• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Turbo charged 4.0 xj

Incase anyone cares. An A/F gauge is next to useless. I have built countless turbo systems for all types of cars. They will go rich when your ecu goes into open loop anyway. It only knows 14.7 or not. A wideband is the only way to ensure you won't damage your engine. An intercooler is KEY on any turbo setup.

I hate to say it but I pulled it last summer. I made some comments about the problem in another thread about turbos here on naxja the other day. The problem was to much heat not a big suprise though, its hard enughto keep an xj cool without sticking a turbo under the intake. I had lots of problems with melting things that were anywere near the turbo. Also on hot days I could tell that I really needed an intercooler. Other than those minor problems that I wasnt willing to tolerate everything was peachy. The jeep really did run very well even in the heat but as I said every thing around the turbo just couldnt take it. Ow ya the air fuel gauge was pretty much useless although I never had a problem with not getting enugh fuel. I can say having a turbo or a supercharger is the way to go sure beats stock, but if I did it again I would have a intercooler and I would probably hang the turbo out the top of the hood. I can say that its no fun to melt your clutchs hydro line and have to drive 250 miles home without a clutch. Jack

not sure if this is what you guys are looking for but Ill post anyway
http://www.505performance.com/01Prod.html
12.gif

question for you all, pretend we have unlimited room under the hood for a sec. do youthink 2 smaller twin turbos would be any better as fas as heat and spool time is concerned? I don't know the exact p/n on the turbo's i have but i know they came from a 1.3L subaru and have an integrated wastgate. I don't know much about turbo's yet but im learning.

Dingo

I had a post about turbos going earlier. I think the reasons against twin turbos are:
1) space requirements
2) tubing/plumbing/whatever you want to call it
3) thermal efficiency

Having just 1 large turbo I think somebody also said spools faster....search for a thread I posted about a turbo kit for an XJ (or just search under my handle).

I was convinced I was going twin turbo, but now will only go 1, due to responses to my questions.

Don't forget an intercooler, and if you can, get everything ceramic coated. It will help with spool time and power - keeping the exhaust gases hot will help to keep backpressure to a minimum - and especialliy low RPM response.

If you can REALLY afford it, get all forged internals, run high compression (~9.0:1 or higher) to help keep low RPM torque, you're gonna need some good freaking gas and/or octane booster and/or alcohol injection for this.

The only advantage a blower has over a turbo nowadays is ease of installation (albeit, generally a huge one). Even turbo lag is minimal, assuming you get a properly sized turbo.

Make sure you get an intercooler for the blower, too.

Pretty much, unless you build one in between the blower and the TB (it's been done before). Basically you'd need 2 heat exchangers ("radiators") for it to work.

Hey, just discovered this thread. I'm going to be doing my own turbo project and this thread is a great resource. I can't seem to be able to view the pictures. I would love to see how you did it.

I'm thinking of running a t04e .54 trim or t04b v-trim. After reading this thread it looks like I will definetely be getting an intercooler.

Dealing with fuel, at first I thought I was going to have to use some 24 or 28lb injectors. Is it possible to keep my stock 21/lb injectors and just raise the fuel pressure and get enough fuel? Is the fuel pressure constant while your driving and you change injector pulses to get appropriate amount of fuel, or do you change fuel pressure to get the right amount of fuel?

I noticed you said you have 4x4 manual transmission. I have a 2wd automatic, so I'm wondering if I have more room and less things to worry about melting.

Just looking for some advice. Thanks.

bringing it back.

Would it be possible to use a engine management system such as megasquirt instead of using an FMU?

I was thinking, for intercooling the charge, get a supra side mount and route pipes to it in teh stock air box location.

What power levels is the stock fuel pump good to? I was thinking of using DSM 450cc injectors and an engine management to control them and the ignition timing. I just realized....I think teh jeep has saturated injectors. not peak and hold. What are some good injectors for a low boost application.

T3 .60/.63 will be the turbo of choice. Thinking of modifying the stock header to accept the turbo. then doing a 3" cutout on the downpipe.

Would I even need a bov since the xj is auto?

Well, I am planning on using megasquirt. I already ordered my kit and have it somewhat assembled. I will be using it for fuel only at first. Once I get it working I plan on adding ignition, though I dont know what kind of modifications are going to be necessary to get it working. Hopefully I will be running smoothly long before I add the turbo, as I'm sure thats going to add some complexity. I could always buy an MSD 6A to control timing via interfacing with megasquirt.

I was wondering about adjusting the fuel pressure to get more fuel, but I dont know if that will provide enough fuel for my goals. I will probably buy some 24# or 28# injectors and keep fuel pressure stock, though I'm open to suggestions.

I plan on adding a BOV value just because its another safety mechanism, and if i'm going to spend the timing doing this, im going to do it right.

I'm also curious as to what kind of power the stock fuel can hold up to, which I hope is alot because I dont feel like buying a new one :p

For the turbo, right now I have my eyes set on a garret hybrid t04e .57 trim .63 A/R. I see holsets for cheap, but I can never find flow maps for them. I emailed the company but never recieved a response. It seems the holset HX-35 might be a reasonable choice, but the only thing I have to base that on is the opinions of others more familar with turbos.

I will definitaly try to intercool, but I have even less of an idea of what to do for this than the rest of the system. I dont want to mount one in front of the radiator since it needs all the air it can get. If you have ideas let me know. It would definitely be of benefit to both of us if you were also doing this project, as we could help each other.

And thanks for putting the pics up mtbkr, I have them saved on my computer now to use them for ideas. Since, you've done this already, I'm sure you could throw some helpful advice out as what to avoid,etc, if you don't mind that is.

As far as mounting the turbo, I'm not really sure. My plan for now is to mount it at the collector and put some braces from the frame to support it. I still have the stock header, and with its log design, i'm wondering how much that will hurt performance. I know in stock applications a header doesn't do much but this is not a stock application. I would hate spending 300-400 dollars on a nice header if it worth it.

what do yall think of this turbo for a 4.0 cherokee application?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/New-...ewItemQQcategoryZ33742QQitemZ8026695269QQrdZ1

from ad
SPECS:

T04E 57 trim Compressor, 0.70 a/r (400+HP)
center section: Dynamic seal, oil cooled, Hi precision balanced to 0,3gr. at 2500 RPM!
T3 turbine, 72 trim wheel (STG1), 0.48 a/r housing, Ported bypass hole,
customizable with 0.63 turbine, watercoolig, 360 thrust, int.wastegate, block off flange on demand.

i see watercooling under the customiable part. I'm assuming this means I can change out something in the turbo to get this? I don't want to go this route and would like to keep it simply oil cooled. I'm also wondering about the interval wastegate. What are the disadvantages of internal vs external wastegate?

Water cooling will prolong the life of your turbo, but it will make the jeep run a little bit warmer. prolly not noticeable. To get water cooling, they would have to put a new center cartridge in place of the oil cooled one. Do you know how to read compresor maps? LEarning to do this will tell you what turbo is good for what application.

Yeah, I'm still learning about turbos. I bought maximum boost by Corky Bell, pretty good book, but still reading. I know there are flow maps for compressors, and I have figured that a t04e 57 trim .63 a/r would be good, but I'm not sure about the turbine. It seems you can not really find flow maps for these. I'm wondering if anybody can offer advice on turbine size. I just know that its important to match the turbine and compressor together.

Back