• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Totalled Jeep, how much is it worth? Please help

jackdes

NAXJA Forum User
I'm looking for some help evaluating and finding similar vehicles to show to my insurance company that my XJ is worth much more than blue book value.

I got run off the road on I-70 going about 60 mph by an out of control driver last Saturday morning. I don't know what she was doing, but I think she fell asleep, drove off the left side of the highway, overcorrected and smashed right into me in the right lane. This caused me to go into a sideways skid, and I ended up smashing into an embankment and rolling 2 and a quarter times. I'm ok as far as I know, was released from the ER and given meds for back/neck pain.

Anyhow, after consulting with a lawyer about vehicle value she said I would have to show similar vehicles for sale so I could get an above blue book value on my XJ.

Here's where you come in: Please send me any links of XJs similar to mine (the higher the dollar value the better).

Here's my XJ:
92 4.0L 4 door Sport
A/C, cruise control
~229,000 miles (20-25k on motor)
motor rebuilt with Comp Cam at 205,000 miles
ARB lockers front and rear (with compressor) (RD93 and RD104)
4.56 Superior gears
Super30 front axle shafts, axle seals
29 spline rear shafts (Superior) (C8.25)
SYE + HD rear driveshaft
4.5" RE SF lift including adj. trackbar and brace
JKS Gen II disconnects and LCA skids
Currie Currectrac steering
16x8 Pro Comp 1069 Alloys (x5)
305/70R16 BFG KM2s with 80-85% treadlife (x5)
JCROffroad Stage II sliders
JCROffroad Stage III rear tire carrier bumper
Optima Red Top battery
Flowmaster Delta 50 muffler
Rusty's airtube, motor mounts, t-case skid, front tow hook kit, steering box brace
Riddler diff cover F and R
99-04 WJ brake booster and master cylinder
RE stainless brake lines F and R
Yakima roof rack with 2 steelhead bike carriers
Stereo with iPod connection (not aux input, menu driven thru head unit)
This is a partial list of course, but it's the meat and potatoes. It ran like a top, super reliable.

note: suspension, steering, wheels and tires installed in May 2009

my email is [email protected]

glad you are ok! good luck with the insurance

glad you are ok! good luck with the insurance
X2. Get receipts for what you can, and your best bet is going to be buying it back and either transferring parts to another XJ or parting it out.

Don't have any links for you, but what you can do is add up your receipts (you do have receipts and shipment notices showing prices on all those, right? That'll come in very handy, I keep all my emails like that in a folder in case I need them...) and come up with a total dollar amount for parts. That should give them an idea of what they need to pay to replace the vehicle with one exactly like it, which is what you should be arguing for. If they balk or give you a lower number, start talking about labor costs as well, even if you did the build yourself. Also, as many others have said, NEVER take the adjuster's first offer. Keep pushing it back at them till you get what you want, you were not at fault and should not be accepting less than your vehicle was worth.

Further, see what the buyback will be on your old Jeep. A lot of that is going to be OK still (motor, lockers probably, stereo, booster, master cylinder, I wouldn't bet on anything else though) and you can use it as a parts vehicle if it is economical to get it back, which I would expect after 2.25 rolls.

EDIT: holy crap, Bill (RCman) posted what I did at the same time... probably because I am taking a lot out of his playbook. Listen to him, he went through a similar (but nowhere near as intense) deal with his insurance and came out pretty well.

Good luck with the insurance if you didnt declare the value to the insurance company prior to the accident!

good luck with the insurance

Yeah, I am going to get screwed on mine. I feel his pian. Glad you are OK OP and you better have saved all the receipts you could!

It depends on the insurance company and what you have declared with respect to modifications. If they think it is a stock vehicle that you have been paying premiums for, they will pay you for a stock vehicle. Totally depends on the company and what your agreement says.

I think you might be forgetting that it's not my insurance that is evaluating and paying out. She was at fault and it's her insurance that is to compensate.

Back