• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Turbo charged 4.0 xj

I found a turbo kit for wrangler 4.0's I would have to think that it would work on a cherokee with the possiblity of some slight tweaking to make everything fit right. Now yes it does cost a bit more that you were able to make your system for but it also does come w/ a 3 in bar and plate intercooler and those can be a pretty good chunk of money. I don't know what the turbo manafold looks like on the wrangler kit to see if it is anybetter than the one that you fabed up. I would imagen that it is not a log style turbo manafold though. Since log type manafolds are teh worst type of turbo manafolds there are since the gases do not have a direct line of flow. I think you did a pretty good job of getting a turbo system made up for your cherokee though. When i eventuly turbo mine i think i am going to try to get a manafold from Turbo-kits.com or possibly build a close to = lenght length manafold. so anyway here is the link for the turbo kit http://www.turbo-kits.com/wrangler_turbo_kits.html.

Fenton Beech
1992 Cherokee 4.0 H.O.
1989 Volvo 765 Ti.

That's actually a CarTech kit:

http://www.cartech.net/jeepturbo.htm

They quoted me $400 for just the manifold. The kit otherwise looks pretty complete for a Wrangler; however, I went through Corky Bell's books pretty thoroughly and came up with my own numbers by which to match compressor maps, and I don't think the T3-60 turbo in the CarTech kit is adequate for highway driving in the altitudes at which I live.

I've had a talk with MTBKR, as well, and really appreciate his knowledge. He's using an MSD boost timing master and no intercooling and says it works pretty well; just a bit of ping on very hot days. If I recall correctly, he's using a T04B-60 turbo with 0.96 A/R turbine housing.

For my application, the best match would be a T04E-54 with a turbine housing A/R of just under 0.70, running 6-8 psi of boost with an air/liquid intercooler I'm going to make.

Instead of using an analog ignition unit such as the MSD in an otherwise electronic EFI system, I'm going to piggyback a Split Second FTC1 Fuel/Timing Calibrator to enable me to program the system as if I had a stand-alone ECU. Here's their website:

http://www.splitsec.com/spike/jeep/spikejeep.htm

On moving the TB to the inlet side of the turbo. I have been running a 85 Buick GN for years, these are non intercooled. The intercoolers started in 86/87. On mine the TB is at the inlet of the turbo and the turbo sits on top of the intake and blows straight down. There is no pipe at all and there for no turbo lag. We installed an intercooler kit and left the TB in the stock location and it would fall on it's face. Finally found that all of the volume of the piping had to fill up to pressurize the plenum, there for the lag. We moved the TB to the plenum inlet and it worked great. This is how the 86/87's are set up. Try to keep the pipe runs as short as you can. Hope this helps you have done a great job.

Jim

How is 3k and 4k for a super charger better? Turbos give better response than superchargers. I didn't say to buy the turbo kit just that it would be a good idea to buy the turbo manafold from them and them find all of the other parts your self.

Fenton Beech
Macedonia,OH/Blairsville,PA
1992 Cherokee 4.0 H.O.
1989 Volvo 765 Ti.

Sick thread, sick project... good to see someone actually doing something REAL!

1) Dyno that beast
2) Stroke it!!!!!!! :laugh:
3) Give it to me!

I wouldn't really trust the o2 sensor as the Jeep has a narrow band o2 sensor, and it isn't reliable enough. Speaking from experience and turbos I would get a exhaust temp sensor also or a wideband o2 sensor to run your air/fuel ratio gauge.

Couldnt see any of the pics?

Sorry about the pics. I'm hosting them, but I had to reformat my confuzer the other day... :-( They should be up now, but let me know if you can't see them so I can make sure my server is configured correctly.

Sorry about the hassle!

DrMoab said:
Hey Jack! not to steal your thread or anthing but you should help me stroke mine out this winter...I'll buy the beverages :guitar:
That sounds great to me Ryan I would be glad to help you Jack:wierd:

excellant thread... old, but some of the best info I've found for a jeep..
Looking run a SC 6-8 psi but a lot of the same principals apply.
Working with a local shop, they recommended I stay with the 19lbs injectors, beef the fuel systems to support 190lph ( from 110~ stock) and 40psi in the rail.Also use a fuel pressure regulator with a 1:1 boost ratio. I did assume I;d have to go to 24 or 30.
What do you guys suggest for monitoing Fuel ratio.? The wide band O2's look like the option except $$. THe other question is the gauge used on them..
Can you monitor with a pyro only?
I had assumed I'd need a intercooler to offset the hight intake temps with a roots.

I'd recommend an Innovate Motorsports LM-1 wideband A/F meter they're pretty cheap at only $350 and when your sensor goes bad its only $50-$80. I've been using mine since they first came out and is probably my favorite tool.Also depending on year of XJ if its an OBD II I'd recommend a OBD II scanner you can hook up to a PC/laptop to be able to view fuel trims and keep them in check for everyday streetability.I know of a few people who use EGT's to tune turbo I6's but I also notice they blow alot of head gaskets : )

hey sorry about bringing this thread up from the dead....but is there anyway to see the pics of the turbo setup again....im thinking about doing something similar....?

N20Jeep said:
hey sorry about bringing this thread up from the dead....but is there anyway to see the pics of the turbo setup again....im thinking about doing something similar....?

The pics are up now good luck

Wow I just saw this build of yours for the first time. Awesome, how is is working now that its been what 2 years since the install? Looks like a professional job though, the way its tucked in there, not in the way of stuff or sticking through a hole in the hood. Tell me something though, how does the computer handle the change from vacuum to boost without getting all confused and not knowing what to make of the air flow (and a/f ratio).

Back