no more.

...I hope I did not jinx myself

Maybe it's just me but those seem like a really bad idea. You're relying entirely on the weld so it better be a good one. Of course the same could be said of a lot of things in the suspension. I'd much rather have the added security of ubolts, it's not like they actually get in the way of anything.

Just put them on. Simple and effective idea.
No blocks. Flat spring.

JJacobs said:
Maybe it's just me but those seem like a really bad idea. You're relying entirely on the weld so it better be a good one.

Your relying on the weld on a stock spring perch... what's the difference?

Undoubtedly :)

I'm thinking of running these myself. I'll be adding a Tanker Bumper from AJ's Offroad whenever it is completed in place of my old OT Fab rear bumeper/tire carrier. That with the weight of the THOR qp guards I want to put on afterwards, will make the Jeep a little lower in the rear. These look like the perfect solution. Not too pricey either all things considered.

I am getting a pair of TnT 1.5" UBE's and they also come with new shock mounts that you weld up higher on the axle tube for better clearance. Upon looking... these might work as bump stop plates as well. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Last edited:
Back