• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

"PayDay" my 2000 XJ Build

did you ever end up changing the color of the lower door panels to match the other stuff you redid? I'm just curious cause I'm thinking about doing that to mine after I put the RC seat covers in my XJ, I recovered my visors in black also. I like the effect but I may do the rest of my interior to get rid of the butterscotch look.

did you ever end up changing the color of the lower door panels to match the other stuff you redid? I'm just curious cause I'm thinking about doing that to mine after I put the RC seat covers in my XJ, I recovered my visors in black also. I like the effect but I may do the rest of my interior to get rid of the butterscotch look.
Yes I did and they turned out really good something about the texture on the doors that the duplicolor vinyl and fabric sticks to really well. I originally kept the vinyl and handle dark grey but all black ended up looking better so I kept with that,

They looked so good that I didn't clear coat or clear bedline them at all. If I have to I will tho.

19346d5263103e0a711d70012057d407.jpg

e02807542d1ba4102cecae809235c254.jpg

Sent from my SM-A516U using Tapatalk

Got the last switch panel today and I'm happy with the results this is how I want it to look for the next few years

Soundproofed the last 2 doors and painted the panels just waiting for them to dry.

I have some other goodys that came in the mail as well that I'm excited to put together.
7a1778426a758c47014752e15976bb71.jpg

What front and rear seats are those?
They are indeed 02 grand cherokee seats as are the rear. I snagged then for 60 bucks somehow from the yunkyard. The front ones fit in easily by changing the brackets to the stock xj brackets and the rears are a bit more tedious but I got them to line up perfectly which I was worried wouldn't happen based on the writeups I was reading. I'll make a post on it but basically the bracket needs notched enough to be bent and it'll line up.

They are indeed 02 grand cherokee seats as are the rear. I snagged then for 60 bucks somehow from the yunkyard. The front ones fit in easily by changing the brackets to the stock xj brackets and the rears are a bit more tedious but I got them to line up perfectly which I was worried wouldn't happen based on the writeups I was reading. I'll make a post on it but basically the bracket needs notched enough to be bent and it'll line up.

Thanks, but I'm a little confused now. An '02 is a WJ, but these don't look like WJ seats that I've seen. I guess they are ZJ as Da XJ Nut said? I've heard that the ZJ front seats sit about an inch higher than XJ seats. Is that your experience? For the rear seats, I guess you removed the head rests?

Thanks, but I'm a little confused now. An '02 is a WJ, but these don't look like WJ seats that I've seen. I guess they are ZJ as Da XJ Nut said? I've heard that the ZJ front seats sit about an inch higher than XJ seats. Is that your experience? For the rear seats, I guess you removed the head rests?
Hmm I think may have said in an earlier post they were 04 seats but I went to that yard again recently and the windshield said 02 on the one I pulled them out of. I guess now that you mention it they may sit higher but I can't tell the difference I kept the rear headrests and bent the bracket for them but I was also happily suprised to find them

bac9ed255016f5b2e999eee4e6d37e7d.jpg

09937437c4fa455092be4f360cccf6cb.jpg

Iv been really meaning to finish the rear but iv kind of been busy getting some of this stuff together

bdd4aaf30d247a2e3a01ed308e161a7a.jpg

27d96b263bb81e96521a2e9db0457094.jpg

Hmm I think may have said in an earlier post they were 04 seats but I went to that yard again recently and the windshield said 02 on the one I pulled them out of. I guess now that you mention it they may sit higher but I can't tell the difference I kept the rear headrests and bent the bracket for them but I was also happily suprised to find them

Iv been really meaning to finish the rear but iv kind of been busy getting some of this stuff together

Thanks. So those are apparently WJ rear seats, probably from a Laredo. Do you think those rear seats make the rear passenger area more cramped or seating more upright? Would be great to see some photos, maybe in a separate thread if you are planning a WJ rear seat how-to post.

Thanks. So those are apparently WJ rear seats, probably from a Laredo. Do you think those rear seats make the rear passenger area more cramped or seating more upright? Would be great to see some photos, maybe in a separate thread if you are planning a WJ rear seat how-to post.
Ill get some picures up and probably copy and paste from this post when i do so.

I bent and cut the middle bracket and notched the wj side brackets (the ones by the door) There's a certain way to do it by using the stock bolt holes in the xj and notching the part of steel near the bottom the wj seat bracket into an L and they come out perfectly lined up but you sacrifice being able to put them down all the way. You can, (i tried it) but i dont recommend it as it seemed to put alot of stress on the mounting hardware and the seats themselves is all held together by plastic.

I was following the other write-ups up until i noticed there was a better way to do it. The reason there's been problems lining them up is because the wj bracket doesn't line up with the stock xj hole and thats where it needs to be so instead of drilling a new hole and moving the bracket which throws it all out of alignment you just notch the bracket and in conjunction with cutting and bending the middle bracket it all lines up and looks stock.

Then you can come in afterwards and drill the holes to put put the upper bolts in.

They're a little bigger. Id say you lose an inch of legroom but the difference in comfort is undeniable, i don't notice a difference in uprightness except that you have adjustable headrests now.

Ill get some picures up and probably copy and paste from this post when i do so.

I bent and cut the middle bracket and notched the wj side brackets (the ones by the door) There's a certain way to do it by using the stock bolt holes in the xj and notching the part of steel near the bottom the wj seat bracket into an L and they come out perfectly lined up but you sacrifice being able to put them down all the way. You can, (i tried it) but i dont recommend it as it seemed to put alot of stress on the mounting hardware and the seats themselves is all held together by plastic.

I was following the other write-ups up until i noticed there was a better way to do it. The reason there's been problems lining them up is because the wj bracket doesn't line up with the stock xj hole and thats where it needs to be so instead of drilling a new hole and moving the bracket which throws it all out of alignment you just notch the bracket and in conjunction with cutting and bending the middle bracket it all lines up and looks stock.

Then you can come in afterwards and drill the holes to put put the upper bolts in.

They're a little bigger. Id say you lose an inch of legroom but the difference in comfort is undeniable, i don't notice a difference in uprightness except that you have adjustable headrests now.

Interesting how we all have different experiences & priorities. They don't look anything like the headrests on my '02 WJ, but that might be an "Export" thing, & in the 6 months I had it I never did work out how to remove them or, perhaps, fold them down or, indeed, fold the seat down. 1st thing I've done with my XJ's is remove the centre headrest (yes, that is an "Export" feature, as they're obligatory) because they obscure the view in the interior mirror & the 1st time I fold the seat down I have to remove the others (then I have to find them all every year for inspection, when I put the rear seat back up). So, for me, that pantomime fitting a WJ back seat would definitely be filed under "more trouble than it's worth" ZJ front seats, however, do appeal but, perhaps because they are more comfortable, they don't seem to wear as well so chances of finding any are remote.

Well i ended up pausing on finishing the rear and did this instead 6.5" long arms, dont mind the baby tires

8d7b6e09999589424a7ac201826cc93d.jpg

7a75af32a5bd4d72c8e1c7f354354493.jpg

72dad9b4bc9100d4171a9b6a04930083.jpg

08874f05ab1341058a1ebb6fccd62e33.jpg

d227fd077e503068aefae5447fe63c4a.jpg

Well i ended up pausing on finishing the rear and did this instead 6.5" long arms, dont mind the baby tires

d227fd077e503068aefae5447fe63c4a.jpg

I've got the RC 4.5" long arm. Not using the passenger side upper arm significantly reduces front suspension bind. More supple and smoother ride. No undesirable change in drivability. I'm beefing up the driver side upper arm. I switched to 12 mm bolt flex joints on both ends of the passenger upper arm, and I'm going to gusset the bend in the lower arms. I'm going to run the Synergy dual durometer axle-side upper control arm bushing. Probably not needed, but better safe than sorry.

Man your builds awesome, your going to love the long arms I think.

Whats the warn killer being bolted on to?

Share some more photos

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

Attention to detail is fantastic here man.. love the fully restored feel ya got to the interior. Where'd you find the carpet? Was it xj specific, or didja have to cut and bend it to fit? Everything looks killer man

I've got the RC 4.5" long arm. Not using the passenger side upper arm significantly reduces front suspension bind. More supple and smoother ride. No undesirable change in drivability. I'm beefing up the driver side upper arm. I switched to 12 mm bolt flex joints on both ends of the passenger upper arm, and I'm going to gusset the bend in the lower arms. I'm going to run the Synergy dual durometer axle-side upper control arm bushing. Probably not needed, but better safe than sorry.

Interesting ill have a look at what your talking about when i flex test it, for now its been sitting until i get new tires and get the slip yoke eliminator refunded so i haven't got to take it out yet unfortunately but ill definitely come back to this post and compare

Thank you guys, its been a fun adventure for sure. I might care about this thing even more than i care to admit but its definitely been worth it.

I kind of got held up. I ordered the np231 rough country slip yoke eliminator from their website because it said free 3 day shipping and in stock.

That was about a month ago and i finally just called them and canceled it a couple days ago. The problem now is they aren't going to refund my money until they receive the product back and i can't dispute it with my bank for a couple more days when it hits 30 days from purchase date. Customer Service was terrible. After a week i had sent them an email asking them to cancel the order then i got busy with life but I needed it rather quickly so i made sure it was in stock before i ordered even if it had taken a few more days i wouldn't have minded but when i did call they tried telling me it was my fault and after refusing my refund until they get it back i just decided i won't be purchasing anything from that company ever again.

Back